snorkeling?

Califonria cruiser

31 minutes ago, Califonria cruiser said:

Wondering if anyone can comment on what is a great place to snorkel? I am visiting Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan and trying to figure out which place to snorkel and where to do it. Any thoughts? Going with a 9 year old and 15 year old so beginner levels but have done it several times before.

Jenn

Have not made it (yet!) to Roatan, but snorkeling and diving there are supposed to be great.

Heading to Costa Maya next month, so I will try to remember to report back.

In Cozumel there's good snorkeling from the shore at the Money Bar, Chankanaab, etc. or you can take a boat tour out to the reef.  We've previously stopped at MB for an hour or two of good snorkeling, enjoyed snacks and a round of drinks, and then headed to one of the beach clubs (with pools, sandy beaches, and no good snorkeling) for the rest of the day.

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

I've snorkeled all three. Roatan is by far is the best. Take a taxi or ship excursion to the West Bay area. There's a beach and you can snorkel right from the shore. Lots of fish and water clarity is amazing. I've added a couple photos I took in the water there.

In Cozumel snorkeling is really good from the Money Bar.  You'll need a taxi to get there.  It's mostly rocky but they have steps that take you down into the water. 

Costa Maya snorkeling isn't all that good. You have to really go out far by boat to see anything. Not worth the effort.

If I could only pick one place of the three I would pick Roatan's West Bay every single time. 

DSCF2322.JPG

DSCF2333.JPG

• Like 1

Have to agree on Money Bar.  18 bucks round trip (well it was, its been a year or so), always feel safe (once you get out of taxi lol).  Current can be much if you are not catching it right- if you are against it, just go either further out or in- to catch the current- there is a map that shows that current on the wall by the rental area.  Mostly artificial reefs set about on the sea floor, worth it though.  My wife and I have seen Eel, Octopus- you have to be watching close for them, all kinds of drums and usuals.  Food at Money Bar is good- Guac is excellent.  Small area for laying out, and servers will take care of you.  Watch your conversions- I've had an older gent try to get us on the price once.  Otherwise great.  I'm also looking at Costa Maya snorkeling- haven't had much luck finding definitive answers.  Good Luck and have Fun.

West Bay in Roatan is some of the best snorkeling I have ever done.  Money Bar is usually my go to place if I'm wanting an inexpensive DIY day in Cozumel, but as one of the other members has said, the current can be a little strong there at times.

Here's a portion of blog post I did about Money Bar. I also have the menu if you need it...

Snorkeling at the Money Bar in Cozumel, Mexico

The Money Bar Beach Club is a short taxi ride from the Cozumel cruise port and fits the bill. They have tasty food and tasty drinks. 
IMG_2083.JPG
But the snorkeling is the stand out. While there's not much of a beach, they do have both lounge chairs and tables in the sand.
IMG_4499.JPG
IMG_4501.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG

And some great snorkeling. Even the snorkel boats come out to the area.
IMG_2088.JPG
But there is no need to pay someone else to take you out there. Just take the stairs down into the water.
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG

You'll see plenty of fish - and few people. Snorkel until your heart's content.
IMG_9501.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

If the kids like animals, check out Daniel Johnson's in Roatan. They offer pick up from the port, a tour of the monkey's and sloths, and then you get to go snorkeling. We did it in April and loved it and are scheduled again next week!  Only $55 per person too!

Edited by gopackgo21
  • Like 1

We went on Jolly Roger, Carnival exclusive excursion, in 2016 and are going again next week. It is an all inclusive excursion: food, drinks, snorkel equipment, on a catamaran type boat. Good crew and they cater to all levels, segregate them into experienced and beginner. Snorkeling off a boat is a neat experience, we do it at least once per cruise and Roatan is the best in my opinion, Cozumel second.

Took the excursion from Celebrity to West Bay Roatan with lunch and lounge chairs:  it was really spectacular!  Lots of slow swimming schools of colorful fish.  Couldn't get my wife out of the water... now she compares all snorkeling to this experience.  The condo resort next door (Infinity Bay, I think) looked like a great place to spend a week.

This time we're MSC Seaside with Jamaica, George Town, Cozumel and Nassau -- trying to build a port plan to include the better snorkeling and top notch sights (hopefully not as crowded as Dunns River Falls).

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to snorkel Roatan,  but my granddaughter age 10 wants to see the Monkey and Sloths. loves to snorkel too!

So we must do both!

Go packgirl, when did you snorkel with Daniel Johnson afterwards?  Did they drop you off?

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I really want to snorkel Roatan,  but my granddaughter age 10 wants to see the Monkey and Sloths. loves to snorkel too!

So we must do both!

Go packgirl, when did you snorkel with Daniel Johnson afterwards?  Did they drop you off?

You can also try Victor Bodden. We did the fun in the sun tour for $30 and it included the monkey and slothes and beach time. We have our own snorkel gear. If I go again I will do their Best of Roatan private tour and just do the monkey and slothes and west end beach so that we have more snorkeling time. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

So we must do both!

We just got back and did this same excursion again a few weeks ago. We were picked up at the port, taken to play with the animals, and then on to snorkeling. Daniel has his own boat and pier that you leave from so it is all in the same place. Once we got back to the pier, our driver for the day, Michelle, was waiting for us. She then took us to a resort for lunch and beach time. We ate and relaxed on the beach for a few hours and when we were tired she took us back to the port and dropped us off. 

This was our 2nd time in Roatan and I don't know that we would ever not do this excursion when we come back. We love it that much and the service has always been stellar. The snorkeling this time was not as great as our first, but that was due to the water being choppy. We still saw fish and a ton of coral.

Thank you, that is just what  needed to hear gopack.

Jean, now you made me rethink!   I would love to do more snorkeling, we have our own equipment. 

I used to dive all the time, but won't be able to with my granddaughter with me.

The only thing that concerns me, is I have never been to Roatan and I have not cruised for 16 years.  So I am just a little bit hesitant to try to maneuver us around in a timely fashion.

1 hour ago, gopackgo21 said:

We just got back and did this same excursion again a few weeks ago. We were picked up at the port, taken to play with the animals, and then on to snorkeling. Daniel has his own boat and pier that you leave from so it is all in the same place. Once we got back to the pier, our driver for the day, Michelle, was waiting for us. She then took us to a resort for lunch and beach time. We ate and relaxed on the beach for a few hours and when we were tired she took us back to the port and dropped us off. 

This was our 2nd time in Roatan and I don't know that we would ever not do this excursion when we come back. We love it that much and the service has always been stellar. The snorkeling this time was not as great as our first, but that was due to the water being choppy. We still saw fish and a ton of coral.

Which resort did you go to?

8 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Thank you, that is just what  needed to hear gopack.

Jean, now you made me rethink!   I would love to do more snorkeling, we have our own equipment. 

I used to dive all the time, but won't be able to with my granddaughter with me.

The only thing that concerns me, is I have never been to Roatan and I have not cruised for 16 years.  So I am just a little bit hesitant to try to maneuver us around in a timely fashion.

You won't have to maneuver yourself around if you go with Victor Bodden or Daniel Johnson. From what I have read they are pretty similar. This was my first time in Roatan and that is why I booked with Victor Bodden. You meet them at the pier and they transport you where you want to go. If all you want to do is go to the monkey/sloths and do snorkeling from the beach I would contact them and ask what it would cost and how much time you will get at each location. If I am reading their website correctly and their are only three of you it will be $45/person. If you have more people the price per person goes down. I hope this helps!

Edited by jean-lynd
correction
  • Like 1

If you go to the Roatan board there is a post by Tummy titled Video of our Victor Bodden Roatan Tour.  It is on page 5 and it gives you a very good idea what to expect.  I know there is a way to link to other posts but I don't know how to do that.  I hope this helps!

12 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Not many reviews for Las Palmas. What did you think of it? Was there building construction going on and busy with cruise excursions?

It wasn't very busy at all! The beach was very clean and they had nice chairs to lay on with and without shade. The water was crystal clear! They did have a few vendors selling braids and coconut water, but were not pesky. Once I said no they never came back. The resort looks to be newer so the facilities were all great. 

The food was a little pricey, but I expect that for a tourist destination. Some of what we had was amazing, and some was average. The service was great though. We saw the bartender walk into the ocean to deliver a lady her drink so that she didn't have to get out. 

Also, the vibe was much more relaxed here vs. Other beach clubs we have been to. We love the party vibe of Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel, but this was much more relaxing and low key. 

As for construction, I didn't notice any of it at all. 

One other note, what cruise line will you be on? They are doing a lot of road work right now in Roatan and our guide said that to get to West Bay from Mahogany Bay can take 2 hours due to only having 1 lane of traffic. 

2 hours ago, gopackgo21 said:

It wasn't very busy at all! The beach was very clean and they had nice chairs to lay on with and without shade. The water was crystal clear! They did have a few vendors selling braids and coconut water, but were not pesky. Once I said no they never came back. The resort looks to be newer so the facilities were all great. 

The food was a little pricey, but I expect that for a tourist destination. Some of what we had was amazing, and some was average. The service was great though. We saw the bartender walk into the ocean to deliver a lady her drink so that she didn't have to get out. 

Also, the vibe was much more relaxed here vs. Other beach clubs we have been to. We love the party vibe of Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel, but this was much more relaxing and low key. 

As for construction, I didn't notice any of it at all. 

One other note, what cruise line will you be on? They are doing a lot of road work right now in Roatan and our guide said that to get to West Bay from Mahogany Bay can take 2 hours due to only having 1 lane of traffic. 

Thanks a lot for your review. It is somewhere  i have often considered but not got round to trying yet. Reviews in years gone by have not been that great so I have always found somewhere else to go. 

We have just returned from Roatan and don’t have any more visits planned but will put it back on my to do list! I think the restaurant often changes management so that could make a big difference. It doesn’t sound like the condominium plans have materialized.

Agree with the traffic problem. We went to West Bay for the first time in Decenber and were amazed how bad the road was and that there wasn't more discussions about it on here. Previously we had always gone east but decided it was time to see West Bay since it is so popular.

Last week we just went as far as West End and journey was much better and we returned via Flower’s Bay and I was amazed how much quicker that seemed.