paying the deposit

snowy owl

So we have a few of us that want to go on a cruise and have picked out the cruise. I want to book it so we are locked in. I was going to pay the deposit for the room and just have the rest of my friends pay me back. I was wondering about my PVP does it matter if one person does the payments or is it better for the PVP if everyone calls in and does their own payments? I have already seen it go up in price that is why I want to book.

The only way I would think it might matter is if you book a non-refundable fare and then have to cancel.  For example, with Early Saver if you cancel, you forfeit $50 per person, and the remainder of the deposit is held as a future cruise credit for that person.  But I don't know if it's held in the person's name who was on the booking, or the person who paid the deposit.  That would be something you would want to ask, because if they are giving you the money, you potentially might have to give it back to them if they cancel and the credit is in your name.  Which means you would be stuck with even more money held as credit than just your own.  Again, I am not sure as I have never been involved in this situation.

7 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

The only way I would think it might matter is if you book a non-refundable fare and then have to cancel.  For example, with Early Saver if you cancel, you forfeit $50 per person, and the remainder of the deposit is held as a future cruise credit for that person.  But I don't know if it's held in the person's name who was on the booking, or the person who paid the deposit.  That would be something you would want to ask, because if they are giving you the money, you potentially might have to give it back to them if they cancel and the credit is in your name.  Which means you would be stuck with even more money held as credit than just your own.  Again, I am not sure as I have never been involved in this situation.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2705/~/early-saver-promotion

Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

• The deposit and payment terms are the same. Guests who cancel prior to the final payment date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 USD service fee per person.
  • Future cruise credits are issued in the name of the original payee, regardless of whether they were ever booked in the cancelled reservation. For bookings paid with a travel agency credit card or check, the cruise credit will then be issued in the name of the cancelled guest.

Don’t do it . 

Book your cabin and let the others worry about price changes and availability .

Do give them your reservation # so dining can be co ordinated.

Some may wish to use a TA ?

Everyone wants to go until it is time to pay 😉

• Like 2

We give the cruise info to anyone who might want to join us. Let them put down deposit, etc. I've seen too many horror stories from people who paid fees for others, then....who backs out, who changes their mind, etc. and you're left "holding the bag." Do yourself a favor, let everyone make their own arrangements. Everyone can link up prior to cruise.

• Like 1

My experience with this is not good. Paid deposits for "family members" to cruise with us and twice had different ones back out and not care to pay us back. I will never do it again. My advice is to give them the ship, date, etc and have them book themselves.

• Like 1

Here's what my PVP did for me when I had a group of about 20 which ended up being 11.  We chose a cruise but we did not choose group rates as they are hire.  We opted to book whatever rate each person was comfortable with that they found online (Some Early Saver, etc.).  He locked in the price for us and gave us a deadline to get the deposit in.  Each person was able to contact him directly and pay their deposit.  Even roommates did not have to call in at the same time.  It ended up being 5 cabins and he linked them all together.  Sent each of us an email with the booking # and from their each person or couple could either contact him periodically and make payments over the phone with him or they could go online and make payments at their convenience.  I never worried about what others were doing.  As I said at the outset we were 20 by time the cruise came, we were 11.  I was not responsible for any money for anyone else.  All questions they had were communicated with the PVP.