Bringing on wine

dog

4 hours ago, barriedavis said:

Bringing wine on board in port calls is not allowed, only embarkation. 

We have over 300 sailing days with Princess and have never seen them restrict wine being brought on board at any port. It appears to me there is confusion over the initial one free bottle per person at embarkation and "other" bottles of wine at any port, which they can charge you $15.00 per bottle for.

Here are the rules:  

"Can I bring booze onboard a Princess cruise?------"guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted."

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, kennicott said:

But, if ship personnel are operating security screening, even without a bottle check desk, then you better be careful with spirits.

We only drink wine & my 10 bottles of beer from our elite minibar but that’s good to know.

We rarely even purchase duty free spirits onboard to take home because the few we considered buying were cheaper at Costco. ☺️

On 1/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, dog said:

I understand we can bring on one bottle of wine per person to consume in our cabin when we embark.

I am looking for an answer to this question below.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, dog said:

Can it be carried on or must it be packed in our luggage?

1 hour ago, dog said:

I am looking for an answer to this question below.

Can it be carried on or must it be packed in our luggage?

Here is what I said in #11----

"They do prefer you hand carry your wine on board but we have found that is not a hard and fast rule and can prove to be a real pain since it takes up so much room in your hand carry’s. So we leave it in our luggage. Some times I bring extra and am prepared to pay the $15.00 per, but they have never given us any grief. Never charged us either."

They state in a number of different places that-------  "At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked."---That language appears to recognize that alcohol can be brought on board in checked luggage as long as it is an "allowed amount". 

But then they say:-------Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage.----This language indicates that the only alcohol allowed on board is one bottle of wine or champagne per person and must be in carry-on luggage.

But then they say:----"Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted."

So, there you have it, very unclear. Having spent so much time cruising with Princess, I have to go with my experiences based upon their on-board practices. As I mentioned, most of the time we don't carry on our wine but leave it in our checked luggage. They have even opened our checked luggage before and found our wine which was more than the free allowance. They left a nice note. "You are in full compliance with our liquor policy, thank you."

So, in summary, to be on the safe side, bring your wine on board in carry-on luggage.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We rarely even purchase duty free spirits onboard to take home because the few we considered buying were cheaper at Costco. ☺️

Man, that is a good point, which I screwed up on about a year ago.---We got off the ship in Sydney, two nights and one day there. Flew to Honolulu and spent a week there. We bought quite a bit of Princess duty free liquor. I don't know what I was thinking about, maybe something to drink in Sydney as Australia might be difficult to purchase liquor in? Something to drink in Waikiki? Where there is a liquor store every 75 feet of reasonably priced liquor? On top of that, we had to almost smuggle the overpriced and overweight booze into the US as US customs is pretty stingy what they let in without extra taxes. Dumb.      

1 minute ago, kennicott said:

Man, that is a good point, which I screwed up on about a year ago.---We got off the ship in Sydney, two nights and one day there. Flew to Honolulu and spent a week there. We bought quite a bit of Princess duty free liquor. I don't know what I was thinking about, maybe something to drink in Sydney as Australia might be difficult to purchase liquor in? Something to drink in Waikiki? Where there is a liquor store every 75 feet of reasonably priced liquor? On top of that, we had to almost smuggle the overpriced and overweight booze into the US as US customs is pretty stingy what they let in without extra taxes. Dumb.      

we buy grande manuage from Princess every chance we get as the 1 liter bottle is cheaper than the 750mm at Costco. We use it to make Cadillac Margaritas. However, what I mean by chance is the ship docking in LA, our home port, for disembarkation. Would never buy it and pack it home in our luggage.

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Frank I agree.........I say that about most duty free purchases nowadays including electronics.

For me it’s been that way for a long, long time.  

Over a decade ago I considered purchasing a camcorder in St Thomas & asked about getting a lower price.  They asked about how I came up with that price & I said it was the price from a quality online electronics store in NYC who didn’t charge tax.  They immediately said they couldn’t come close to matching that store’s prices which ended any negotiation...bye, bye!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roo said:

Almost on the same topic....Does Princess offer a wine card - like a coffee card, but by the glass?

Thanks,

Nancy

No...only a wine program where you purchase a set number of bottles at a discount on 10+ day cruises.

4 hours ago, kennicott said:

Here is what I said in #11----

"They do prefer you hand carry your wine on board but we have found that is not a hard and fast rule and can prove to be a real pain since it takes up so much room in your hand carry’s. So we leave it in our luggage. Some times I bring extra and am prepared to pay the $15.00 per, but they have never given us any grief. Never charged us either."

They state in a number of different places that-------  "At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked."---That language appears to recognize that alcohol can be brought on board in checked luggage as long as it is an "allowed amount". 

But then they say:-------Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage.----This language indicates that the only alcohol allowed on board is one bottle of wine or champagne per person and must be in carry-on luggage.

But then they say:----"Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted."

So, there you have it, very unclear. Having spent so much time cruising with Princess, I have to go with my experiences based upon their on-board practices. As I mentioned, most of the time we don't carry on our wine but leave it in our checked luggage. They have even opened our checked luggage before and found our wine which was more than the free allowance. They left a nice note. "You are in full compliance with our liquor policy, thank you."

So, in summary, to be on the safe side, bring your wine on board in carry-on luggage.

Thank you kindly for your answer. No need to post twice. It is always smart to get information from several member's experiences.

Edited by dog

13 hours ago, barriedavis said:

Bringing wine on board in port calls is not allowed, only embarkation.  In my experience, (28 Princess cruises) you have a much better chance of bringing wine on board at port calls where the baggage x-rays on return are carried out by non-ship staff on the quayside rather than security staff at the top of the gangway. 

Respectfully, where were your cruises, primarily? Our Med cruise had no such rules when bringing wine on in port.  In fact, In Corfu there was a huge duty free shop after port security  and no one was checking onboard.  You could bring absolutely anything onboard 

10 hours ago, Roo said:

Almost on the same topic....Does Princess offer a wine card - like a coffee card, but by the glass?

Thanks,

Nancy

Yes it’s the beverage package. You get more than just wine if you wish. But it works like a wine card if that’s all you use it for. It’s $69 per day and you’re allowed 15 drinks (with alcohol) every 24 hours. Unlimited non alcoholic drinks are included too.