Southwest Missed Flight

cruisinfanatic

43 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Anyone have personal experience with missed SW flight. Do they just put you on the next one?

If you know you are going to miss the flight, you need to contact them and cancel some specific amount of time (I think 15 minutes) prior to scheduled departure, or you will forfeit the fare.

46 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Anyone have personal experience with missed SW flight. Do they just put you on the next one?

They'll put you on the next flight that has available seats, which may or may not be the next actual flight.  They will not kick someone off the next flight to accommodate you.  Also, depending on the fare you bought, you may have to pay a fare difference.

How SW handles this may  depend on the reason for missing your flight. When our cruise ship was unable to dock on time due to intense fog. I called SW from the ship that morning and advised we could not make our flight time and why. SW booked me on our desired flight for the next day and did not charge the extra fare since our delay was due to something out of our control.

WN will NOT just put on the next flight out.  They will place you on the next flight that has availability.  You may not get the nonstop flight - you may have to make connections.  Your flight may be within an hour or so, or it may be a few days out, depending on how booked the flights are to your destination.  

You must do your due diligence - have a list of acceptable flights ready to talk with agent.  

22 hours ago, 39august said:

How SW handles this may  depend on the reason for missing your flight. When our cruise ship was unable to dock on time due to intense fog. I called SW from the ship that morning and advised we could not make our flight time and why. SW booked me on our desired flight for the next day and did not charge the extra fare since our delay was due to something out of our control.

No.  They did not waive the fare difference because it wasn't your fault.   They waived it because they simply did you a favor.   If the reason for the missed flight is not within THEIR control, they really have no obligation to you.

• Like 2