Grand Princess Drydock March 2019

masterty

Current Cruise Director is Steve Campbell and Entertainment Director is Lee Childers.  When we get to LA (San Pedro),  the new CD Kevin Tugwell will board and Steve will leave when we return to SF.  They will only have a three day turnover.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, masterty said:

Grand has the Trident Grill as its pool deck grill. We shall see if it gets changed around. 

I noticed the Star will once again be working out of SF in May 2020 doing the 10 Day RT's to Alaska. This is likely when the Grand goes......somewhere.....

We heard on our Nov 2018 cruise from the captain that the Grand is moving to the East coast in May 2020 or 2021.  I seem to recall it is after our February  cruise in 2020.  I asked a crew member in FEB if this had changed because we also heard that it was sold and he said no.  I cant imagine they would be adding the medallion system if it was being sold.  Thank to whoever posted the pictures, we are glad to see they are updating the areas that we noticed needed attention on our last cruise.  Though why they were doing construction on our cruise when it was going into dry dock when we returned!  Sawing and hammering all day long when we were in port starting at 8 in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

What steps were taken toward the Medallion service. I understand that the mailboxes have been eliminated and that LCD screens have been installed. Are medallions used to gain entrance to cabins? Or do you still insert a key card in the door? 

Do the TV screen around the ship respond to your presence?

12 minutes ago, mherr said:

What steps were taken toward the Medallion service. I understand that the mailboxes have been eliminated and that LCD screens have been installed. Are medallions used to gain entrance to cabins? Or do you still insert a key card in the door? 

I haven't been on the Grand yet, but based on my close watching of the drydock I know that the medallions are not yet active, and won't be for some time. You will still need the key card to open your door. The LCD screen "mailboxes" are not really functional yet either. Mostly just "pretty". Even though they were installing some of the infrastructure for Medallion, none of it is live yet and there's still more work to do.

I disembarked the Grand April 6, Dani is correct on all counts. No mail box, just an attractive picture on a screen where the mail box used to hang. Your daily mail is left on your bed. My cruise card came with a hole pre-punched for easy lanyard attachment.

• 1 month later...

We have just booked a 38 day cruise from Singapore to Southampton (UK) for March 2021 so the Grand will still be with Princess at least until the end of April in that year.

One question, does the Grand have an International Cafe?

Jennie

15 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

We have just booked a 38 day cruise from Singapore to Southampton (UK) for March 2021 so the Grand will still be with Princess at least until the end of April in that year.

One question, does the Grand have an International Cafe?

Jennie

Yes, it does. It’s on deck 5. 🙂

On 4/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, mherr said:

We were on Grand just after dry dock (and just before as it happens).  Much of the infrastructure for Medallion was installed, quite a lot of it was obvious.  As to when it will be activated, no one knew or wanted to hazard a guess, the common answer was "late this year".  However, we're booked on her again February of '20 which is not listed as a Medallion cruise so my personal guess would be later in '20.  I note that her '21 Asia cruises ARE listed as Medallion which is consistent with that.

Meanwhile, yes, a small screen near the door replaced the mailbox.  It does nothing.  Standard key car is issued.  The big screens are installed all around the ship, but they do nothing other than display ad's or deck plans.  I found (some) of the ad's helpful they pointed towards activities that I'd missed in the patter or forgotten the timing of, so helpful.  

jondfk,  just booked the Grand, Pacific Northwest Coast cruise for March 29, 2020 and it's listed as the first  "Medallion Class Vacation".  Guess we'll be their guinea pig.   

On 4/1/2019 at 5:38 AM, Gimer said:

Current Cruise Director is Steve Campbell and Entertainment Director is Lee *.  When we get to LA (San Pedro),  the new CD Kevin Tugwell will board and Steve will leave when we return to SF.  They will only have a three day turnover.  

Gimmer....You mentioned before that you had photos of the areas before the dry dock & that you were going to take photos after the dry dock of those areas. Do you have any photos to post?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Aloha Tom,  I did take photos of the before dry dock and then the after, it did not show a lot of changes in the areas of the lounges.  It seems that the lounges were their lease priority.  All the pools were redone and it did not look any different, only cleaner.  The Prego Pizzeria and Trident Grill did not change, except for it's name and menus.  The Princess theater chairs were all re-upholstered, and looks like they used the same materials and sitting felt much firmer.  Many large TV screens in open areas like all the elevators, and where people would gather.  All new tables and chairs on the open decks.  ADA wheel chair ramps were add, even on the open decks.  So, I did not take after photos, cause it seems the changes were not that different, only cleaner.  Ocean Medallion is in place and the first Medallion Class cruise is March 29, 2020, the Pacific Northwest Coast cruise and we are booked on it.  Mahalo Tom.   

On 5/19/2019 at 9:11 AM, Gimer said:

jondfk,  just booked the Grand, Pacific Northwest Coast cruise for March 29, 2020 and it's listed as the first  "Medallion Class Vacation".  Guess we'll be their guinea pig.   

Interesting. I saw all the new Medallion receivers and coax on the ship last April, and they were still adding coax to some areas while we were cruising. I do not see any gaps in the ship's schedule so it seems they are just going to "flip a switch" and turn Medallion on? I realize there is much more to it than that but I wonder how they picked the date which is one year after the dry dock. I also wonder if there will be "trial runs" on the cruises preceding the go live date?

Here is the Fleet schedule for Ocean Medallion start up:

Crown-- 7/24/19

Sky-- 10/12/19

Ruby-- 1/27/20

Grand-- 3/29/20

Enchanted-- 6/15/20

Emerald-- 8/16/20

Coral-- 10/16/20

Island-- 12/20/20

I guessing there is one Ocean Medallion Technical Team that will do the Start Ups on each ship after their two years scheduled dry dock.  

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, CruiseChick33 said:

Does anyone know if the cabins were upgraded.  I just watched the marketing video of the Grand and it looks like they stained all the wood and upgraded the bedding and carpets in the cabins. The stateroom portion starts at 2:17.

At the time there were reports of light updating of the some cabins, mostly replacement of bedding.  TV's were replaced ship wide to get ready for on demand video (still not activated until OM turns on next year I believe).  I don't think any of the cabin upgrades were extensive, would be surprised if anyone reports restaining of cabins woodwork.  Our deck 6 Window Suite received no upgrades of any sort aside from a new TV - and the terrible sofa loveseat has needed replacing for many years already.  

There was quite extensive work done to the outside decks.  Resurfacing of pools and spas, replacement of failing book around the same.  Installation of hundreds (thousands?) of RF receivers required for OM.  Reupholstery chairs in the MDR and some public lounges such as Crooners, strangely Explorers lounge escaped reupholstery and needed it, I'm told they 'finish' this sort of work when the time expires so often some areas might have to wait for next time.

• Like 1