NS naming by Oprah streamed live 2/2

freestyling

For those interested here is the link for HALs facebook link where the event will be streamed live on Sat. 2/2 at 2 EST

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-nieuw-statendam/nieuw-statendam-dedication.html?ICID=VURL_Dedication

A link on a PR article is listed below:

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/nieuw-statendam-naming-by-oprah-winfrey-to-be-streamed-live.html

Edited by freestyling

Not interested in watching Oprah.

We sailed on her two weeks ago and had a fantastic time!  Awesome, beautiful ship with over the top service and food.....Can't wait to book another Holland America ship......

....but Oprah? Really? What were they thinking?  

Bring back Dutch Royalty to christen these beautiful HOLLAND AMERICA ships.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Not interested in watching Oprah.

We sailed on her two weeks ago and had a fantastic time!  Awesome, beautiful ship with over the top service and food.....Can't wait to book another Holland America ship......

....but Oprah? Really? What were they thinking?  

Bring back Dutch Royalty to christen these beautiful HOLLAND AMERICA ships.....

I agree on all points...….well said

This was really well done. I encourage everyone to watch, the crew and guest testimonials were excellent. If you can’t stand Oprah (which I’ll never understand but ymmv) she speaks last so you can stop then. 

• Like 1

HAL godmothers:

ms Maasdam - June Allyson, actress
ms Veendam - Debbie Reynolds, actress
ms Rotterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
ms Volendam - Chris Everett, tennis star
ms Zaandam - Ashley & Mary Kate Olsen, actresses
ms Amsterdam - Janet Lanterman, wife of former HAL CEO
ms Prinsendam - All employees of HAL represented by Rose Abello, vice president - public relations, Eva Andresen, vice president - information technologies, and Linda Ehlenberger, vice president - sales
ms Zuiderdam - Joan Lunden, broadcaster/TV anchor
ms Oosterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
ms Westerdam - Renee Soutendijk, Dutch actress
ms Noordam - Marlee Matlin, actress
ms Eurodam – Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

ms Nieuw Amsterdam – Queen Maxima of the Netherlands

ms Koningsdam – Queen Maxima of the Netherlands

ms Nieuw Statendam – Oprah Winfrey, media mogul, producer, actress and philanthropist

Former ships:

ss Rotterdam I – the spouse of her first master, Captain Hus

ss Maasdam I – the spouse of her first master, Captain Heddes

ss Statendam III – Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands

ms Nieuw Amsterdam II - Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

ms Statendam IV - Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands

ms Rotterdam V – Queen Juliana of the Netherlands

ss Prinses Margriet -  Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands

ms Prinsendam II – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Westerdam II – Clara van der Vorm, wife of former HAL Chairman Nico van der Vorm

ms Nieuw Amsterdam III – Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

ms Noordam III – Beatrice van der Vorm-van den Wall Bake, daughter of former HAL Chairman Nico van der Vorm

ms Statendam - Lin Arison, wife of Ted Arison, founder of Carnival

ms Ryndam - Madeleine Arison, wife of Micky Arison, CEO of Carnival

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Copper10-8: Many thanks for the full list of HAL godmothers, which clearly shows that the majority of the current godmothers are not from the Dutch royal family.  The choice of Oprah is very consistent with the practice of the past few decades.

• Like 2

So exactly half of HAL’s fleet (current and historical combined) have used Dutch royalty as godmothers - captain’s wives have almost as many! Yet we hear complaint after complaint about how naming Oprah destroys a lifetime tradition. 

The previous three new ships used the queen.

lol 

• Like 2

Hi there, We watched the dedication and, silly at it sounds, we laughed and cried and cheered and loved every second of it. Honestly, it says something about a company when the entire culture of an organization is so consistent from the top to the bottom in their dedication, love and commitment. The stories and statements were lovely and heartfelt. We just booked another cruise yesterday,  just two months after our last adventure and really do feel at home on board Holland America. i am one of those dorks that applaud the crew waiting to greet us on embarkation day. You know you love something when you love being at home but also feel at home on Holland America. This will be our tenth anniversary with Holland America. I eat sleep and drink it all in with gusto.  We have been lucky enough to have never missed a sailing a port or a tender. Come what may, HAL is family now, and i will embrace it as long as i am able. Thank you Holland America. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, Freestyling, for posting the link!  I watched it in its entirety and thoroughly enjoyed it's heartfelt messages of inclusion, diversity, and our common human connection which has always been Oprah's mantra.   Kudos to Holland America for making the choice to name Oprah Winfrey the Nieuw Statendam's godmother.

On another note, we just got off the Eurodam and as we boarded the ship, we were greeted with, 'Welcome home'.  That is truly how we always feel on any HAL ship in the fleet. We are looking forward to the same feeling on the NS next Fall.  Can't wait!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1