Getting to Port Ahead of Time?

SailingRooski

Hello all,

First time poster. I want to quickly say thank you to the community here. Really cool to get all the advice from others who are avid cruisers. 

My question is whether it is OK to arrive at board right when they open as opposed to the posted boarding time in your ticket? 

This is for NCL Breakaway out of NOLA. 

Thank you!!!  

2 minutes ago, SailingRooski said:

Well, arriving early so that we can board early.

Thoughts?

You can arrive early and check in early but there are those with priority boarding who will board the ship before you even if they arrive after you. So far, NCL doesn't hold people to the time that is given on the edocs so if you want to arrive sooner to get the process started sooner, you can. 

If the plan is to arrive early in hopes of getting a lower boarding number so that you can be among the first in general boarding to get onto the ship, you can. 

You can arrive early. Sometimes I’ve had a shuttle drop me off too early. Just be prepared to wait. You might be able to board early. But it’s not guaranteed. I think it’s not generally encouraged to arrive early because there are a lot of people and early arrivers add to them. Sometimes it can’t be helped and it happens.

4 hours ago, SailingRooski said:

Crickets chirping.... 

You can arrive any time you want. 

We normally arrive around 10:15 to get through security and check in when things are slow. 

Priority boading starts around 11:00

General boarding around 11:15-11:30. 

Buffet and 24/7 restaurant opens at 11:30 for lunch. Main dining room opens at noon. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You can arrive any time you want. 

We normally arrive around 10:15 to get through security and check in when things are slow. 

Priority boading starts around 11:00

General boarding around 11:15-11:30. 

Buffet and 24/7 restaurant opens at 11:30 for lunch. Main dining room opens at noon. 

When does it get crazy?

If you consider all passengers from the previous cruise are getting off between around 7:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. in the terminal, with incoming passengers starting to gather around 9:30 a.m. converging and crowding the sidewalks and interior to the terminal, I’d say crazy time is between 9:30-noon.  After than, the disembarking passengers either are, or have dissipated.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

@graphicguy

I’d say crazy time is between 9:30-noon.

It is interesting to be there at that time if you are a people watcher!!

LOL!  Or, it’s a study in how anxiety, fear, fatigue, etc multiplied by a few thousand people comes head to head to the excited people trying to get onto the ship are crammed into a facility.

• Haha 1

The terminal will open for check-in at approximately 9:30 am.  There will be early arrivals already waiting to enter the terminal at that time.  When the terminal opens, you will enter the check-in area where you will present your cruise documents & passports, get your photo taken, and be issued a sail pass.  After check-in you will be assigned a "Boarding Group" and be sent to a waiting area.  The earlier you check in, the lower your number or letter and the earlier your boarding group will be called to board the ship.  Unfortunately for early birds, there are several groups that will board before the lowest numbered boarding groups.  No one will board until the ship is voided of all disembarking passenger and the ship is certified ready to board by Customs and Immigration.  This is generally accomplished prior to the 12 pm schedule but sometimes may occur much later.  First on board will be the Haven guests, then other suite guests, CAS guests, Diamond Latitude members, Platinum Plus Latitude members, and Platinum Latitude members.  So....if you arrive at 9:30 am you will probably be waiting at least 3 hours before you board.  If you wait until 1:30 pm to arrive, you will speed through an almost empty check in area and have little or no waiting to board.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, SailingRooski said:

Hello all,

First time poster. I want to quickly say thank you to the community here. Really cool to get all the advice from others who are avid cruisers. 

My question is whether it is OK to arrive at board right when they open as opposed to the posted boarding time in your ticket? 

This is for NCL Breakaway out of NOLA. 

Thank you!!!  

Agree with all that has been said.  I have not cruised on Breakaway - but general advice is that if you are going on board early, make sure you take what you will need for the first few hours in a carry on.  The cabins will not be accessible until all have been cleaned, but you may want a book, medication, change of footwear etc.  

Suitcases are delivered to cabins throughout the afternoon so you cannot rely on having a change of clothes when you board - unless you carry it on.