P and O Med Cruise September 2019

Davey M

The last port on my cruise is Gibraltar. Is it far to walk from the ship to the cable car? I don't think we have much time there as sailing in the afternoon?

Edited by Davey M

We have walked there on previous trips.  We have an early breakfast and get off the ship as soon as possible.  It is a flat walk and I think it took us approximately half-an-hour. It depends how fit you are - this is walking quite briskly.  We got to the cable car station well before any of the arranged tours.  A couple of years ago we walked to the cable car, took it to the top and then carried on walking upwards to find the Mediterranean Steps which come back down from the rock ending up by the lighthouse.  We then walked from there back to the ship, with time for a spot of shopping in the main street on the way back.  And all in half a day!

Michele

Michele

You can take a tour from the port and this will include the apes at the top of the cable car.  This saves the queues for the cable car.   You can also get tours in the town just outside the Trafalgar cemetery at the top of Main Street.

14 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Just a word of warning to have a 'Plan B' in mind. The queue for the cable-car was very long when we were there in September last (around 2 hours, IIRC!).

Ive heard about the queues

11 hours ago, Mewat said:

We have walked there on previous trips.  We have an early breakfast and get off the ship as soon as possible.  It is a flat walk and I think it took us approximately half-an-hour. It depends how fit you are - this is walking quite briskly.  We got to the cable car station well before any of the arranged tours.  A couple of years ago we walked to the cable car, took it to the top and then carried on walking upwards to find the Mediterranean Steps which come back down from the rock ending up by the lighthouse.  We then walked from there back to the ship, with time for a spot of shopping in the main street on the way back.  And all in half a day!

Michele

Michele

Thanks. Sounds quite a long walk for me as I have a mobility problems.

11 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Yes,walking from ship to cable car about 30/40 mins.Get off early enough and beat the queues,we just jumped on. However it did take longer to walk back as I had to keep looking in the  shops(bought a litre of M&S gin for £5)

I think be a bit too far for me to walk as I have mobility problems

11 hours ago, Mewat said:

Michele

Michele

Perhaps a P  and O shore excursion  might be better for me as I cannot walk much

As per previous replies, 15 mins or so from the shuttle bus drop off point, 30 mins from the ship if walking all the way. But there are also private taxis waiting outside the cruise terminal and if you get off early and get one of these direct to the cable car station you can beat the rush provided that there is not another cruise ship in port which arrived earlier and whose passengers may already be there.