Upgrade to Haven from Family Suite

hornbri

I have enjoyed reading this board for the last few months as I get ready for my first cruise ever. We are traveling on the Jewel to Alaska in June. We just got the offer to bid on upgrades and am wondering if it is worth it. 

Since we are currently in a Family Suite so we already have the priority boarding and concierge/butler service available. We will have a 3 and 6 year old with us so the only option we would be interested in is the Haven Family suite which looks like almost the same room but I guess the additional benefit would be access to the Haven area and restaurant? Any additional perk I am not thinking of?

If it is a significant upgrade the cost is not a concern, just want to make sure it really is a upgrade. 

Well, consider that you'll be in Alaska in June. The Haven would at least give you a pool that you could use, regardless of the weather. It might end up being too cold to use the one outside. Granted, you may not be interested in the pool, or paying that much for guaranteed pool access...

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

I have enjoyed reading this board for the last few months as I get ready for my first cruise ever. We are traveling on the Jewel to Alaska in June. We just got the offer to bid on upgrades and am wondering if it is worth it. 

Since we are currently in a Family Suite so we already have the priority boarding and concierge/butler service available. We will have a 3 and 6 year old with us so the only option we would be interested in is the Haven Family suite which looks like almost the same room but I guess the additional benefit would be access to the Haven area and restaurant? Any additional perk I am not thinking of?

If it is a significant upgrade the cost is not a concern, just want to make sure it really is a upgrade. 

There is no benefit. We always take standard suites and do not bother with the Haven.

You'll be invited to the same cocktail parties in the Haven complex. You'll be invited to the same glacier watching parties in the Haven complex. There is NO Haven restaurant, so you'll be eating breakfast and lunch with the Haven guests in Moderno. 

Access to the Haven area is not worth it. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

We went on the gem in 2016 and had a family suite and got upgraded at no charge to the yellow diamond suite owner's suite i have a video of the suite on my youtube page which is stevenwar30

Basically the two suites are the same size and features - the difference is deck 11 for the 2BR suite

and deck 14 for the Haven 2BR suite.

OH and $$$$$ wise a difference of about $1500-$2000 - now that is some difference !

BirdTravels post number 3 sums it up perfectly.

The only place the Haven is really worth it is on the big ships with a Haven restaurant bar lounge -

the ship within a ship concept

The JEWEL is not that kind of ship.

One thing to consider is where your original suite is located.  Some of the suites on deck 11 are directly under the fitness center.  We had a bad experience in that location on the Jade.  Even though the gym was technically closed at night, folks thought it was ok to lift weights and drop them on the floor directly above the 2nd bedroom our grandson slept in.  Even nap time was affected.  So wished we were in the Haven Complex for that cruise.  We have been in the Haven on the Jewel and it is wonderful...a different experience than a regular suite, but we aslo book regular suites too :classic_smile:

If cost is not so much an issue, I would consider moving to the Haven Complex.  IMHO, it is much more conducive to a good night's sleep:)  Yes, you have a small pool and a jacuzzi.  There is no Haven restaurant as noted above, but you can actually have breakfast and lunch served in the Haven pool area.  The sun deck/observation area is wonderful for Alaska and you will have access at all times.  Restricted key card access to the Haven also.

Hope that helps!

The two suites are very nearly  identical but you have access to the small Haven area with the ones located in the Haven . In my opinion not worth it on the Jewell class ships. We always book an owner's suite which are on deck 9 or 10 away from the complex and we spend zero time in the Haven.

12 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

The fitness center is on the port side. On the starboard side the SC suites appear to be under the library, hair salon, etc. 

The suites that would have the most impact of the fitness area are 11512 11518 11524 (port side).

The other 7 suites on deck 11 would be a non issue - steam rooms - hair salon - spas - library - card room  photo studio.

Reference LINK:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Jewel

Click on decks 11 and 12

14 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

The fitness center is on the port side. On the starboard side the SC suites appear to be under the library, hair salon, etc. 

Yep. Stayed in 11012 once and didn't hear a sound from the library above us. 

1 minute ago, pbenjamin said:

Good to hear.  We have 11012 on the Jewel in our next cruise.

I think you'll like it. Yes, it's near the elevators, but the suite is so large, it's pretty well insulated from any noise. Additionally, it was really easy to move about the ship as the elevators were right there.

• Like 1