Norwegian Getaway - Best Main Dining Room ?

RHilla619

Hi all, I have my first NCL cruise coming up in April and dining reservations were made available today. For those of you who have sailed on the Getaway before, which dining room did you prefer any why? Trying to figure out if I should make my reservations for the week in Savor, Taste, or Tropicana. Thanks in advance!

No need for reservations if you have a small party for the main dining rooms. The MDRs have the same menu, it just depends on what atmosphere you’re feeling. We loved Tropicana for the music and dancing. If you want a quiet, intimate meal choose Taste or Savor as they are much smaller. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 2:26 PM, alyssazoll said:

No need for reservations if you have a small party for the main dining rooms. The MDRs have the same menu, it just depends on what atmosphere you’re feeling. We loved Tropicana for the music and dancing. If you want a quiet, intimate meal choose Taste or Savor as they are much smaller. 

Thanks Alyssa!

On 12/22/2018 at 2:22 PM, RHilla619 said:

Hi all, I have my first NCL cruise coming up in April and dining reservations were made available today. For those of you who have sailed on the Getaway before, which dining room did you prefer any why? Trying to figure out if I should make my reservations for the week in Savor, Taste, or Tropicana. Thanks in advance!

We prefer Savor or Taste, but there is no need for reservations in any of the main dining rooms.

We liked Tropicana (we got off the Getaway yesterday) for the live music. As it is, we never got to see any dancing in it.

We had one dinner in Taste - no music, kind of quiet and more formal than Tropicana. Service was much slower, even though it was half empty at 9 pm.

We are Princess food fans, so we were not at all impressed by Norwegian MDR dinners... A couple of times we actually just went to the buffet - 1) because the MDR menu was not impressive to say the least and 2) the slow service would have interfered with the 7:30 pm show time.

We were on the sister ship, the Breakaway where we ate at all three main dining rooms.  The menus were identical for all three.  Reservations were not required and the wait times were no more than 15-20 minutes.

Of the three dining rooms, we preferred the Manhattan, which I assume is the equivalent of the Getaway's Tropicana.  It was the largest of the three dining rooms.   It had live music and a dance floor.  

On the two nights where there was a production show, we made reservations prior to cruising.  The Maitre d' seated us at tables next to the dance floor.  Not that there was a lot of dancing. The dancers were mostly kids and they were close to the stage.  The one time we did not have a reservation, we were seated much further from the dance floor.  No big deal, though.

For us, we were fine at any of the dining rooms, but my personal preference was the Manhattan Room as it was the largest dining room, with live music and it felt like a main dining room on a cruise ship.  The Savor and Taste were smaller venues and they felt more like a restaurant than a main dining room.

The Tropicana will give you the more traditional cruise dining room feel. Taste and Savor were our go to places for breakfast most days. Service was good for those. Slower service for Taste and Savor for dinner. We did reservations in all dining rooms for dinner because we were a group of 10.