Grandma - granddaughter cruise

Depends of the kid. As single Father raised 3 kids on my own, we'd Cruise without another Adult did fine. My kids were 2-14yrs old when Itook them. 2 of them liked kids program, other liked the Main shows and Karaoke. Ate at Wind Jammer for Breakfast/Lunch and Dressed up for Dinner in Main Dining. We did shore excursions and just played at the beach. Just go with it and have fun!

Edited by ONECRUISER

15 minutes ago, Carol21950 said:

In August, I’ll be taking my 12-year old granddaughter on a 4-night cruise to Nassau from Miami on Mariner of the Seas.  Is there anything I should know?  I’ve only been on 2 cruises before, and never with a child.

If the parents are not joining you, you should have a notarized letter from the parents that gives you:

Permission to take the child out of the county

Permission to make medical decisions on behalf of the child

Permission to sign waivers for the child

• Like 1

Depends what you have in mind - is this going to be strictly a “everything together “ type of trip, or are you planning to let her go to Adventure Ocean, the kids’ program.  

Be be aware that shorter cruises are often more “party or booze” cruises - might be better to pick a standard 7-day cruise.

If if she is going to Adventure Ocean make sure you send her the first night - that’s when kids make friends.  Be aware that she will have the ability to sign herself in and out at that age.

My grandkids enjoy the shows, especially the ice show.

Make sure you have all the legal, medical and insurance information to take her out of the country.  

2 hours ago, Carol21950 said:

In August, I’ll be taking my 12-year old granddaughter on a 4-night cruise to Nassau from Miami on Mariner of the Seas.  Is there anything I should know?  I’ve only been on 2 cruises before, and never with a child.

There is a great website that has up to date information on Royal Caribbean cruises. The website is:   *****.com. There is a search bar at the top and you can just enter the word "Kids" and there is lots of information that you can access.

I am taking my 9 year old granddaughter on Adventure out of NY the end of June. We are doing Bermuda, Nassau and Coco Cay. She been on cruises with me before but her parents and sister were with her too. This time it's just us. She is shy and doesn't want to do the kids program (she has alwsys prefered to stay with the family) so this Grandma is going to be one tired old lady. I did rent a Thrill Park cabana for our stop at Coco Cay and will likely do some of the sppropriate early shows with her. It's unlikely that i will be going down the slides. I am hoping she makes a friend or two so she can experience more of what the ship has to offer. If worse comes to worse, at least we will be going to sleep early....lol

I took my 9 year old granddaughter on her first cruise last year! Please make certain you have a letter from parents giving you permission to take child. She and I had a wonderful time. She did not want to attend Adventure Club. She loved to do mountain climbing and Flow Rider. We were on Freedom! We went on an excursions at every port! Believe me each night we were in bed early! Now her younger sister wants me to take her on a cruise!

4 hours ago, Carol21950 said:

Mariner in August will be a fully loaded party/booze cruise.

I’m not sure about her level of shyness.  She seems pretty outgoing to me.  

Thanks for for the reminders about letters of permission!

And thanks for the warning about it possibly being a booze cruise.  I don’t drink, and we’ll make sure we stay far away from any rowdies.