Epic Cavern Club bands

DarbyDean

Can some one who has been on Epic recently tell me what kind of bands they have playing in The Cavern Club. I saw Siglo on there a few years ago and loved it, but I know they have moved onto Bliss. Looking to see if they have been replaced with something similar

Thanks

the whole point of changing from jazz club to cavern club is to make it a more rock band venue and think Siglo are exactly the type of band they try to put on there

having spoken to band members on several ships musicians are auditioned and bands put together rather than hiring pre existing bands

On Jan 12 sailing, the band in the cavern club is albatross air. Hard Rock/Classic Rock band - Skynard, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Bros, journey, etc. I enjoyed them. it is hard Rock with lots of guitar and it is loud.

They also have Epic Beatles in there. They play one set per night on selected nights. Ridiculously overcrowded. In fact, I never did get to see them because I couldn't get in the lounge. A few nights I popped in about 45 minutes prior to stated starting time and there were no seats available. And rows of people standing. Not sure if that was unique to my sailing or if it like this every cruise. To my knowledge, no one at NCL reacted to solve the overcrowding issue, as this was an 11 day cruise. Cruise director is Mandi Jones. I had inquired of a few of the cruise staff and they just kind of half smiled. Same overcrowding experienced in headliners. Epic only allows reservations for burn the floor and Priscilla. Everything else is a total free for all. Get in line 45 minutes before showtime or risk not getting a seat. Terrible system in my opinion.

Edited by blcruising

We were on the Epic in April last year repositioning cruise and they had the Epic Beatles and some other band in the Cavern Club.  Cannot remember the name of the other band but they were incredible.  They could play anything from Frank Sinatra to Metallica.  

The singer/lead guitarist would often play 3-4 minute lead breaks during songs and walk out into the audience.  He was a very very good guitarist.  

I got talking to him one night in the Garden Cafe and he was telling me that the band are a bunch of guys from Columbia that up until 4 years ago just played Columbian style music then decided to learn a whole range of music/songs so they could work on cruise ships.  

If anyone knows the name of the band and if they are still on Epic or another ship I would be interested to know.

The Cavern Club is a great venue but way undersized.  I agree with the previous poster, you need to get there an hour before the band starts to have any chance of getting a seat.  The venue needs to be at least twice the size to handle the crowds it attracts.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, blcruising said:

They also have Epic Beatles in there. They play one set per night on selected nights. Ridiculously overcrowded. In fact, I never did get to see them because I couldn't get in the lounge. A few nights I popped in about 45 minutes prior to stated starting time and there were no seats available. And rows of people standing. Not sure if that was unique to my sailing or if it like this every cruise. 

I was on the Epic back in May and we had the same experience. I had thankfully found that out here on the boards before my trip, so we got there super early for the Beatles cover band and had seats, but it was packed. The band was worth it, and they played different albums each night of the cruise. Didn't know that ahead of time and only caught them once, otherwise we would of picked a different night (different album) to go catch them.

That is cool. I refuse to show up 60 minutes before a show that last 45. It was the same with comedy in headliners. It just didn't make sense to stand in a line outside of headliners 45 minutes before a show that lasts 45 minutes. It isn't my idea of freestyle cruising.

10 hours ago, ltish23 said:

MikeC1610

The Band is 4 Blue.  There are awesome.  They are on the Epic now, I believe for 5-6 months. The lead guitartist and my daughter are friends.  We are going on the Transatlantic in April to see them.

We saw 4 Blue on the Bliss in November.  They were very good.  We saw them play several times at different locations.  They are on the Epic now?  We are on the Epic in June and hope they will still be on for our cruise.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, MikeC1610 said:

The Cavern Club is a great venue but way undersized.  I agree with the previous poster, you need to get there an hour before the band starts to have any chance of getting a seat.  The venue needs to be at least twice the size to handle the crowds it attracts.

While it doesn’t recreate the original Liverpool Cavern, it couldn’t be anything but small to recreate the spirit. Probably better still if they shifted out the furniture!

On 1/25/2019 at 7:46 PM, ltish23 said:

MikeC1610

The Band is 4 Blue.  There are awesome.  They are on the Epic now, I believe for 5-6 months. The lead guitartist and my daughter are friends.  We are going on the Transatlantic in April to see them.

Thanks Darby Dean for starting this thread!  Our previous cruises on Epic in 2010 and 2013 featured Slam Allen at Fat Cats and we just about lived there.  Now we'd be interested in trying the Cavern Club and appreciate the heads up, Mike,  on 4 Blue band!  We listened to some videos last evening and they seem to have a very tight sound.  Weird was the theater show seemed to have a sax lead but in Cavern Club saw no sign of brass so maybe another entertainer was invited to join for a number?

Anyway given blcruiser's post that the current band is Albatross Air, is it fair to assume they will be signing off and your daughter's friends then joining Epic?  Do you have any info as to the changeover?

Have read that when ships change to a European itinerary, the Caribbean reggae bands are left behind and another type of group takes their place.  But I can't see them having 2 rock bands at the same time!

For those concerned about the crowding for the Cavern Club shows, especially Beatles, I was on Breakaway for 2 weeks.  They repeated the shows there as well as in Spiegel Tent and then a big show in the Theater.  Same for the Queen tribute band.  First night wall to wall guests but by the 2nd week of the cruise quite easy to get a seat without the long lines.  The transatlantic Epic is 15 nights so plenty of time to catch all the entertainment over the course of the cruise.

Edited by snorklin'barb

• 4 months later...
On 1/24/2019 at 1:33 AM, blcruising said:

They also have Epic Beatles in there. They play one set per night on selected nights. Ridiculously overcrowded. In fact, I never did get to see them because I couldn't get in the lounge. A few nights I popped in about 45 minutes prior to stated starting time and there were no seats available. And rows of people standing. Not sure if that was unique to my sailing or if it like this every cruise. To my knowledge, no one at NCL reacted to solve the overcrowding issue,

When I was on the Epic in February, the Beatles band did a full show in the theater one night. Crowding was also a problem in Headliners and the comedy team did two shows in the theater one evening as well.

Edited by kochleffel

• 4 months later...