Hawaii here we come! Ovation

I’m back! Lol 

I gave up mid way into a review last time ... but forgive me :-) I plan to do better this next time. That said, it is quite a wait! 

We are super excited though! We booked the royal loft suite on the ovation for May 7, 2020. I am having fun reading Andy C’s thread as I imagine the demographic may not have too many littles for my (then) 8 year old to hang with and lots of competition for the lounge...  but when you have a room like that ... we may just stay in the room. 

Actually I am just going to be glad to be on vacation. My project will be over a few months prior and I can relax on the first 2 week vacation in forever. As icing on the cake,  I can make my dad a happy man... he has always wanted to see Pearl Harbor. He was career military. 

There are not many ovation reviews, and we have never been to Hawaii,  so this will all be a bit of surprise for us! 

Yeah... only a LOT of days between now and then. ( but don’t cry for me ... In August, we are in Alaska on Ovation). 

I welcome comments or recommendations! 

Leanna

1 hour ago, cruiselover04 said:

We’ve just booked this cruise too, travelling with friends. Never been to Hawaii, Quantum class ship and a virtual balcony, lots of “firsts” for us. 

Come and join the roll call for this cruise. 

Jenni 

Jenni 

I went to look for the roll call and cannot find it ...? Are you on there? 

22 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Are you doing a few days in Hawaii in advance?

We haven’t decided. I think my boss is already not so thrilled that I may be gone for an entire 2 weeks (trust me.... my team can run the ship without me!). I would like to arrive so that we have 1 full beach day, embark and enjoy day, and then have the second day in Honolulu for Pearl Harbor! I think that is enough for us to be quite honest. 

We are also booked on this cruise......our 3rd cruise around Hawaii on Royal ships (2014, 2018, and now 2020). We are arriving  in Honolulu on the 3rd. of May so that we can do some of the things we didn't see in our 2 previous visits.  

This year we rented a car and took the Shaka Self Guided Tour which guides you around the Windward and Northern part of the island , taking you to Leonard's Bakery, the Byodo Temple, the Kualoa Ranch where Jurassic Park was filmed, the North Shore, and the Dole Plantation, just to name a few of the stops, with commentary and Hawaiian music  included on this phone app - so cool to do.  We did all of this in a single day, and had the rental car back by 6PM -You can purchase the app on the app store.  In 2020 we plan to do the Southern Shaka Tour with a rental car.  I encourage everyone to go early into Oahu, as there is so much to do.   Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach, Duke's, etc etc etc.  Driving is easy - just avoid rush hours and you will do fine.  Since we are staying within a block of Waikiki Beach, we only rent a car for a day or two......the other days you can walk everywhere.

Feel free to ask any questions - I will respond to the best of my ability.....

23 hours ago, SwissMiss USA said:

Jenni 

I went to look for the roll call and cannot find it ...? Are you on there? 

Hi,

Yes, I’m on the roll call - it’s called Ovation May 7 2020 Hawaii to Vancouver. 

I’ve also just read the roll call for next years cruise. Helps to pick up info re: hotels etc. 

Jenni 

Edited by cruiselover04

We spent 6 days in Honolulu in Oct. prior to our cruise.  If possible, don't cut your time short there.  There is a lot of beautiful areas to go.  The tours mentioned in earlier posts sound great.  We rented a car and drove ourselves around the island.  One note,  the Arizona Memorial is currently closed due to a crack.  I would expect that by 2020 it'll finally reopen, but you might want to keep an eye on that.  It was supposed to open before we arrived, and last I looked it's still closed.  

I am also happy to answer any questions about Honolulu if you have any.  Sounds like a great cruise!  

On 12/26/2018 at 10:22 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Are you doing a few days in Hawaii in advance?

I know I would like to, but it depends on how much extra time off I'll be able to hoard before going on the cruise.  My husband and I don't like to let too much time off build up. 🙂