Travel insurance to US & Canada including cruise with pre-existing heart condition

I need help in finding a travel insurance policy that will cover my husband's pre-existing heart condition.  We are travelling to Alaska (land tour), then Holland America cruise from Seward to Vancouver, then 2 weeks doing the Rocky Mountains trail with Scenic.  He is 61, heart attack in June 2016 which resulted in 2 stents.  Also Guillain Barre back in January 2006.  He has fully recovered and runs our electrical business as well as doing full time electrical work, so no lingering effects of either.  Everywhere I've tried he is getting knocked back on travel insurance for the heart condition (one agent eliminated everything but heart and that was the knock back reason).  Any suggestions on who to turn to?  At my wit's end as we leave in May 2019 and I honestly didn't think it would be a problem, considering there are lots of seniors out there with heart conditions who must get travel insurance from someone.  Thanks for any advice.

I am just turned 60 and have AF....not the same as your husband's condition, but still a heart condition. My condition is ongoing and is still present and I have had it for about 10 years now. It is controlled by medication. 

1Cover currently insure me no problems. I have previously used TID as well, but chose 1Cover as they have an annual policy which I take up and can go away for up to 90 days at a time. Everything is completed on line. 

I have had claims with them previously and been fully refunded, but these have not related to my AF. 

Would recommend them. 

Should add that I also had knock backs from some companies.

1Cover were a lot cheaper than TID as TID refer you to another company to cover your pre existing conditions. And they were very expensive! 

My husband had a heart attack in 2010 which resulted in one stent, he is on numerous cardiac medications, warfarin and a Statin;  no ongoing issues for the last 9 years. I was planning a trip similar to yours and got a quote from Insureandgo which gave cover for those existing conditions, the extra premium was around $1500 on top of the basic policy cost. Unfortunately between planning and booking trip husband had a second cardiac incident so unable to get insurance for those countries again.

By the way husband is 69, good luck.

1 hour ago, jland said:

My husband had heart failure in 2010. Allclear travel insurance is the only company who will cover him to travel to America. The cover is very expensive.

That is the company who TID referred me to to cover my pre existing condition, although I thought their name was Travel Clear. And they were VERY expensive. 

TID covered everything relating to travel insurance other than my pre existing condition, which Travel Clear covered. 

Edited by Fletch1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, sailco said:

Have you tried the RACQ? The NRMA in NSW offer very reasonably priced policies to cover pre existing medical conditions. good luck.

I have pre existing including heart and other issues, we are the big 70.  NRMA (Covermore) insured me for travel to USA in April, reasonably priced.   I also got a policy for Asia next Feb/March/April.  Both policies are for cruise/land travel, unlimited cancellation and medical.

They do an easy on line assessment.  Allianz rejected me for the credit card insurance.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have pre existing including heart and other issues, we are the big 70.  NRMA (Covermore) insured me for travel to USA in April, reasonably priced.   I also got a policy for Asia next Feb/March/April.  Both policies are for cruise/land travel, unlimited cancellation and medical.

They do an easy on line assessment.  Allianz rejected me for the credit card insurance.

As above, we have used NRMA for years now. We take out a whole of world, 12 month fully inclusive policy. We both have pre existing conditions which we declare IN FULL. No sense trying to pussy foot around the issues. Give RACQ a try and let us know how you get on.

Probably not what you want to hear but my grandparents gave up travel to America mainly because of the cost of travel insurance. My grandfather had a pacemaker and it sent the costs up. I know they adjusted the policies slightly at times to go where as the heart would not be covered but if he died he would be able to be returned and insurance also covered other non heart related injuries, theft and the usual things. I know it was possible to take some things off the policy. He figured with the money he had that he could afford by himself anything he had to pay for otherwise they would not have gone. In the end and towards their last cruises they just stuck close to Australia with luggage insurance only.

All I know is that it was a bit of work to sit down with the Doctor and say what do I need to insure and what don't I need to insure to make the trip happen. It was still possible to go but he was aware that he would have to wear some personal financial costs if he did get sick from anything heart related while away and he gambled that it was a risk worth taking on some occasions. For them it was a matter of taking some things off the policy.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.  1Cover have knocked us back.  Seniors Travel Insurance rang and when I explained to her, was told that because of the heart + going to America/Canada, would not cover (high risk areas apparently).  I went onto the company that underwrites RACQ and knocked back.  Allianz & Covermore & HCG knocked back.  I have two options at the moment - Southern Cross Travel Insurance (which the BUPA lady told me about) and also Allclear from Fletch 1 above so thankyou.  Brisbane41 - taking your advice and Gary is going to the doctor to talk about it all and make sure we get absolutely everything correct.  I can't think of anything else I need to declare but being on the safe side.  Will let you all know how we can on but I'm feeling positive now, even though it will probably be an excess of about $1200 or so.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, Grandma2000 said:

Thanks everyone for all of your help.  1Cover have knocked us back.  Seniors Travel Insurance rang and when I explained to her, was told that because of the heart + going to America/Canada, would not cover (high risk areas apparently).  I went onto the company that underwrites RACQ and knocked back.  Allianz & Covermore & HCG knocked back.  I have two options at the moment - Southern Cross Travel Insurance (which the BUPA lady told me about) and also Allclear from Fletch 1 above so thankyou.

You haven't mentioned Insure and Go - did you try them? I have pre existing conditions and they are one of the few insurers who will provide cover (with an additional premium)

They might be worth a try

I would second InsureandGo. I use them all the time now. Forget Covermore if you are going to the US. They do not want to know you. I used to use them but once I mentioned the USA they virtually told me to get lost.

Thanks Joybook and Stickman1990.  After your posts, I did try Insure and Go and they would cover also so it came down to 3 - them as well as Southern Cross Travel Insurance and Allclear.  In the end I went with Southern Cross - they were a lot less expensive and I was happy when comparing the policies.  Thanks everyone for your help.  Now I can't wait to go on this trip.

• Like 1