Anyone Off Armonia's Cuba Cruises from Miami - Help!

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

I know responses may be limited or slim, as the ship is only on its second RT from Miami that stops in Havana, but I thought I would starthis thread so people can help with Armonia and Americans-In-Cuba specific questions.

My biggest questions relate to the disembarkation in Cuba. Is it really true you need an MSC excursion to disembark? Could I organize an excursion beforehand from a local company and go that way? Or is disembarkation like any other port, where I could come and go freely? I really want to start planning my two days in Havana and this will help me do so. Thank you! 

We’re not going to Cuba till May 6th but I did a lot of research on booking excursions 

MSCs wording is vague and they make it seem like you do BUT on their on website and by talking to a rep on the phone I was told we can book our own excursion through a 3rd party as long as it falls under the “people to people” clause 

MSC has a Vintage car tour for about $110 per person.  We booked the same tour privately through Old Car Tours for only $120 Total for the 3 of us.  Saving us $210 each day 😜

ive included a photo direct from MSCs website that also states you can book excursions privately 

Cant wait for our cruise and other people who just got off the Armonia to start posting how it was 

17D764CE-B1FE-46A7-B8CE-774D7A118C67.jpeg

We are doing this cruise for New Years Eve. I too have been doing a lot of research and talked to our travel agent who said exactly what LACal said. Her recommendation was that if you decide to leave the ship, not on an MSC excursion, but with a private company, be sure to have a "receipt" printed from the excursion company in order to get off the ship. It should state that the excursion meets the "people to people" requirement and the time your excursion is scheduled. If you have those things you shouldn't have any issues. You may not have issues anyway, but I would rather be over prepared and not need it then need it and not have it. Also she recommended paying for the excursion before you get there if possible. Usually the companies have an affiliate in America and they will let you pay for it with a credit card. Once you are in Cuba, our credit cards do not work. Happy cruising!

On 12/18/2018 at 11:58 AM, OceansOfTravels said:

Hello,

I know responses may be limited or slim, as the ship is only on its second RT from Miami that stops in Havana, but I thought I would starthis thread so people can help with Armonia and Americans-In-Cuba specific questions.

My biggest questions relate to the disembarkation in Cuba. Is it really true you need an MSC excursion to disembark? Could I organize an excursion beforehand from a local company and go that way? Or is disembarkation like any other port, where I could come and go freely? I really want to start planning my two days in Havana and this will help me do so. Thank you! 

Overall the cruise was OK.  The food was terrible.  Dining service was slow and the food was warm to cold.  Bar service was slow unless you went to the bar yourself.  Understand that this is the first time that this ship left from North America with many American passengers.  Breakfast was geared towards the European diet with many cold meats, fruits,  yogurt and bread

There was one omelet station.

The shows were good and different.  One of the main features was the Latin bands in some of the lounges.  Once they work out some kinks, I would try the ship again.

Pretty sure I'm going to book one of the May sailings.  Just off Divina last Thursday (my first on MSC but >30 cruises total).  It was a little different, which is what I was hoping for.  I liked the European flair.  Ship was too big for me, though.  I think I'll like Armonia more.

I would imagine the activities are pretty much the same as you get on all mainline cruises - bingo, karaoke, dance club, shopping, spa, evening shows.  They were on Divina.  And whether or not the pool areas are crowded usually depends on the weather.  I've never seen a pool area on any ship that wasn't pretty much packed unless it was cold and/or raining.

Main thing I would like to know is if they show movies during the day. I sailed Divina in 2017 and they had a pool side movie usually. I saw that Armonia doesn't have the pool side screen and wondered if they had something comparable. My 14 yr old and 8 yr old are curious. They enjoyed the F1 car and 4D movies on Divina and are planning their daytime activities for Armonia. Also, being that is a smaller ship, is the amount of deck chairs relatively appropriate for the number of guests. I found Divina to me more than accommodating even during peak times. We were not as impressed with Adventure of the Seas earlier this year. 

There are movies during the day, just not poolside.  It rained 6 out of 7 days, so I can't comment on poolside crowds.  I spent a lot of time in the lounges during the evening because the bands were pretty good.  However, some were brought on for the inaugural sailing.

Did anyone on this cruise from Canada have to get a Cuban Visa?   We are Canadian and not sure if we need to get a Visa for Cuba.   I know American passengers need a Visa.    If we do need one, not sure if we have to get it or if MSC get it for us.  Any info appreciated.