Old Ships in Europe etc

AusQueen

Is NCL ever going to assign newer ships around Europe?  They have the Sun, the Sky and the Spirit around the area. The Star and the Dawn are still okay but I just dont understand why they still are using those very old ships.  I know they need smaller ships for the ports around Europe but do they have any plans of bringing in newer ships?  It is the same thing in Australia - they only have the Jewel for it.  Princess has assigned its newest ship  -Majestic for the summer here.  Jewel looks pathetic when compared to it really.  I know a few people who want to go around Asia and Australia with NCL but are just turned off with the ship considering there are newer ones are in the market now.  The nice ships seems to be concentrated in Alaska  only.

4 minutes ago, AusQueen said:

Is NCL ever going to assign newer ships around Europe?  They have the Sun, the Sky and the Spirit around the area. The Star and the Dawn are still okay but I just dont understand why they still are using those very old ships.  I know they need smaller ships for the ports around Europe but do they have any plans of bringing in newer ships?  It is the same thing in Australia - they only have the Jewel for it.  Princess has assigned its newest ship  -Majestic for the summer here.  Jewel looks pathetic when compared to it really.  I know a few people who want to go around Asia and Australia with NCL but are just turned off with the ship considering there are newer ones are in the market now.  The nice ships seems to be concentrated in Alaska  only.

I think you may have answered your own question. "I know they need smaller ships for the ports around Europe".  All of the newer ships seem to be the mega ships so the older/smaller ones are best suited.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AusQueen said:

NCL has had some of their newest ships in Europe. 

The Epic has sailed yearly since she was first launched 7 years ago. 

The Getaway sailed Europe when she was 3 and now 5 years old, and following her mojor dry dock refirb this year

The Breakaway sailed Europe when she was 5 years old and after her major refirb last year. 

The Sky has been on the 3 and 4 day short cruises out of Miami and has not sailed Europe. And the Sun has joined the Sky on short sails out of Florida and not in Europe. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Ships that are currently scheduled to be in Europe in the next couple of years:

Dawn

Epic

Escape

Getaway

Jade

Pearl

Spirit

Star

The Breakaway was here last year.

Admittedly, the Breakaway/Getaway and Escape are mostly doing Northern Europe, and seem to be scheduled in to coincide with Dry Docks, but the Epic is in the Med all Summer and the Getaway has Med cruises scheduled.

I don't think you can say that we only get the old ships.

Edited by KeithJenner

As previous posters said; we have had some new ships the recent years. There was a time we did not (besides Epic) had anything new and all the Away class ships went to the US. With the Escape coming over we are pretty spoiled, if only NCL would consider changing the Epic for Escape in the Med..

Not sure why Epic never went to Northern Europe, must be some logical answer to it?