Delta Changed My Flight Times Barcelona to Detroit

taylortime05

I just noticed that our flight home next Oct from Barcelona to Detroit was changed.  We have layover in JFK and thought original times were tight but with this change I don’t think there is anyway we will make the connecting flight.  I checked on Delta website and they aren’t showing this as option any longer.  Our original flight left Barcelona at 12:10 arriving JFK at 3:05 and departing at 4:55.  The new times leave Barcelona at 12:45 arriving JFK at 3:44 departing at 4:55 pm.

I booked thru Choice Air.  I was going to call to see if they could switch our flights but trying to determine best option.

I think I want my flight from Barcelona to be after noon and we are flying home same day we arrive back on port.  So I see 2 options on Delta.  We could leave on same flight from Barcelona with 3 h 15 m layover in JFK and arrive in DTW at 9:20 pm.   Or leave Barcelona and go thru Paris with 1 H 25 m layover and arrive in DTW at 6:15 pm.   I prefer to get home earlier if possible.  Not sure if Paris layover is just as bad as the short layover I have at JFK now.  But I wouldn’t need to go thru customs at Paris.

Which do you think is the better option?  I’m not positive they will even change it for me but worth a shot.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

... I’m not positive they will even change it for me but worth a shot.

Thanks

I've had very good luck with Choice Air changing tight connections for us. 

Personally, I'd go for the longer layover even though you get home later.

Your connection in Paris would be from T2F to one of the several concourses that makes up the T2E terminal.  I would not want to do this in the time frame posted. 

And though you would not go through "customs" in Paris, you would go through Schengen departure passport control at CDG.

I do not believe 1 H 10 min is enough time for emigration, getting you luggage, customs and transfer in JFK,  while 1H 25 should be enough at CDG despite Schengen passport departure control. As long as you have both flight at same PNR -  in CDG airline will take care of you luggage.

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I checked on Delta website and they aren’t showing this as option any longer.  Our original flight left Barcelona at 12:10 arriving JFK at 3:05 and departing at 4:55.  The new times leave Barcelona at 12:45 arriving JFK at 3:44 departing at 4:55 pm. ...

So I see 2 options on Delta.  We could leave on same flight from Barcelona with 3 h 15 m layover in JFK and arrive in DTW at 9:20 pm. ...

Which do you think is the better option?  I’m not positive they will even change it for me but worth a shot.

They will change it, because as far as I can see the new times mean that the connection is no longer legal. The Minimum Connect Time for this one looks like it's 1:25. Delta would probably automatically rebook the connection when some automated process discovers the illegal connection, even if you were to do nothing. It might simply take several weeks.

Personally, I'd take the 3:10 connection at JFK. I might even have picked that originally over the other options, although I don't have a US passport.

8 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thanks

Another option (depending on date) is WestJet from Barcelona to Toronto connecting to Delta to Detroit.   WestJet and Delta partner with each other.  Toronto Terminal 3 (where WestJet and Delta operate from is not as nice a Terminal 1), however it is still a better option that JFK or Paris.  You would clear US customs/immigration in Toronto.

1 hour ago, em-sk said:

Another option (depending on date) is WestJet from Barcelona to Toronto connecting to Delta to Detroit.   WestJet and Delta partner with each other.  Toronto Terminal 3 (where WestJet and Delta operate from is not as nice a Terminal 1), however it is still a better option that JFK or Paris.  You would clear US customs/immigration in Toronto.

We are traveling on Oct 12 and I checked Delta and do not see this as an option.  Thanks for info.

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

They will change it, because as far as I can see the new times mean that the connection is no longer legal. The Minimum Connect Time for this one looks like it's 1:25. Delta would probably automatically rebook the connection when some automated process discovers the illegal connection, even if you were to do nothing. It might simply take several weeks.

Personally, I'd take the 3:10 connection at JFK. I might even have picked that originally over the other options, although I don't have a US passport.

I’m leaning towards the longer layover in JFK.  Thanks for feedback.

Do you think I should consider earlier flights leaving Barcelona?   I was only looking at flights after noon since we are arriving back in port that day. They have other flights leaving around 10:00 am.  My goal is to get us home as early as possible with as little stress as possible.  I’m still leaning towards longer layover in JFK.  

Thanks

To tell you the truth, coming off an international flight, I wouldn’t consider a 3:15 layover for JFK long...it’s probably closer to ideal for JFK, than not.    Have a nice dinner there if you find you have the time. If not,  you won’t stress.  How long is your drive from DTW that a 9:30 pm arrival seems late?

I would not attempt a pre 10 am in BCN.  That airport has also had labor issues slowing things down in Security. 

Edited by buggins0402

We have about 45 minute drive from the DTW airport.  9:30 isn't that late but I was just trying to get us home on Saturday as early as possible with as little stress as possible.  We don't go back to work until Monday.  It looks like leaving Barcelona at 12:45 and having 3:15 layover in JFK will minimize stress of missing a flight in Barcelona or JFK.   We are both still working so I do not want to take more than 12 days vacation for this trip.  We are arriving in Barcelona Thurs afternoon and the cruise doesn't leave until Monday so we have 3 full days to explore Barcelona. 

I'm going to call Choice Air tomorrow to see if they will change my flight to this later departure at JFK.   

35 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

We have about 45 minute drive from the DTW airport.  9:30 isn't that late but I was just trying to get us home on Saturday as early as possible with as little stress as possible.  We don't go back to work until Monday.  It looks like leaving Barcelona at 12:45 and having 3:15 layover in JFK will minimize stress of missing a flight in Barcelona or JFK.   We are both still working so I do not want to take more than 12 days vacation for this trip.  We are arriving in Barcelona Thurs afternoon and the cruise doesn't leave until Monday so we have 3 full days to explore Barcelona. 

I'm going to call Choice Air tomorrow to see if they will change my flight to this later departure at JFK.   

Ok, just wanted to make sure you weren’t driving to Petoskey and had to be into work the next day. A little longer connection time and a later arrival time in DTW will be much less stressful than sitting in a long security/passport control line, on a tight connection, in an airport with which you are unfamiliar. You will have immigration in JFK, so arriving in DTW will be like arriving on a domestic flight.  Traffic will be light at that hour unless you run into the usual roadwork 🚧 and be in bed before midnight.   JFK isn’t my favorite, but it is your best choice given what you have told us. 

That said, I love my time in Europe so much, we have done connections through AMS that add a night there, with the first flight in the AM and gone into work for a few hours in the afternoon after arrival. 

On 12/26/2018 at 5:51 PM, taylortime05 said:

We are traveling on Oct 12 and I checked Delta and do not see this as an option.  Thanks for info.

On October 12: 

WS 15 - Departs Barcelona 12:30 Arrives Toronto 15:25  B767-300

WS 6324 (Operated by Delta Connections) Depart Toronto 17:45 Arrives Detroit 19:12 CRJ7

Edited by em-sk

11 hours ago, em-sk said:

On October 12: 

WS 15 - Departs Barcelona 12:30 Arrives Toronto 15:25  B767-300

WS 6324 (Operated by Delta Connections) Depart Toronto 17:45 Arrives Detroit 19:12 CRJ7

I’m not sure this is an option since I booked with choice air. Also,   I just looked it up on West Jet and the flight  from Toronto is the next day.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:21 PM, buggins0402 said:

Ok, just wanted to make sure you weren’t driving to Petoskey and had to be into work the next day. A little longer connection time and a later arrival time in DTW will be much less stressful than sitting in a long security/passport control line, on a tight connection, in an airport with which you are unfamiliar. You will have immigration in JFK, so arriving in DTW will be like arriving on a domestic flight.  Traffic will be light at that hour unless you run into the usual roadwork 🚧 and be in bed before midnight.   JFK isn’t my favorite, but it is your best choice given what you have told us. 

That said, I love my time in Europe so much, we have done connections through AMS that add a night there, with the first flight in the AM and gone into work for a few hours in the afternoon after arrival. 

Hi - I just called Flights by Celebrity today.  The lady I spoke to recommended 2 options to me.  Which do you think is the better option and why?  Thanks for your help.  I plan to call back this afternoon and request the change.

1) Leave Barcelona at 12:45 arriving  DTW at 9:20 PM with 3H 15M layover at JFK. 

2)  Leave Barcelona at 10:05 arriving DTW at 6:15 PM with 3 H 35M layover in Paris. 

44 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Hi - I just called Flights by Celebrity today.  The lady I spoke to recommended 2 options to me.  Which do you think is the better option and why?  Thanks for your help.  I plan to call back this afternoon and request the change.

1) Leave Barcelona at 12:45 arriving  DTW at 9:20 PM with 3H 15M layover at JFK. 

2)  Leave Barcelona at 10:05 arriving DTW at 6:15 PM with 3 H 35M layover in Paris. 

Well, you do seem bound and determined to avoid the 9:20 pm arrival in DTW. BCN is not that far from the port and in most cases you should be able to make the 10:05.  It is probably just me, but I like to leave some wiggle room for the multitude of things that could make me late for a transatlantic flight.  In August 2017, BCN was a mess with security slowdowns. Not in Barcelona, but once we had a total port stop at disembarkation in Civitavecchia due to a thunder storm....I am sure people with early flights missed them.  Adding to that,  you are using cruise air, which usually puts you at the bottom of the pecking order for rescheduling.

That said, once you get to CDG, DL has a multitude of ways to get you home that day, if things go wrong with flights and you do have a day buffer before you have to be into work.

I guess,  ask yourself whether you would recommend a European to take a 10 am flight home from a Florida airport post Caribbean cruise.  

5 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Option 1.   The extra 20 min at JFK with option 2 won't likely matter, but the extra 2:40 before your BCN departure could easily end up mattering.  Besides, the 9:20 arrival into DTW is still a pretty reasonable hour, even if you do have a 45 min drive afterward.  You should be easily be able to be asleep in your own bed by 11pm.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Option 1.   The extra 20 min at JFK with option 2 won't likely matter, but the extra 2:40 before your BCN departure could easily end up mattering.  Besides, the 9:20 arrival into DTW is still a pretty reasonable hour, even if you do have a 45 min drive afterward.  You should be easily be able to be asleep in your own bed by 11pm.

I agree with you and buggins0402.  I just called Celebrity and requested to move to the later flight leaving JFK.  They said the airline made an exception for the smaller layover time because both arriving & departing flights are at terminal 4.  I asked that they still submit my request for the change because I think that will be very difficult to make that connecting flight.  I thought they would call Delta while I waited, but they said it will take 72 hours to get a reply if Delta is willing to make the change with no fee's.  So I'll wait and see what happens.    Thanks for all your help.

When you get confirmation from your Celebrity agent continue to monitor your flights because schedules change. More than likely your domestic flights would be the change but we just had a substantial (and changeable) change on an transatlantic flight five months out. Delta schedule changes occur over each weekend. You don't need to check weekly but wait until Sundays or Mondays when the schedules settle down. Also note that your assigned seats can change with an equipment change even if the time(s) do not if you are booked into any class above Basic Economy with seat assignments as early as 24 hours pre-flight or at the gate.

If you do not have a Delta frequent flyer number get one. You can also install the app.

And, btw, the agent who told you that you wouldn't have a time issue at T4 has never been to JFK!!!!! In addition Delta uses 2 terminals and there is no way to predict which one or ones you will use.