First Timer on NCL - DIfferent from what I am use to

3 hours ago, brer111 said:

I really do not understand why everyone gets so crazy about this perk. We love going on NCL - when they offer the drink perk we take it and we are not huge drinkers but we do not lose on the perk when paying a gratuity that you will pay on ship with every drink anyway. But you also have the option not to use that perk. If you take the cheapest rate for your cruise (sail-away) then you get no perk and pay less but you cannot pick your cabin If you pick a guarantee room you may not get your room until a few days before the cruise but you get perks. It all really is what best suits your needs and what you feel your willing to pay. Most of all - enjoy your cruise!

Booked a "sail-away" for the first time , within a month I had a cabin BE 100035.  I paid a little over $2k for my 11 day sailing that includes insurance...that balcony cabin without ins. comes to over $4K  so I guess I lucked out???  My Plat. level gives me enough perks to make us happy and we don't even spend $20 a day on drinks...win win situation LOL🤗

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

NCL has been running the "free perk" special for years. Never goes away. It's not something unique they do.

The Breakaway is 9 years old versus the Harmony which is 3 years old. Also, RCL usually discounts their drink package and even if you don't get one...the drink prices are reasonable. Drinks on NCL are 20-50% more expensive than on other cruise lines.

If you find some great deal on NCL try it out, they actually have a decent product. What bothers me (and many others) is their corporate culture of trying to scam customers with all their fees, surcharges, and inflated drink prices.

I just booked with RCI.  Decided to book Allure though.  The itinerary is identical to the Harmony one - also very similar to the NCL one i was considering.  But with Allure, the price was $500 less, which will free up $$ for my drink package add on when they offer a special.  I have plenty of time -- cruise is in 2020.  And even though Allure is technically older, she's been refurbed in 2015, and will be in dry dock late this year or early next.  They're doing another refresher / overhaul.  So when we sail, she'll be like a new ship again (not that older ships aren't well cared for too -- I'm just saying it should be in tip top shape when we go.)  

Thanks for all your feedback!

On 3/7/2019 at 5:11 AM, Beer Belly said:

Not sure if it just NCL, but I was surprised at end of our cruise (my first) that there was a daily Discretionary Service Charge automatically charged to our cabin.....didn't expect that one.

I think there is only 1 elite cruise line that does NOT add the daily service charge which really means TIPS/GRATUITIES.  Different lines call it different things.  But this is normal and it is listed on all of your edocs that it could be paid before boarding or at the end of your cruise. 

3 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The Breakaway is 9 years old versus the Harmony which is 3 years old.

The Breakaway was built in 2013, which would make it six years old (unless you are from the future).  Refurbished in 2018.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 7:11 AM, Beer Belly said:

Not sure if it just NCL, but I was surprised at end of our cruise (my first) that there was a daily Discretionary Service Charge automatically charged to our cabin.....didn't expect that one.

We cruised(and continue) with NCL, RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, Holland, MSC, Carnival(scratch this one) and they all have the same system.

When we started in 2003 some of them still had cash system, so nothing was added automatically, but we had recommended amounts listed for Main Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Cabin Steward etc.

Switch to autogratuities was explained this way:

1) While people who directly serve you get generous tips (usually), people behind the scene who still provide service get very little from the company (I actually met on very first cruise on Celebrity general areas cleaner from Former USSR who wanted to speak to me in our common language and he said that his salary was $450 per month plus his flights to and from were paid). He was not getting any more money as he did not serve people directly. At the same time waiters were getting up to $4K a month. So companies decided to use money more equally. It does make sense although I would just add more money to the fare and recommend lesser personal tip.

2) 20 years ago most of lines had only traditional dining. So you had the same person serving you whole cruise. Now... with anytime... and especially on NCL there is no traditional dining. Who would you tip? I remember in 2009 on Royal Caribbean(RCCL) if you had traditional dining you still tipped in cash and autogratuities were not collected. If you opted for My Time Dining (freestyle) then they would charge autogratuities.