Formal night in Australia?

shofer

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The Princess "dress code" as you term it, is largely a set of recommendations and requests and not requirements.  If you read it carefully, the restrictions are things like t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops and similar very casual attire.  Smart casual dress should not be turned away at all.  That said, it not wearing a jacket, I would suggest guys wear a long-sleeve shirt and you can opt for a tie or not.  I usually go at least part way to the standard, but we came to Australia for two months and are beginning our vacation with a cruise around NZ on Majestic.  First formal night is tomorrow and I will try and remember to come back and report, but other posters indicate Aussies are going less than formal (sounds like the Caribbean market situation).  Anyway, I was not going to pack any jacket or other formal type gear for two nights out of two months.  If the MD wants to turn us out, we will go to the World Market Buffet.  On the second formal night, I have us booked into the Crown Grill for our treat night out, so formal wear is never required there.

The dress code is not a suggestion, it says please observe the dress code in MDR Standard & Anything.  When the sign on the highway say please observe the speed limit it is the requirement, same as the dress code here.  People who do not like the dress code will always try to find ways out, like the speed limits on highways. And like speed limit many times you can not follow the requirements. But sometimes they are followed and if you don't you will not find yourself in the MDR. 

It is not "largely a set of recommendations and requests and not requirements."  It is a requirement like a muster drill i a requirement the difference is Princess has chosen not to enforce the code on many cruises. But it is still the required dress. 

The code is clear it is below

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

29 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

The dress code is not a suggestion, it says please observe the dress code in MDR Standard & Anything.  When the sign on the highway say please observe the speed limit it is the requirement, same as the dress code here.  People who do not like the dress code will always try to find ways out, like the speed limits on highways. And like speed limit many times you can not follow the requirements. But sometimes they are followed and if you don't you will not find yourself in the MDR. 

It is not "largely a set of recommendations and requests and not requirements."  It is a requirement like a muster drill i a requirement the difference is Princess has chosen not to enforce the code on many cruises. But it is still the required dress. 

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

This has been discussed and debated many times before.  I will say these two things:

The section your refer to is entitled "Clothing Recommendations" - not "Requirements", "Rules", or other wording that suggests enforcement.  Within the section, they do explicitly mention unacceptable attire ( the only wording indicating an enforcement). 

Right below is another section entitled "Packing for Your Cruise", which has a link to Tips for Packing.  Here is a quote from that section of Princess' FAQ info.  "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. ".  So, even here, Princess is relaxing from their request for formal night attire. 

It is not correct to compare this to speed limits on roadways, which are laws written by governments.  But I only wish to clarify facts here and wish you enjoyable cruises and bring and wear what makes you happy and comfortable.  I don't criticize anyone who wears from tux to smart casual.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

This has been discussed and debated many times before.  I will say these two things:

The section your refer to is entitled "Clothing Recommendations" - not "Requirements", "Rules", or other wording that suggests enforcement.  Within the section, they do explicitly mention unacceptable attire ( the only wording indicating an enforcement). 

Right below is another section entitled "Packing for Your Cruise", which has a link to Tips for Packing.  Here is a quote from that section of Princess' FAQ info.  "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. ".  So, even here, Princess is relaxing from their request for formal night attire. 

It is not correct to compare this to speed limits on roadways, which are laws written by governments.  But I only wish to clarify facts here and wish you enjoyable cruises and bring and wear what makes you happy and comfortable.  I don't criticize anyone who wears from tux to smart casual.

I've pointed this out many times on this board to lots of the people who like to quote what they consider Princess's "dress requirements".

They either don't believe that Princess has posted this on their web site or simply like to live in the past with the more rigid dress requirements. 

Either way most dedicated Princess cruisers are aware that Princess no longer has the "requirements" as they have years ago & this is plainly evident by what can be seen on all Princess ships on formal nights in the DR.

I feel sorry for some of the guys who have been coerced by their wives into lugging along their jackets & ties only to find out that they're not in actuality a requirement at all, especially when the women can get by with practically any style of clothing & call it formal. 

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Yes the overall section is Clothing Recommendations for your overall cruise. The Formal night section is very clear it is not a recommendation it is a rule, if you make the choice not to follow it, then you risk being turned away. Because the rule is clear the enforcement is not. 

This is the information from the website with the link it could not be any clearer it does not say recommendation.  maybe we need the definition of Observe: 

to obey a law or rule, or celebrate a holiday or religious event in a traditionalway:

You must observe the law.
Observe is not a option or choice, it is a must do. 

Formal

5 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Yes the overall section is Clothing Recommendations for your overall cruise. The Formal night section is very clear it is not a recommendation it is a rule, if you make the choice not to follow it, then you risk being turned away. Because the rule is clear the enforcement is not. 

This is the information from the website with the link it could not be any clearer it does not say recommendation.  maybe we need the definition of Observe: 

to obey a law or rule, or celebrate a holiday or religious event in a traditionalway:

Formal

Seems pretty clear to me.

What part of "or at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" is puzzling or unclear?

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. ".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Formal

You are never going to win on this no matter how many times you try. Princess has made a decision and unless you can get them to change it then all you are doing is frustrating yourself. By the way what is the formal dress attire for the Philippines? And is it appropriate for wear on formal nights on a Princess ship? But keep trying as we always appreciate different views.

These discussions will never cease.

The end result is that people will choose what dress is appropriate for themselves no matter how you interpret Princess's written instructions. 

I choose to dress for myself & not to please anyone else on the ship. 

See Post #6 as it is always the same.  Yet when posters do complain to Princess nothing changes. All they are doing is postings their frustrations that things are changing and they do not like.  Nothing is going to change about Formal Night dress any time soon. Sorry but that is the reality and the truth.

2 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Formal

.

6 hours ago, Potstech said:

By the way what is the formal dress attire for the Philippines? And is it appropriate for wear on formal nights on a Princess ship?

Formal attire in Australia is wearing you best shorts and thongs (flipflops, not the underwear, although perhaps your best ones of those too [in case you get lucky due to your handsome footwear])  😄 

Since this topic is talking about formal on Australia cruises I guess it would be OK to talk about the cruise I took my wife on for our honeymoon-25 years ago-  I had been cruising for many years and thought it would be nice to introduce the young lady to the joys I experienced. I have always enjoyed dressing up for formal night and told her to expect to do the same.. First formal night we had a table near the entrance to the MDR and as we sat there all fancied up. we started to see other guests arriving in singlets. The better dressed ones, didn't put their empty beer cans on our table as they arrived. That was on a Sitmar ship (Fair Star) in 1994-I finally convinced her that was not common and we have made many more cruises since, including Australia, We will be returning for 25th anniversary for B2B cruises on the Majestic and so looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I promised a report on tonight's first formal night on Majestic (SYD to NZ return).  After reading notes in this thread and previous comments, I was expecting less formal attire (BTW, I am terming anything from suit/jacket&tie to tux as formal wear).  Although this ship is sailing now out of Sydney for the summer season, it is marketed in SE Asia and lots of SE Asians, Filipinos, etc on board.  Of course several could be Australian citizens as well.  But suffice to say there is a mix of nationalities on board.  From casual observations, the majority of ethnic Asians were more formally dressed than the majority of Caucasians (please note this is observational and not in the least judgmental in any way whatsoever).

My observation from one of the three MDR's, plus a large crowd around the Atrium/Piazza, is that many folks were dressed up - easily 50% - perhaps more.  I also noticed many guayabera style shirts in play, which is not surprising for this neck of the world, and is considered formal dress as has been documented here many times. 

That said, I noticed no notes of concern, comments, questions, "looking down noses", at anyone's dress and certainly no issues from the MDR staff as to attire.  As explained above, for one night out of a nine week trip, I was not taking any sort of formal wear and had no issues with long pants and a long-sleeved patterned dress shirt.  My wife wore a regular (i.e. non-"cocktail") dress. 

I saw no shorts, t-shirts, or other disallowed attire in the MDR we eat in.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I promised a report on tonight's first formal night on Majestic (SYD to NZ return).  After reading notes in this thread and previous comments, I was expecting less formal attire (BTW, I am terming anything from suit/jacket&tie to tux as formal wear).  Although this ship is sailing now out of Sydney for the summer season, it is marketed in SE Asia and lots of SE Asians, Filipinos, etc on board.  Of course several could be Australian citizens as well.  But suffice to say there is a mix of nationalities on board.  From casual observations, the majority of ethnic Asians were more formally dressed than the majority of Caucasians (please note this is observational and not in the least judgmental in any way whatsoever).

My observation from one of the three MDR's, plus a large crowd around the Atrium/Piazza, is that many folks were dressed up - easily 50% - perhaps more.  I also noticed many guayabera style shirts in play, which is not surprising for this neck of the world, and is considered formal dress as has been documented here many times. 

That said, I noticed no notes of concern, comments, questions, "looking down noses", at anyone's dress and certainly no issues from the MDR staff as to attire.  As explained above, for one night out of a nine week trip, I was not taking any sort of formal wear and had no issues with long pants and a long-sleeved patterned dress shirt.  My wife wore a regular (i.e. non-"cocktail") dress. 

I saw no shorts, t-shirts, or other disallowed attire in the MDR we eat in.

Thanks for you report on the Australian sailing. It appears to be just line all the rest of the sips nowadays, except for the CB where anything goes. 😉

On 2/7/2019 at 7:34 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Formal

.

Thank you to everyone who responded.  Looks like DH can dress neatly and be ok.   Yes, the ladies have more options but how many men will wear a glittery top w/palazzo pants?   I can wear a simple black dress with fancy jewelry and, voila, it's Formal.   Being Baby Boomers in our 70's, we can leave the insulting t-shirts at home.