“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

Today we took the 2nd of 3 tours with Xuan...highly recommend him!!

Drove 2 hrs to the town of Cai Be on the Mekong River. Rode on a sampan boat, had lunch at a locals home, boarded a small boat where we got to taste many of the fruits a woman was selling, made rice paper and watch a man pop rice! Very fun!

Great pictures Bob and Go-Bucks.

The presentation of the fish on your canal tour looks exactly like the fish they presented us during our 2008 tour.  We thought it was quite good.  The mangosteens, in the lower left of the picture with all the fruits, remind me of the ones they had up at the Terrace when we were in the Bali/Philippines area.  Absolutely delicious.  If the ship gets any during your time in Vietnam, try it.  Very sweet.  How did they use the bottled snakes?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

How did they use the bottled snakes?

In China and Vietnam (and probably all over Asia). the snakes are soaked in alcohol for a long period of time and the infused liqueur is served as a health tonic. Rafael and Armando can try it during our cruise next year!

8 minutes ago, grmmybtty said:

In China and Vietnam (and probably all over Asia). the snakes are soaked in alcohol for a long period of time and the infused liqueur is served as a health tonic. Rafael and Armando can try it during our cruise next year!

Sure...   After you and I eat the boiled silk worm cocoons they consume for soft, facial skin.  Hey, we won’t have to visit the spa for a facial then!  Besides, Oceania is taking away that benefit in November, 2019.

I have organised a wine tasting tour of the Medoc region in Bordeaux on Monday June 17th.  We can very comfortably take another couple (making four plus our guide)

See below for the itinerary and the three wineries I have arranged to visit for tastings:

09:00 AM: Departure from your Oceania Insignia cruise ship ports in Bordeaux pier 

10:30 AM: Visit and wine tasting at château Mouton Rothschild in the Pauillac’s vineyard 

12:30: Lunch - Le Café Lavinal  near the town of Pauillac  (French gourmet brasserie)

02:30 PM: Wine tasting at château Gruaud-Larose in the St-Julien’s vineyard 

03:30 PM: Wine tasting at château Ferrière in the Margaux’s vineyard 

05:30 PM: Drop off at your Oceania Insignia cruise ship ports in Bordeaux pier

The tour is with Henri Challeau of Bordeaux Wine Travel (we have previously toured the St Emilion region with Henri and he was fabulous!)

The cost of the tour is €190 pp plus lunch plus gratuities (plus lunch for Henri).  This includes the cost of the wine tastings.

Please contact me by email at hilarysubs at gmail dot com if you are interested in another amazing day in Bordeaux!

cheers, Hilary

23 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

Great pictures Bob and Go-Bucks.

The presentation of the fish on your canal tour looks exactly like the fish they presented us during our 2008 tour.  We thought it was quite good.  The mangosteens, in the lower left of the picture with all the fruits, remind me of the ones they had up at the Terrace when we were in the Bali/Philippines area.  Absolutely delicious.  If the ship gets any during your time in Vietnam, try it.  Very sweet.  How did they use the bottled snakes?

We had mangosteens yesterday and loved them. Our guide bought us more today! Yum!!

They drink the snake wine, but no way I would!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Actually, my husband is snake-phobic so there is no way he would drink the wine either.

If the ship has a Vietnamese dinner night at the Terrace, go to the dessert area and check out the bowl of whole fruit that sits on top of the glass counter at eye level.  That’s where we found mangosteens hidden among the apples and other round fruits.  Once people find it, they are all gone in minutes!

LLPToday Xuan had us in Saigon...another fun day. Started out at the morning market for locals...most foods looked fantastic! The huge frogs were hopping around and chickens were crowing. Next we took a 45" trishaw ride in that crazy Saigon traffic...my life flashed by me a couple times but it was super fun. I took videos to prove my bravery! Then we got some time to shop at a great market and I got a Rolex....(wink, wink)...well, at least it looks like one.  Lunch was at a local Pho restaurant (pronounced "fuh") with the best I've ever had...no tourists anywhere in sight. Finally we visited the Saigon post office. Oh, and I bought a small bottle of snake wine to show the grandkids! I don't have time to post all my pics so more will be posted later.

I highly recommend Tour with Xuan for Vietnam touring...he'll do whatever you have in mind.

20190419_074314.jpg

20190419_074305.jpg

20190419_075035.jpg

Some of what we saw probably hasn't changed in 100s of years; women working in the fields,  fruit stands set up under trees with a bunch of guys hanging around talking, and that beautiful land. 

I've read letters sent back home from US soldiers in Vietnam and many talk about how beautiful Vietnam was and how they'd like to see it when it wasn't getting blown up. 

I remember hearing Anthony Bourdain say it was one of his favorite places in the world.

I am very glad to have had the opportunity to see it.  It was certainly an educational experience for me, and being there negated most of the pre-conceived negative perception’s of the country, I have harbored from the war years.

The people there were wonderful, but the climate is not to my liking, and so will probably not  visit there again...

We also visited the war museum...they displayed tanks and planes that the US Army left behind.  Here are some more pictures. First fruit is a mangosteen.  Some people can sleep anywhere!

20190419_152836.jpg

20190419_152847.jpg

20190419_130152.jpg

20190419_121934.jpg

20190419_115645.jpg

20190419_111151.jpg

20190419_111535.jpg

received_412126512669128.jpeg

20190419_075359.jpg

20190419_074444.jpg

20190419_073232.jpg

20190419_073258.jpg

Edited by Go-Bucks!

2 hours ago, pmm0317 said:

Was Insignia able to port RIGHT next to Saigon city??  When we were on Diamond Princess, the port was two hours away from Saigon. 

We were docked right downtown, Saigon...at Nha Rong Terminal.

You did have to negotiate a traffic hazardous bridge from the port, and they recommended taking a taxi or pedicab over it for safety, but you didn't have to....

Since everything was so close, there was no shuttle bus provided.

Edited by bob brown

Mangosteens!!!!!!!

Go-Bucks:  love your photos.  Love Vietnam.  Not sure about bringing home the preserved snake.  Ugh!  DH has a Rolex 😉 purchased years ago in Shanghai.

Bob:  enjoyed your photos too.  Can you imagine living in that heat with no AC???

We were in VIetnam in 2008 and will be revisiting twice next year.  We were there on an O ship and one of the passengers was hit by a motorcycle while crossing the street.  We had to leave her, her husband and their luggage so she could be observed for a night or two in a local hospital for a  possible concussion.  They rejoined the ship in Hong Kong.

5 hours ago, bob brown said:

We were docked right downtown, Saigon...at Nha Rong Terminal.

You did have to negotiate a traffic hazardous bridge from the port, and they recommended taking a taxi or pedicab over it for safety, but you didn't have to....

Since everything was so close, there was no shuttle bus provided.

Thank you, Bob. I do really appreciate your reply. 

• Like 1