Does Celebrity's Cruise Care cover pre-existing?

mafig

I did some research on a couple of independent insurance company travel policies, whose terms are likely similar to the Celebrity-sponsored product (though cheaper).  The two I saw both offered a no pre-existing condition policy as long as the policy is taken out within 14 days of first payment. 

That is true...we just put 111.00 down on our cruise for 2020, covering only our deposit. It makes sure that we have no pre-existing conditions to worry about, as my father has so many issues.  We will cover the rest of our cruise at final payment, adding airfare if we do not use points.  The only issue if you pay for all of it immediately,, and your cruise is not for a couple of years, you cannot get the insurance back.  So, that is why we only pay it upfront on 900...Insurance for me is peace of mind!

Edited by Lastdance

The exact rules are here, read them. They vary by state: https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Celebrity

The short answer is that anything that required a change in medical treatment in the 60 days prior to buying cruisecare isn’t covered. So if you have an illness but your prescription hasn’t changed in years, it isn’t considered pre-existing.   If it required some sort of treatment or change in treatment in that 60 day window, it is considered preexisting. 

One of the perks of private insurance is that they will waive the pre-existing condition stuff. HOWEVER they often require more coverage. (Like all non-refundable parts of the trip must be covered. So if you book non-refundable airline or hotel or whatever it must be covered under the plan.)

Last time I researched the Celebrity policy I found one mention to a pre-existing condition waiver but found nothing else about it.  I suspected it wasn't available in my state.  I also do private insurance to get better coverage limits at a lower price.  The one nice thing about the Celebrity policy is if you end up with a non covered event Celebrity will still provide you with a 75% Future Cruise Credit good for 1 year.

No insurance company will pay if the condition that causes the claim was likely to occur during the term of the policy....I don't recall the exact words.  If you (or member of your family) is dying and on their last legs, you can't just insure and go on a cruise expecting the insurance company to pay...and they won't....that's not a pre-existing condition and not something that any company will waive.  If you have weeks or months to live and die on the cruise, the insurance company won't pay.

I don't think this is even in the fine print......but it is both logical and covered somewhere.  Check with your travel insurance company if you are in this type of situation...before you buy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, DannyS said:

The exact rules are here, read them. They vary by state: https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Celebrity

The short answer is that anything that required a change in medical treatment in the 60 days prior to buying cruisecare isn’t covered. So if you have an illness but your prescription hasn’t changed in years, it isn’t considered pre-existing.   If it required some sort of treatment or change in treatment in that 60 day window, it is considered preexisting. 

One of the perks of private insurance is that they will waive the pre-existing condition stuff. HOWEVER they often require more coverage. (Like all non-refundable parts of the trip must be covered. So if you book non-refundable airline or hotel or whatever it must be covered under the plan.)

in essence given the above..Celebrity's Cancellation Policy (not really insurance) does NOT have a pre existing condition waiver and in addition, if you opt for the cancellation for " no reason" you only get cruise credit ( 75%) but no money back...plus if you buy their airline flights no matter when or why you cancel you still owe Celebrity $200 per person!!!!!

Keep in mind that irrespective of statements of waiving pre-existing conditions, no travel insurance policy will cover an event that is likely to happen at the time of your cruise...eg. close relative in hospice........or your cruise given a short term prognosis of illness/death.

I suggest that you call one of the on-line travel insurance companies (squaremouth, insuremytrip,....) and discuss whether YOUR situation would be covered by the policies they sell.