Ensenada

gramdog47

tourist shopping and restaurants are near to the port and are within walking distance unless you have some mobility issues and can't walk more than a short distance.  I would look to a food and wine tour if you want to get out of town.  Visit Hussong's if you prefer to see a reasonably authentic cantina without leaving the Ensenada tourist district.  Mariachis should be playing here if you come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussong's

I personally think locations like La Bufadora (The Blow Hole) are a waste of time even though the drive to get their is pleasant.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, gramdog47 said:

Will visit Ensenada in February 2019.  Any recommendations for tours?  How convenient are shopping, dining and drinking venues to port . . . walking distance?

There is a tourist bus that runs from the port to the north end (I think) of downtown Ensenada just about every 20 minutes.  It costs around ~$3-4 per person return.  

Once you are downtown, you can wander the main street and see the local shops and bars.  We spent most of one afternoon in a local craft store just 2 blocks down Av. Ruiz.   I cannot for the life of me remember it's name, they had so much locally made stuff.   We bought a bunch of tin craft items that we gave away for Christmas this year.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:09 AM, Valiamo said:

There is a tourist bus that runs from the port to the north end (I think) of downtown Ensenada just about every 20 minutes.  It costs around ~$3-4 per person return.  

Once you are downtown, you can wander the main street and see the local shops and bars.  We spent most of one afternoon in a local craft store just 2 blocks down Av. Ruiz.   I cannot for the life of me remember it's name, they had so much locally made stuff.   We bought a bunch of tin craft items that we gave away for Christmas this year.

I always visit BAZAR CASA RAMIREZ shop, which sounds like what you went to also. 2 Stories, unique items, lovely staff. I'll be going back in February. 

I was just over at Trip Advisor looking for a reputable, highly recommended Day Spa. I wanted to surprise my hard working sweet hubby with a massage on the ship. $$$ !!!

So, that's when I decided, look online. Ensenada Massage is on FB, also their own website. They have Cruise Specials for Couples, I'm interested. Just thought I'd pass this along.

My hubby & I did the Hussongs partying in our 20's. Oh my gawd, even in our "youth" what a friggin hangover the next day. Started drinking margaritas in Ensenada, continued the party till we passed out that night on the ship!  Do NOT miss those days. But, if your game, seems I remember it being fun. 

Last visit with my Mom & my friend, we stopped by another crazy bar with loud music. Seeing grown ups of ALL sizes being fed a shot and then picked up by a Staff member, TURNED OVER & shaken was unbelieveable!! I'm sober now, but 🤣🤣🤣!  

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

14 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

I always visit BAZAR CASA RAMIREZ shop, which sounds like what you went to also. 2 Stories, unique items, lovely staff. I'll be going back in February. 

That's the place.  No wonder I could not find it on Ave. Ruiz, it is around the corner on Primera (according to Google maps)   Thanks for the reminder and the place name.   Like you say the staff is lovely, and they have two stories of very unique and mostly unique crafts.   

As for partying around the town.. we were not quite as brave as your.  But.. then again,  we were there the day after their Carnival celebration, and the town was quite sedate (think everyone was sleeping of the previous nights party).  Loads of confetti and party favours all over the place.

Thanks

Ron

We've done the La Bufadora tour and enjoyed it.  I almost feel like if it's your first, you should do it :classic_biggrin:  There are vendors there, so you can also buy stuff (or not).  The last 2 times, I ended up wandering around town looking for fish tacos at the local stands.  There's 1 closer by that's a sit down place, but others are cart-style.  One time, we also went to a museum, Museo de Historia, hopefully it's the right one... either $2 or 4/pp.  Then we found ourselves in a courtyard where there were several vendors.  Turned out to be a tour stop for other tourists.   

If you google, there are many blogs and stories on taquerias you can try.  This one is the closest to a restaurant for us:  Tacos Don Zefe on the corner of Riveroll and Mutualismo.  There is an indoor area where you can sit and eat.  I think you can order from your server, but we usually order at the counter.  They are pretty good w/the exchange rate as well.  It's the most comfortable, but if you walk several blocks up from the main street, it's definitely more of a local scene.  Not always seating, no one speaks English... but in all cases, the food is yummy!  And cheaper as you walk away... I can't remember the details, but I think we got tacos as inexpensive as 30 cents each.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:40 PM, msstatemom said:

Are the wine and food tours through the ship or independent tours?

Like most places they can be booked either way.  Ships tours were large groups in regular tour buses.  We had either 6 or 8 in a small van.  We paid considerably less.  Sorry I do not have the name of the company handy.   Only difference was that the ships buses came right up the dock to the ship while we had to walk out the gate about a quarter mile.   No difference at the end because we had the driver drop us off in town and walked back anyway.

You can walk around on your own pretty easy if you're comfortable saying no to vendors constantly. The downtown core is just a few blocks up. And right at the pier is a boardwalk with free WiFi and fountain shows

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been to Massage and Facial Care several times, really good spa owned by an ex Pat.  http://bestbajamassage.com/

Easy walking distance from the cruise port.

On the way back to the ship, I've stopped at La Guerrerense.   Has been called the worlds best street food by chefs like Bourdain, featured in  travel & food articles.  Amazing food.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffreymorrison/2018/03/16/la-guerrerense-the-best-food-in-ensenada/#4f3b536c5c11

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Does anyone know if there is a grocery store anywhere near the port in Ensenada? I love the grocery near the dock in PV-better prices to stock up on vanilla and tequila! Thanks...

There is a small one called Siete Once near the port, or for a much bigger one, El Roble, in the shopping district (Miramar 637, Zona Centro).

On 1/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, centralcalicruzer said:

We just did the wine-tasting for the first time last month and really enjoyed it! Two wineries, lots of food to snack on with your wine (cheese, bread, olives, crackers, jellies, etc. but quite filling), plus we each received a bottle of wine to bring back. 

I am thinking of taking the wine tour. Which tour operator did you use?  Or did you do the ship's excursion? 

thanks. 

If you want to do your own walking tour, it's about 1 hour of walking + stops that can include the historic hotel, shopping, cantina, fish market, and a harbor cruise (super cheap if you know where to look for it and a blast).  Details can be found at https://thehotflashpacker.com/things-to-do-in-ensenada-while-on-cruise/

The downtown area is an easy 10 min. walk from the cruise ship pier.  Lots of restaurants and shopping.  Very pleasant.  You do need to cross a busy highway and they do not tend to stop for peds.  There is usually a crowd walking to town-just follow them.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lillulu said:

We will be there from 6 PM until 11 PM...is there much to do within walking distance of the port? And is it safe as I will have my daughter with me. Thank you in advance.

Shops and restaurants are in walking distance.

If I was in the shopping district at 10PM I think I'd take a cab back to the ship. Your two biggest dangers would be a) getting lost trying to get back to the port b) Mexican drivers, who thinks lane lines, stop signs, etc are suggestions.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Shops and restaurants are in walking distance.

If I was in the shopping district at 10PM I think I'd take a cab back to the ship. Your two biggest dangers would be a) getting lost trying to get back to the port b) Mexican drivers, who thinks lane lines, stop signs, etc are suggestions.

Yikes!!!!! Not sure if I want to risk it. I would probably only want to get a magnet and shot glass as I collect those. Maybe a shirt for my daughter. And then head on back to the ship. I think I will check the ships excursions again. We are not drinkers so, doing a wine food tasting wouldn't work for us. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, The Phoenixx said:

I am thinking of taking the wine tour. Which tour operator did you use?  Or did you do the ship's excursion? 

thanks. 

We twice used Baja Test Kitchen tours while on stops in Ensenada and highly recommend them. They take you to the smaller, and arguably, better wineries than the ship tours will take you to. Also, smaller tour groups, which helps. You can add lunch to the tour and they will get you into one of many great restaurants in the Valle de Guadalupe. We've recently taken a tour with BTK separate of a cruise that was spectacular. They usually have weekend tour groups, but you can contract them for a private tour as well.