X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

Bimmer09

Norris, those sunrise and sunset pictures are beautiful, as are your pictures of the ship, and your travels through Cuba. I'm finding that Cuba is not at all what I had imagined it might be. While we have no immediate plans to visit Cuba, I will definitely consider it as a future destination to visit. 

8 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Nice story Gordon! 

Thank you.

Norris, glad to have you reading.

Been following quietly since the start Norris

Very interested in the Azamara part and your views of it compared to Suite Class on Celebrity. So much so that I have identified a cruise that works for us time wise on the Azamara Pursuit for next year which I intend booking when on board the Silhouette after next Friday, unless you come up with any reason not to.

What did you decide to do about the beverage packages?

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Wondering why you had to show your passports to enter the Botanic gardens as you had already gone through Customs and Security when you disembarked. Did this include showing your Cuban Visa?

Still loving all your pictures, but especially the Botanic gardens.

It may have been necessary to show the passports to get a senior rate of admission? I don't recall exactly why. Maybe Carol does? I kept my visa as a bookmark in my passport.

I'm glad you liked the photos. It was a nice break to be out in nature and walking on grass.

Cheers!

Norris

2 hours ago, perfect match said:

Norris, those sunrise and sunset pictures are beautiful, as are your pictures of the ship, and your travels through Cuba. I'm finding that Cuba is not at all what I had imagined it might be. While we have no immediate plans to visit Cuba, I will definitely consider it as a future destination to visit. 

Nancy, I am glad you like those pictures.

The ship interiors are indeed very appealing and I'll put more up when we return to the Journey after our current excursion. I photographed every room with two exceptions-the gym and the Spa. The latter was usually locked when I was up and about early.

To date Cuba was our most interesting and different Caribbean island visit and the one we would be most keen to visit again after a couple of years.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Norris

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Been following quietly since the start Norris

Very interested in the Azamara part and your views of it compared to Suite Class on Celebrity. So much so that I have identified a cruise that works for us time wise on the Azamara Pursuit for next year which I intend booking when on board the Silhouette after next Friday, unless you come up with any reason not to.

What did you decide to do about the beverage packages?

Hi Gordon, I should clarify that we were not in a suite on Azamara but rather an aft cabin which X would call a Sunset Verandah. No Michael's Club, private suites restaurant, butler etc.

The cabin 7116 is one of only 2 on the stern on deck 7 and was pricy but we love being on the stern. It is now designated as a Verandah Plus on the website and a perk or two has been added but was the most expensive cabin on that deck when I booked in March of last year.

I did cancel and rebook it to take advantage of a BOGO promotion and saved $2500 but in the process lost $300 OBC and free internet but it was worth it by $2,000 saved. Gratuities and basic drinks were included.

I am a big ship guy (Silhouette is my favorite ship) but adapted to the small Journey and didn't experience all of it in 9 days.

I bought the Ultimate Beverage Package on day 2 ($166) and it was well worth it for 8 days.

I just wanted not to be told " your package doesn't cover that" so I went all in and my favorite drinks weren't included in the basic package. I enjoyed a very good Malbec at dinner and the pours were generous. Sambuca anytime I wanted.

I can't think of any reason not to sail Azamara. Only the ship size may be a problem for some.

No lines was nice. Quiet decks too. A considerate clientele was a bonus. The service from the crew impeccable. They can't do elaborate high tech shows due to the height and size of the stages but the showroom was packed every night I popped in for a look-see. The ship was like a boutique hotel. No flash, no bells and whistles but refined comfort and relaxation.

We loved the overnight stays in port.

I'll show more ship soon.

Norris

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Hi Gordon, I should clarify that we were not in a suite on Azamara but rather an aft cabin which X would call a Sunset Verandah. No Michael's Club, private suites restaurant, butler etc.

The cabin 7116 is one of only 2 on the stern on deck 7 and was pricy but we love being on the stern. It is now designated as a Verandah Plus on the website and a perk or two has been added but was the most expensive cabin on that deck when I booked in March of last year.

I did cancel and rebook it to take advantage of a BOGO promotion and saved $2500 but in the process lost $300 OBC and free internet but it was worth it by $2,000 saved. Gratuities and basic drinks were included.

I am a big ship guy (Silhouette is my favorite ship) but adapted to the small Journey and didn't experience all of it in 9 days.

I bought the Ultimate Beverage Package on day 2 ($166) and it was well worth it for 8 days.

I just wanted not to be told " your package doesn't cover that" so I went all in and my favorite drinks weren't included in the basic package. I enjoyed a very good Malbec at dinner and the pours were generous. Sambuca anytime I wanted.

I can't think of any reason not to sail Azamara. Only the ship size may be a problem for some.

No lines was nice. Quiet decks too. A considerate clientele was a bonus. The service from the crew impeccable. They can't do elaborate high tech shows due to the height and size of the stages but the showroom was packed every night I popped in for a look-see. The ship was like a boutique hotel. No flash, no bells and whistles but refined comfort and relaxation.

We loved the overnight stays in port.

I'll show more ship soon.

Norris

Thanks for your reply Norris

I didn't think that you were in suite on Azamara but know that you have done them on Celebrity in the past. I like the S class ships of Celebrity - we have done 18 cruises in a row on them (20 after the middle of March) but I also like being well looked after and good food so I think we will adapt to the small ship. I will just have to do more laps on the sea days.

We have started looking about at what else is on offer as the Celebrity pricing in the Med is getting silly particularly for a suite. I priced a 10 day Canary trip from Southampton and it was around £12k for a Sky Suite - £1,200 a day. That is twice what I pay per day in the Caribbean for a CS.

We have MSC booked in the Yacht Club for later this year at a third of the cost if the Sky suite and I am looking at Azamara for Autumn 2010. At least on Azamara I still get the points on my Celebrity account.   

20 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Off the ship, via deck 3 I recall as the dock was low. Walked across the parking lot where the buses had been and through Customs and security to the streets beyond. Short walk and we see a small group clustered on a sidewalk holding up paper signs with names on. One of those is mine-I'd recognize it anywhere.

Our guide is Diana, again a speaker of good English and another fine product of the Cuban school system. She walks us around a corner to where Eddie, our driver is waiting with our car.

It's a Chrysler Windsor 

33220001238_ef1d0f8e7c_b.jpg

Chrysler Windsor ahhhhhhhh built not far from my home town. The final Chrysler Windsor sold in the United States was built in 1961 however production in Canada was until 1966. My first car I ever drove was built off the basis of the Windsor frame. She was a 1973 Newport Custom she was a ship (not a boat to small for a boat) she had a 440 HP engine and 4 barrel carbs. She was a beauty and a sleeper. If my dad only knew how much I drag raced that car. I either would have been grounded or given an atta boy son.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Thanks for your reply Norris

I didn't think that you were in suite on Azamara but know that you have done them on Celebrity in the past. I like the S class ships of Celebrity - we have done 18 cruises in a row on them (20 after the middle of March) but I also like being well looked after and good food so I think we will adapt to the small ship. I will just have to do more laps on the sea days.

We have started looking about at what else is on offer as the Celebrity pricing in the Med is getting silly particularly for a suite. I priced a 10 day Canary trip from Southampton and it was around £12k for a Sky Suite - £1,200 a day. That is twice what I pay per day in the Caribbean for a CS.

We have MSC booked in the Yacht Club for later this year at a third of the cost if the Sky suite and I am looking at Azamara for Autumn 2010. At least on Azamara I still get the points on my Celebrity account.   

Gordon I highlighted in red some parts of your response that caught my eye.

I have only been on one Azamara cruise as you know but based on our experiences (speaking for Carol too) we were "well looked after" and the food was the best cruise food to date in any of the venues (patio, MDR and buffet) Carol also speaks highly of her experiences in Mosaic Cafe which I didn't try. The caveat is that we paid more for a basic verandah cabin than a 500 sq ft suite on Princess but we got 9 days at sea vs Princess for 7 days. However drinks and gratuities were included. We are Elite on Princess but they (and X) don't go to Cuba and aren't as immersive (overnights, Azamazing Evening) as Azamara, the very thing that drew me to Az.

Carol had to trust me as she has no time to do the research I do on the computer. I had a hunch (the chiropractor is helping me lose it) that Az would be a good fit for us.

We had sailed on Princess' version of the Journey  (Venice to Rome 2014) in their owners suite on deck 6 (6088) so the size of the Journey wasn't a shock as it may be coming from the S Class. If you don't mind relaxing in a refined (not snooty) atmosphere with loose yet professional staff then you may enjoy Azamara. In my opinion now based on experience they deliver a very good product. At no point in our cruise did we feel we made an expensive mistake.

With regard to X current pricing-if people fill the ship they will be encouraged to keep the pricing up. Our Norway cruise for 7 days in an aft S1 suite costs the same as our Ocean Princess cruise in a gigantic suite with a massive balcony and will tie that as our most expensive cruise ever. But-it's the Silhouette which we both love and the X suite treatment is the best we have had so far (see my Princess vs Celebrity photo comparison) and it's the Norwegian Fjords which may be a one time bucket list thing. It also gets us to visit London which Carol hasn't set foot in since 1972 and I haven't been there since 1994 and I lived there from 70-72 and again from 74 to 86.

I will be interested in any review of your MSC Yacht Club experience. Which ship? The YC always sounds great but then it's only a tiny part of a huge vessel. I have no hankering so far to try any Italian Cruise line as horrific reviews abound and I've seen the Costa series on TV and ran screaming into the night. I feel safer with American cruise lines where competition breeds excellence and where restless innovation drives the new-builds, even though I am happy enough with no bells or whistles. I basically need a ship guided by a Master who leads a strong team, with a comfy bed, functional bathroom, aft cabins, an Executive chef who isn't tired or bored, some drinks with rum in them and a place to smoke. Anything else is gravy. I don't need bros chugging down brewskis, doing cannonballs into the swimming pool, hairy chest contests or entertainment that features men putting balloons down their shirts pretending to be broad caricatures of women. I'm over 10 years old by now.

I want to sail to interesting places and when I am done savoring them return to a ship that feels like home, where I am shown respect but not fawned upon. Azamara fit me well but I may not be the average cruiser. I have worked on a ship and know how hard it is to be "on" all the time.

Every waiter and bartender, cook and dishwasher, musician and deck hand has my respect.

But I digress.

I hope you'll return to tell me you have made an Azamara booking when on the Silhouette. What itinerary has caught your eye?

Thanks for your response!

Norris

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hockeyguru32 said:

Chrysler Windsor ahhhhhhhh built not far from my home town. The final Chrysler Windsor sold in the United States was built in 1961 however production in Canada was until 1966. My first car I ever drove was built off the basis of the Windsor frame. She was a 1973 Newport Custom she was a ship (not a boat to small for a boat) she had a 440 HP engine and 4 barrel carbs. She was a beauty and a sleeper. If my dad only knew how much I drag raced that car. I either would have been grounded or given an atta boy son.

Great story, my man!

I think "atta boy, son"

These were some powerful big roomy cars and I enjoyed riding in them even though they lacked all the safety features we take for granted with modern cars.

In all the miles we were driven in Cuba I didn't see any idiots behind the wheel.

Chicago? well that's a different matter all together.

Thanks for the response!

Norris 

We drove back to Cienfuegos

32156496097_90ff887217_b.jpg

and Eddie dropped us off on the Prado, the main walking street where the local boy who made good-the singer Benny More- has a statue in his honor

32166094647_feb38e1a0f_b.jpg

The sidewalks on the Prado are raised above the street with a wide gutter at street level which immediately makes me think, heavy rain or flood drainage as Cienfuegos is pretty flat.

Cute mural

46194279295_318e15291d_b.jpg

It's a Saturday morning maybe 11 a.m and I am surprised at the number of people in the street and they are in shopping mode. A change from Havana. 

46384320234_5891e54198_b.jpg

46194282075_5a8f8a8580_b.jpg

Pedestrian streets with palm trees and lot of pedestrians and things to buy-trinkets

40143347843_32f31e3c13_b.jpg

trim and painted buildings

47055787082_585f7b0e09_b.jpg

a street market

47108001281_4b2f0b7e56_b.jpg

More...

50272777_10218310102092425_8121784492470829056_n.jpg

• Like 1

Norris, first time I am reading one of your fabulous trip reports, and am really enjoying it! Love all of your beautiful pictures. I found the link to this report on the Azamara board, as we have recently booked a cruise for this summer on the Journey. I really appreciate the time you take to do this, and look forward to reading about the rest of your trip!

Love your review!

We're sailing Azamara Journey from Miami to Cuba etc up to New York next month.  We've only done 1 Azamara cruise before and it was a 5 night Monaco Grand Prix cruise so wasn't really reflective of typical Azamara we were told.

Looking forward to 16 nights onboard next month and we've booked a CW owners suite (as we tend to sail suites on Celebrity).  We had originally booked for a couple of weeks on Edge but decided to do this one instead as it was cheaper for this cruise in a good suite with flights from UK and hotels either side in Miami & NY, than 1 week on Edge!

Hope they do a brunch onboard like you had.  Looks lovely.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

Norris, first time I am reading one of your fabulous trip reports, and am really enjoying it! Love all of your beautiful pictures. I found the link to this report on the Azamara board, as we have recently booked a cruise for this summer on the Journey. I really appreciate the time you take to do this, and look forward to reading about the rest of your trip!

Thank you for joining us Mrs. Dukes and for the kind compliments!

Norris

1 hour ago, missminnie said:

Love your review!

We're sailing Azamara Journey from Miami to Cuba etc up to New York next month.  We've only done 1 Azamara cruise before and it was a 5 night Monaco Grand Prix cruise so wasn't really reflective of typical Azamara we were told.

Looking forward to 16 nights onboard next month and we've booked a CW owners suite (as we tend to sail suites on Celebrity).  We had originally booked for a couple of weeks on Edge but decided to do this one instead as it was cheaper for this cruise in a good suite with flights from UK and hotels either side in Miami & NY, than 1 week on Edge!

Hope they do a brunch onboard like you had.  Looks lovely.

16 nights? Wow, what a great time you will have!

There will be another brunch for us, so we had 2 in 9 days. You'll likely have some more sea days than us.

Let me wish you an early Bon Voyage and thank you for reading this!

Norris

We are walking towards the main square

47055790252_b3fdafe2c8_b.jpg

that building is a beauty parlor/hair salon

47055791882_9cc85cf0ff_b.jpg

2019 is the city's 200th anniversary

47055793802_bffbc60488_b.jpg

we enter the square

33232851688_9158465a8f_b.jpg

46384345974_25e6970667_b.jpg

47108013411_faae64eec9_b.jpg

46384350744_062c72d377_b.jpg

47108016931_089333053a_b.jpg

It's not a shopping square. It's a beautiful quiet place to enjoy one of their benches and some shade surrounded by civic buildings. While Carol rests my plan is to climb a tower to get some good shots of the city.

That is me at the top, taking pictures 

50629948_10218310102812443_1449997726681923584_n.thumb.jpg.cc52b81bada967259d391c5a709069b7.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, singinalot said:

Just inserting myself here...thought you’d enjoy this sunset from Saturday night in Destin, Florida... completely irrelevant to this topic 😇

D86FD9D2-206F-48B6-ABA4-780ADA1008F1.jpeg

Crystal, that's a great sunset! Nice shot!

I'm not even sure where Destin is.

I'm off to work now and won't be back for about 13 hours and will continue with Cienfuegos then.

I have a nice scenic lunch spot to show later.

Norris

I am in Marti Square in Cienfuegos and headed for Casa de la Cultura to climb up into their turret for a panoramic view of this nice little city. Like many buildings in Cuba it is undergoing renovations. Diana led the way and spoke to the custodian on the ground floor. We could come in. I had to give a 3 CUC donation to the restoration but I had the place to myself (and Diana).

On the way up to the second floor Diana told me there was a lady who could tell me about the history of the building. "Sure" said I who was there just to use the elevation but did not want to be rude. I met the lady in this lovely room...

40143367913_b2a3678ab8_b.jpg

on the table we sat at were some cool ornaments

32166160747_b14d9fe173_b.jpg

The lady spoke impeccable English. They really must pay attention in school.

I can't tell you the history of the building as it is gone from my mind already in the mass of images and memories from the cruise.Carol wasn't there to take notes!

Now it was time to climb more stairs to the rooftop, where there was a woman sitting on a chair. Presumably her job was to watch the turret and assist anyone climbing its narrow spiral staircase and to report their "death by plummeting". Up I went. It was so tight and winding that I had to hold my camera bag infront of me and use one hand to hold onto the railing.  It was a tight space at the top to work two cameras.

The Cathedral at right

33232862198_d3e92f5780_b.jpg

to my right

47055809002_731556bae2_b.jpg

panning around 

40143370403_15023cd0c9_b.jpg

behind me

46384357144_61cbdd48e0_b.jpg

I see a lot of blue rainwater tanks on rooftops

33232867288_3ff79efdd3_b.jpg

47108024601_e68997cf45_b.jpg

More....

• Like 1

The one building I wanted to see in Cienfuegos was the Tomas Terry Theater

33232870928_8eb5be2c32_b.jpg

However I knew before sailing that they were renovating the interior and it was a mass of scaffolding. Check it out on google images and you'll see what it looked like before the scaffolding came in. I decided I didn't want to see it less than its perfect self and I already knew

that we would be returning to Cuba on a future cruise. Carol felt the same way. I think of San Juan, Puerto Rico as the only other Caribbean City that I could return to with great enthusiasm.

The Diamonds International and Margaritaville cities don't exert the same pull.

I guess they are spiffing up the buildings for their 200th anniversary celebrations. I can wait and return. 2021?

46194314335_be8ab59816_b.jpg

I can see our black Ford in that last shot and know that I must shoot just a few more pics

46194316315_397515c380_b.jpg

46194332315_208eeb0b73_b.jpg

46384375194_5d689a6a49_b.jpg

47108048291_b271130851_b.jpg

Carol is patiently waiting on her shaded bench in the park

46194335015_46b24c9716_b.jpg

Next up, the most exciting event of my day so far-lunch!!

• Like 1

All of our port classic car tours included time to have lunch at a Cuban restaurant of the tour company's choosing but I looked on TripAdvisor for my own choice and that meant somewhere scenic. Neither Diana or Eddie had been there before. I would not be swayed from my choice.

It was in Punta Gorda, the beachy end of Cienfuegos.

46395124714_846802f112_b.jpg

They have no customers at this time (1 p.m ish) but the tables are set on the interior part of the room. We want to sit as close to the outdoors as possible so Carol waits while they dress a table there.

47118738591_be2e21c6b3_b.jpg

cute

47066467592_dd42959dfe_b.jpg

there's a cool deck out on the water

47118744381_2fa0c07237_b.jpg

46204886595_c318a8058e_b.jpg

view from my seat

32176735577_6b67496a49_b.jpg

46395135524_62e7d1ffb8_b.jpg

More....

• Like 2

Just as in a typical American waterside restaurant there was some nautical dressing on the walls which always makes me smile.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere..

40153979363_4fb781feee_b.jpg

47066475482_45b71f75b8_b.jpg

40153983693_c0ccbae00a_b.jpg

The bar had rum so all was well for a cuba libre. It was just as refreshing as the gentle warm breeze coming off the water. Carol had a canned lemon and lime drink.

Our waiter brought us a menu which would come in handy when ordering food

47066474852_384814a4de_b.jpg

A party of 4 French people came in and sat down to order. Trois hommes et une femme.

I enjoyed listening to the music of their speech but it was too quickly spoken for me to catch all that they were saying.

Lobster for 22 CUC was on the menu and I was going to order that until Carol reminded me of the mess and effort involved in eating it. Good point. White Night Party was happening tonight

on deck before leaving port and I could have lobster then if I must. So I went with what I had eaten in Havana. Shrimp in Cuban sauce. Rice. Carol, knowing how much I love potatoes and put down rice- "it's no potato"-asked our genial waiter if there were any potatoes to be had.

"No, we only get those a couple of months a year". My brain swirled at that concept. I needed a stiff drink. The waiter brought one.

All of this was eaten and enjoyed

47118758721_35de5fc844_b.jpg

Carol had fish filets (not filet o' fish) with herbs (vague) which didn't elucidate on the species. She thought "maybe trout"

47066481502_7c06d328b4_b.jpg

Plates were cleaned and tummies patted in satisfaction. Carol reported "good bathrooms".

The French folks scoffed down their food and drinks and were gone before we were.

I was enjoying the waterside vibe but we too would soon have to go to stay on schedule.

I loved the room and the decor

47118761571_506d855738_b.jpg

and the view over the sea

47118763341_78f1965e2c_b.jpg

I see I also had a mojito. All my drinks were 4 CUC each. Carol's 1 CUC.

46395143584_79e617b232_b.jpg

We walked back out to the street to meet Eddie and Diana

40153982513_eb18c864c2_b.jpg

Diana told me I should go take a look at the beach.....

• Like 1

46204908845_6a1a97082a_b.jpg

Viking Star tendering ashore

40154020963_5c3b052bf6_b.jpg

Cuban teenagers enjoying the water

47118774051_f5b666c784_b.jpg

they see me with the cameras

40153998293_10e94a7b84_b.jpg

46395151754_503522e7b6_b.jpg

simple fun in the sun

47118796871_5fdf23e1f7_b.jpg

across the bay lay the Journey

47066502152_3edbb306ce_b.jpg

time to leave the beach 

33243369878_c2e2e3e16a_b.jpg

Next stop-Valle Palace

Norris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

There are worse ways to spend a cold and snowy day in Schaumburg than reading your wonderful review. 

Thank you.

It's light snow downtown where I sit and these pictures of sunny beaches and people frolicking in the water without overcoats and ear muffs are making me sigh. But that's the reason we flee Chicago each January. Alas just for a week or so.

Norris