Charleston Port Times

bradbarbour1985

19 hours ago, bradbarbour1985 said:

I have a check-in time of 12:30 but have FTTF.  The site is saying port doesn't allow people until 11:30.  Is this true?  Seems late and thinking FTTF may not be worth it.

It is true.  And they will not even let you in the building until 11:30am.  Charleston is usually the only port that is a stickler for arrival times.  It's the one port I never bother going to early.

• Like 1

Parking is another special situation at Charleston!  :classic_tongue:  I would say, between 10:30-11am is plenty.  They won't even open the parking lots before then.  Go to the Port of Charleston website to find out what time they will open the lots.  There is also an option to prepay, which makes going through the line MUCH easier!

On 1/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, EllaDuChien said:

Parking is another special situation at Charleston!  :classic_tongue:  I would say, between 10:30-11am is plenty.  They won't even open the parking lots before then.  Go to the Port of Charleston website to find out what time they will open the lots.  There is also an option to prepay, which makes going through the line MUCH easier!

So curious how far in advance would you recommend pre-paying for the parking?  I assume its online with cc.  Just wondered does it fill-up?

10 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

So curious how far in advance would you recommend pre-paying for the parking?  I assume its online with cc.  Just wondered does it fill-up?

Cheermom,

I never fills up.  Since Charleston only has one cruise ship, there is plenty of parking.  You can pre-pay the day before or whenever you want.  As long as you have your paperwork that says you've paid. 

1 hour ago, EllaDuChien said:

Cheermom,

I never fills up.  Since Charleston only has one cruise ship, there is plenty of parking.  You can pre-pay the day before or whenever you want.  As long as you have your paperwork that says you've paid. 

Thanks so much for the information.  Our first cruise out of Charleston this year, so a new experience.  Looking forward to a closer driving experience since we live just 4 hours away.

• Like 1

We have 2 ships sailing out of Charleston...The Ecstasy and the Sunshine. (I live in Charleston)

I have not yet been to the port, but was told by a friend of mine who has that it took them FOREVER to get parked when they went. But that was several years ago and I do not know the particular details of the situation.

I did notice when I did my online check in last week that the earliest time you could get was 11:30-12 and I wondered what the deal was with that because it was my understanding that you could check in at 11. Apparently I am getting incorrect information all over the place.

The port of Charleston in challenging. You drive through this serpentine and drop off your luggage, then park. It sometimes takes a ridiculously long time. I can see the port from where I am and I will go out of my way to not leave from Charleston. I would get there at 10:00 - 10:30 or so. People line up early. If you get there early you can always have lunch at Fleet Landing and wait for boarding. Many cruisers do that. You can always wander around downtown to kill time too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dacsmom said:

The port of Charleston in challenging. You drive through this serpentine and drop off your luggage, then park. It sometimes takes a ridiculously long time. I can see the port from where I am and I will go out of my way to not leave from Charleston. I would get there at 10:00 - 10:30 or so. People line up early. If you get there early you can always have lunch at Fleet Landing and wait for boarding. Many cruisers do that. You can always wander around downtown to kill time too.

Same here!

Too much trouble to embark from Charleston ... takes what seems forever.   :classic_sad:

1 hour ago, emoorehead said:

We have 2 ships sailing out of Charleston...The Ecstasy and the Sunshine. (I live in Charleston)

I have not yet been to the port, but was told by a friend of mine who has that it took them FOREVER to get parked when they went. But that was several years ago and I do not know the particular details of the situation.

I did notice when I did my online check in last week that the earliest time you could get was 11:30-12 and I wondered what the deal was with that because it was my understanding that you could check in at 11. Apparently I am getting incorrect information all over the place.

We have one ship out of Charleston I believe. The Ecstacy currently. She will be replaced by the Sunshine later this year. 

On 2/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, emoorehead said:

We were just on the Ecstacy last week. Also had 11:30 -12 arrival time. We arrived at the port at 11:15 and were directed to the luggage drop off and got in pay to park line at the tents. Was shocked the whole process only took a few minutes. After we paid drove to the parking lot and got on the shuttle.I was surprised at how short a time it took.Went in the terminal and through security and directly to the counter to check in and on the ship. Must have been our lucky day!

2 hours ago, Beachboy3 said:

We were just on the Ecstacy last week. Also had 11:30 -12 arrival time. We arrived at the port at 11:15 and were directed to the luggage drop off and got in pay to park line at the tents. Was shocked the whole process only took a few minutes. After we paid drove to the parking lot and got on the shuttle.I was surprised at how short a time it took.Went in the terminal and through security and directly to the counter to check in and on the ship. Must have been our lucky day!

That is good to hear. I will be sailing on the Ecstasy in April and have been wondering about parking/luggage drop off/check in, etc. Thanks for sharing.