Salzburg

tashsmithvodafone

What line are you on?

On our AMA sailing we had a full day tour option of Salzburg with the SOM tour OR a half day tour (Linz in the am) in the afternoon. We did Linz in the morning - grabbed an early lunch back on board and then hour and half bus to Salzburg (we had a fantastic guide on the bus) spent a good 5-6 hours in Salzburg - back on the bus and back on the ship around 7:30ish. Full day. There was also a tour to Cesky Krumlov which from these boards everyone raves about.

1 hour ago, robertmartha said:

What line are you on?

On our AMA sailing we had a full day tour option of Salzburg with the SOM tour OR a half day tour (Linz in the am) in the afternoon. We did Linz in the morning - grabbed an early lunch back on board and then hour and half bus to Salzburg (we had a fantastic guide on the bus) spent a good 5-6 hours in Salzburg - back on the bus and back on the ship around 7:30ish. Full day. There was also a tour to Cesky Krumlov which from these boards everyone raves about.

We are on Scenic and are not keen to do the Salzburg Sound of Music tour.  Is it difficult to go by train to Salzburg and would the boat leave from the same place? Do the boats stay late in Passau or leave early. 

18 hours ago, Sydneyite said:

We are on Scenic and are not keen to do the Salzburg Sound of Music tour.  Is it difficult to go by train to Salzburg and would the boat leave from the same place? Do the boats stay late in Passau or leave early. 

It is not at all difficult to take the train - that is exactly what we did in October - had tons of time in Salzburg. I was not on a Scenic cruise though (was on Gate 1) - you might want to contact Scenic to see how late they leave Passau.

13 hours ago, djh1959 said:

Why don't you call Scenic and ask them.  We are booked on Rhine Highlights in October, and I have called with a few questions, which they have been happy to answer, regarding various tours.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

It is not at all difficult to take the train - that is exactly what we did in October - had tons of time in Salzburg. I was not on a Scenic cruise though (was on Gate 1) - you might want to contact Scenic to see how late they leave Passau.

Okay I will check with them and also how long the trip takes if we do their tour. I wasn’t sure if they would tell me all the details. When I rang about letting them know my food intolerances they said I have to get my agent to tell them. 

When we did Salzburg with Scenic a few years ago, they offered a trip to the Salt Mine in Salzburg.  It does take a couple of hours to get there - but perhaps once you get there, you could see the Salt Mine on your own.   We then had some free time in the town.  It was great to see the town - not particularly interested in the SOM tour.  Our tour guide was phenomenal...  knew the Von Trapp family personally, so got some "fun facts" along the journey

Fran

1 minute ago, aaconsumer55 said:

Why do you not want to do the Sound of Music tour?  Does it not get good reviews?  I’ll be in Salzburg for a few days before I hop on Emerald river cruise in Nuremberg and was considering doing the Sound of Music tour.  Should I consider something else?

Not everyone loves the Sound of Music. 

10 hours ago, Sydneyite said:

Okay I will check with them and also how long the trip takes if we do their tour. I wasn’t sure if they would tell me all the details. When I rang about letting them know my food intolerances they said I have to get my agent to tell them. 

This is why I hate using a travel agent, which there is another post about.  We booked direct with Scenic and they are happy to tell me anything I need to know.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife loves the Sound of Music but we don't get as many chances to travel as others and I am a history buff.  We were on Scenic, with friends, and booked a Tours by Locals that picked us up at the port where we docked. We went to Mondsee and visited the abbey where the Sound of Music wedding was filmed, we did a quick walk through Salzberg, drove to Berchtesgaden and ate lunch at Eagles Nest and made it back to the boat with a few minutes to spare before it sailed.  Our tour guide knew people along the way and managed to get us to the front of many lines some how.  We had a blast but it had a cost which we felt reasonable

Just now, Got2Cruise said:

Salzburg is a great city. As a matter of fact Austrians are horrrified that Americans still insist on a Sound of Music tour. For one it is where Mozart was born you can tour his house. 

Agree - Salzburg is wonderful ... and there are 2 Mozart houses to visit (his place of birth and the Residence). 

Almost all of the many Salzburg souvenir shops that we passed sold Sound of Music paraphernalia ... so the Austrians are aware of and quite willing to make a profitto from the US fascination with the musical.

You can easily see many of the sights featured in the movie on your own (Mirabell Palace/gardens, etc.).