Little disappointed in Viking

peanders

We will be taking our third cruise with Viking. Last year prior to the cruise we received an offer from Viking to select a gift as a thank you. Hadn’t heard anything about a similar offer this year so I wrote to them. Below is part of the response 

Regrettably, the returning guest Gift Program has been discontinued for sailings that embark this year, as we are currently exploring new and exciting ways to enhance the Viking experience for all of our guests

i think it’s too bad, the gift idea was a nice touch

• Like 1

Last season's low-water problems mean that all the river cruise lines are 'hurting for money,' compared to their pre-season forecasts.  It may not be a coincidence that Viking recently eliminated their 6 month full payment option [already bad] and are now demanding full payment 12-18 months prior to sailing. 

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Last season's low-water problems mean that all the river cruise lines are 'hurting for money,' compared to their pre-season forecasts.  It may not be a coincidence that Viking recently eliminated their 6 month full payment option [already bad] and are now demanding full payment 12-18 months prior to sailing. 

Viking Ocean has something like 12 ships on order. I don't think they are hurting. I think demanding full payment at time of booking is to pay off the ships as soon as possible. Plus, Viking is probably in a better position than lines who had to cancel sailings on Viking River as Viking River didn't have to. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I hate to disagree with our Host (except for the previous times I did), but I just booked a Viking river cruise and my final payment is 6 months from sailing.

This is good news.  Maybe they good too much pushback from the recent change.  Posts from about November on have been pretty consistent about the very long full payment deadlines.

11 hours ago, MikeyB said:

It is good news.  It's crazy to expect final payment more than 90 or 120 days.

I just looked at my booking.  Final payment is the end of February and I sail the end of June so it's only 4 months.

I'm quite curious, was this a last minute cruise for this year, or for 2020 or later? This would be a change from the stated requirement of 12 month final balance payment that has been in effect for US customers since the fall.  

We booked mid January and our final payment is the end of February for a mid June cruise.  I thought this was reasonable.  However we would not have booked if they had held our money for a full year.  That’s just crazy. I would take my chances and book 6 months out if this holds true.