MSC - False advertising regarding Fantastica drink packages!

pzsdd6

5 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

That is not true, your issue is with your Travel Agent, they sold you a product you say you have not received, as a reseller they are responsible, not the service provider (MSC), had you bought direct on the MSC website things would be very different.

You should be taking legal action against your travel agent if they can't provide you with what you paid them for. 

Our VP only help us with planning and consulting as well as contacting various reps at MSC. Our actual booking was made on and thru the MSC website.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

Our VP only help us with planning and consulting as well as contacting various reps at MSC. Our actual booking was made on and thru the MSC website.

I take it back then, we have nothing like that in the here, you either buy direct or through a travel agent.

I have never heard of anyone who just plans a trip without actually providing a product.

Can I ask, do you not pay them to arrange things, I can't think how they make any money otherwise, a travel agent makes their money through commision by making that purchase on your behalf.

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I take it back then, we have nothing like that in the here, you either buy direct or through a travel agent.

I have never heard of anyone who just plans a trip without actually providing a product.

Can I ask, do you not pay them to arrange things, I can't think how they make any money otherwise, a travel agent makes their money through commision by making that purchase on your behalf.

Yes, they do make money by selling a product, however our VP is a friend, thus the guidance provided. I actually made the booking.

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

You are mistaken if the OP is from the usa. In the US, technically travel agents work for the cruise line as that is who gives them money in the form of commission. The guest should never pay any money directly to a travel agent. We pay direct to the cruise line but the travel agent takes our CC info and does the actual booking.  If I book a trip through joes travel service, the statement on my credit card comes from MSC even though i have joe my cc info. Under no circumstances in US law would the travel agent be responsible for this mess.

**although i should mention that travel agents and tour operators are very different things in the US and each fall under different laws. 

On an earlier post, someone made light of my choosing MSC and then complaining, they posted “there’s always funships!”

Well I’ll tell you something. I’ve done over 40 on the “funships” since 1979, and over the years there have been a few issues that have happened, however they have always gone above and beyond to correct them, above and beyond to compensate, and most importantly, make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else!  Now that’s not to say that they haven’t had their share of serious issues and I’m sure not everyone was satisfied 100% with their corrective actions, but I have never heard of them or any other cruiseline that operates largely in the US market doing something so flagrantly and then thumbing their noses at customers.

I think that this and the continued misleading and indifference is what has drawn the ire of so many.

P.S. - I only wish they had a bigger presence in the Mediterranean, my choice of cruise lines would be much easier.

Edited by pzsdd6

9 hours ago, JAGR said:

Also, it should be noted that active and retired Fire, EMS, Police and Educators (Elementary through University) are eligible for the 5-10% additional discount.

Anytime I book I say I'm a Veteran, LEO and "old" - which discount or combo is the best 🙂  🙂 

This post is getting out of control.  I can't believe those who claimed to cruise many time are making this fuss.  Every cruise lines, especially, Carnival, does this not literally Fantastica or Bella, when you book Carnival, they ask to upgrade cabin, same floor but towards middle for additional fees.  Fantastica is same, you pay little more for better cabin and free room service, and drinks were an added bonus.  Also, for kids, they can enroll to classes/lessons Bella shouldn't/isn't allow to.  Good luck suing, there are so many small printed exceptions that covers any changes that company makes, especially when you submit your eDoc, there is a check for Terms and agreement, that basically you sign all your rights away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

On an earlier post, someone made light of my choosing MSC and then complaining, they posted “there’s always funships!”

Well I’ll tell you something. I’ve done over 40 on the “funships” since 1979, and over the years there have been a few issues that have happened, however they have always gone above and beyond to correct them, above and beyond to compensate, and most importantly, make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else!  Now that’s not to say that they haven’t had their share of serious issues and I’m sure not everyone was satisfied 100% with their corrective actions, but I have never heard of them or any other cruiseline that operates largely in the US market doing something so flagrantly and then thumbing their noses at customers.

I think that this and the continued misleading and indifference is what has drawn the ire of so many.

P.S. - I only wish they had a bigger presence in the Mediterranean, my choice of cruise lines would be much easier.

I'm sure some would call MSC a "Funship", not sure why...

1999320167_ScreenShot2019-03-29at10_30_39PM.png.2dbd146c9ab33654aca58f17c02b923b.png

Apparently with the integrity and food quality to match.  

5 hours ago, ashank1m said:

This post is getting out of control.  I can't believe those who claimed to cruise many time are making this fuss.  Every cruise lines, especially, Carnival, does this not literally Fantastica or Bella, when you book Carnival, they ask to upgrade cabin, same floor but towards middle for additional fees.  Fantastica is same, you pay little more for better cabin and free room service, and drinks were an added bonus.  Also, for kids, they can enroll to classes/lessons Bella shouldn't/isn't allow to.  Good luck suing, there are so many small printed exceptions that covers any changes that company makes, especially when you submit your eDoc, there is a check for Terms and agreement, that basically you sign all your rights away.

I disagree...why is this post “out of control”?  

Also, the 12 drink vouchers wasn’t “an added bonus”, it was part of the “Fantastica experience” that we all paid for.

If MSC is truly just charging us for a “better cabin” location, “free room service”, and for kids to “enroll in classes/lessons”  then that’s how they should sell it, however they have apparently known that they weren’t honoring the vouchers past March 21st or somewhere in that vicinity, since Aug 2018 yet they were still selling them as part of the package long after that date.   

That’s false advertisement.  

Also I haven’t read on here that any of us plan to sue them.  

• Like 1

Yes the only reasonable explanation is denial because the facts have been stated (I even posted a screen shot of my e-ticket saying we’re getting the 12 drink vouchers) yet it somehow isn’t MSC’s fault. lol 

Maybe someday I’ll find a company like this that I can defend to my death but I don’t see that happening. 

MSC is part of a mass market, we all know that and the reviews on customer service are a pretty good indicator of what kind of company they are.

Why did we choose them for our Mediterranean cruise?  Because of the itinerary, price and dates we were going to be in that area.  We have very good friends who sailed on Divina in November 2017 in the Caribbean and they told us not to do it. lol. 

I’m sure we will have a great time, but we are going into this cruise expecting the worse but hoping for a good experience.  As long as my wine is waiting for me in the room I’ll be a happy cruiser. 🙂

2 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Yes the only reasonable explanation is denial because the facts have been stated (I even posted a screen shot of my e-ticket saying we’re getting the 12 drink vouchers) yet it somehow isn’t MSC’s fault. lol 

For those who have the vouchers indicated on their tickets, I respectfully suggest you take it up with Guest Services onboard.  It would seem odd that you have evidence of something to be provided when you embark and not receive it.  If you're not willing to make a fuss about it, then you can't expect MSC to address the issue.  No point bleating on here about it (and I'm not referring to you, Styles).

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

For those who have the vouchers indicated on their tickets, I respectfully suggest you take it up with Guest Services onboard.  It would seem odd that you have evidence of something to be provided when you embark and not receive it.  If you're not willing to make a fuss about it, then you can't expect MSC to address the issue.  No point bleating on here about it (and I'm not referring to you, Styles).

Exactly my feelings if its on the documents how can MSC possibly dispute it? and not honour it in some shape or form?  and IF for some reason the 12 vouchers do not   automatically appear  I truly believe with MSC its all about how you converse with them and guest services,  they dont always do the "obvious" that you think they will say or do. from experience I have found that with any disputes either major or minor its always easier if you tell them calmly and nicely  how you wish it to be resolved, and not wait for them to resolve it, and up to now its worked . Ive no issues with MSC we have 3 upcoming cruises booked with them . Tried the so called "fun ship"  no bloody fun at all . 

• Like 2

Absolutely plan on asking about it either at check in or while on board. I’ve already printed out my original booking confirmation and my final paperwork. 

I’m definitely of the belief that I will kill them with kindness. How could they say no to that? 😉

3 hours ago, glittergal1 said:
5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Exactly my feelings if its on the documents how can MSC possibly dispute it? and not honour it in some shape or form?  and IF for some reason the 12 vouchers do not   automatically appear  I truly believe with MSC its all about how you converse with them and guest services,  they dont always do the "obvious" that you think they will say or do. from experience I have found that with any disputes either major or minor its always easier if you tell them calmly and nicely  how you wish it to be resolved, and not wait for them to resolve it, and up to now its worked . Ive no issues with MSC we have 3 upcoming cruises booked with them . Tried the so called "fun ship"  no bloody fun at all . 

I'd like to believe that they will honor what is in writing but from personal experience I'm not holding my breath. 

From my review of my last MSC cruise:

"As I posted before I left, we had booked 2 weeks, the first week in a Fantastica balcony and the second week in the YC.

About a week before we left, our first week got upgraded to the YC. The e docs we received stated that all the Y perks were included.

As we are waiting to board the ship, the butler tells us that we have a YC room but not the perks! He said if we want them, then go to guest services. He aslo said to let them know about not having our luggage.

So once we board, we docs in hand we head to guest services. We show them the docs that state everything is included. He said, that wasn’t supposed to be on there. We say, too bad, it is there and you should honor it. So he goes to talk to a supervisor. Comes back and says no one on the ship can make that decision and they have to call head office. In the meantime, go to the concierge desk and fill out a form about our luggage.

We get some lunch, and then head to the YC Concierge desk, fill out the luggage form and ask her to call guest services to see if they heard back form shore side. The answer is no, they will not honor the info they sent to us. We asked to talk to the supervisor in person. 

She comes to the Concierges desk and states that there is nothing she can do, head office said no. If we want the perks, we can pay 35 euros pp/pd. She says there is no-one on the ship that can override the head office decision. 

I am tired of dealing with this so we pay the 35 euros pp/pd which is for 6 days since we were originally supposed to board in Genoa so this cruise is just 6 days. 

I am going to have my TA try to get that reimbursed."

15 minutes ago, electro said:

I'd like to believe that they will honor what is in writing but from personal experience I'm not holding my breath. 

"As I posted before I left, we had booked 2 weeks, the first week in a Fantastica balcony and the second week in the YC.

About a week before we left, our first week got upgraded to the YC. The e docs we received stated that all the Y perks were included.

As we are waiting to board the ship, the butler tells us that we have a YC room but not the perks! He said if we want them, then go to guest services. He aslo said to let them know about not having our luggage.

So once we board, we docs in hand we head to guest services. We show them the docs that state everything is included. He said, that wasn’t supposed to be on there. We say, too bad, it is there and you should honor it. So he goes to talk to a supervisor. Comes back and says no one on the ship can make that decision and they have to call head office. In the meantime, go to the concierge desk and fill out a form about our luggage.

We get some lunch, and then head to the YC Concierge desk, fill out the luggage form and ask her to call guest services to see if they heard back form shore side. The answer is no, they will not honor the info they sent to us. We asked to talk to the supervisor in person. 

She comes to the Concierges desk and states that there is nothing she can do, head office said no. If we want the perks, we can pay 35 euros pp/pd. She says there is no-one on the ship that can override the head office decision. 

I am tired of dealing with this so we pay the 35 euros pp/pd which is for 6 days since we were originally supposed to board in Genoa so this cruise is just 6 days. 

So it seems to be common practice for MSC.  What a horrible disconnect between the customer service reps on board and the head office.  

As I said, I’m not holding my breath that we will receive what we contracted for with MSC but I will say that I won’t give them a second chance to cheat me out of something we paid for.

I will enjoy our cruise either way because considering what we paid for it the 12 (or 24 really since it’s my husband and I) drink vouchers aren’t worth the headache.

1 hour ago, electro said:

How much did you pay for the YC upgrade? I've heard of upgrades on other cruise lines, but not MSC yet. Did you contact them or did they contact you for the upgrade?

10 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

How much did you pay for the YC upgrade? I've heard of upgrades on other cruise lines, but not MSC yet. Did you contact them or did they contact you for the upgrade?

I didn't pay for the upgrade, MSC just upgraded me, I have no idea why.

Lois

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

So it seems to be common practice for MSC.  What a horrible disconnect between the customer service reps on board and the head office.  

As I said, I’m not holding my breath that we will receive what we contracted for with MSC but I will say that I won’t give them a second chance to cheat me out of something we paid for.

I will enjoy our cruise either way because considering what we paid for it the 12 (or 24 really since it’s my husband and I) drink vouchers aren’t worth the headache.

It’s amazing how many people have similar stories of being ripped off by MSC......

I mean help me out here because for some reason I’m calling it the wrong thing ........I mean look what’s happens when I post!

What do you call it when a company promotes something, very clearly calling out that it contains A,B, and C for X amount of money. Which you pay for in advance, then on the day of delivery, said company says there only going to give you item A, item B is waitlisted, and oh by the way, we’re not giving you C at all. Top it off by having every person you talk to at the company to address this, tell you too bad!!!        I’m pretty sure there’s a name for that.....hmmmm....let me see???

Folks, this is what you get from a company that is ranked dead last in cruise line ratings from the Better Business Bureau!

Once again, take a look at what’s being posted all over Cruise Critic. BTW, take a look at the member reviews of the Bellissima since it launched........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, electro said:

Firstly Im sorry that your cruise didnt start how you wished

BUT

When you book Fantastica you only get Fantastica which you say you booked for the first week (yc the second) 

SO

Even though MSC upgraded you to Yacht Club ROOM YOU DONT GET Yacht club Benefits just because you are in a Yacht club room , you would still get fANTASTICA benefits so having to pay the 35 euros to get the Yacht club benefits would be totally correct.

It would be the same if you booked a Bella room and were upgraded to a Fantastica room you would still only get BEllA experience 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Firstly Im sorry that your cruise didnt start how you wished

BUT

When you book Fantastica you only get Fantastica which you say you booked for the first week (yc the second) 

SO

Even though MSC upgraded you to Yacht Club ROOM YOU DONT GET Yacht club Benefits just because you are in a Yacht club room , you would still get fANTASTICA benefits so having to pay the 35 euros to get the Yacht club benefits would be totally correct.

It would be the same if you booked a Bella room and were upgraded to a Fantastica room you would still only get BEllA experience 

I would normally agree, but their docs said Yacht Club was included.  That's MSC's mistake, and they should honor their agreements.  Especially for someone who is paying for the Yacht Club the 2nd week, that's someone they should want returning to their ship.

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I would normally agree, but their docs said Yacht Club was included.  That's MSC's mistake, and they should honor their agreements.  Especially for someone who is paying for the Yacht Club the 2nd week, that's someone they should want returning to their ship.

Exactly.  I’ve always been told and also advise others to “get it in writing”...it seems that doesn’t really matter when it comes with dealing with MSC.  

They really need to invest in their IT department.  These auto generated documents are causing a lot of grief.  

If my e-tickets didn’t have the 12 drink vouchers on them I wouldn’t have a bone to pick, but it clearly states that the vouchers are still included as they were when we originally booked.

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

This, it very clearly stated that we would get the perks. Because of this, we canceled the drink package and thermal spa package we bought because it said they were included. To rebuy them on the ship would have been more expensive. The basic facts are that  on the ship they don't honor what is in writing and their personnel on the ship are not empowered to make decisions to make thinks right.

We still had a great time on that cruise and I got the 35 euros pp/pd for the YC reimbursed when I got home.

Full review here if you are interested

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2352992-no-luggage-yc-upgrade-splendida-cruise/

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Exactly.  I’ve always been told and also advise others to “get it in writing”...it seems that doesn’t really matter when it comes with dealing with MSC.  

They really need to invest in their IT department.  These auto generated documents are causing a lot of grief.  

If my e-tickets didn’t have the 12 drink vouchers on them I wouldn’t have a bone to pick, but it clearly states that the vouchers are still included as they were when we originally booked.

Also, let's say you've already picked your ideal cabin location.  Your on the hump midship, or aft, not directly below any public areas, facing the best views of Alaska, Norway, or South America.  You've got friends or family that booked a few cabins down, intentionally to be close by.  And as electro just stated, you've also got all your drink and thermal spa packages already in place.

There are many factors that could lead one to view a last minute upgrade, possibly to the unbooked scraps, as an actual downgrade over a well planned out cabin.  Yacht Club perks obviously sweeten the pot, if they're worth the paper they're written on.

I'm seeing some more reviews of status match being ignored once you're on the ship.  Why does MSC have all the power in changing the rules?   "I know I paid for OV, that's what my booking says, but my wife and I have decided that this is no longer valid.  Give us a veranda."  I'm sure MSC would love the same treatment in reverse.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

without seeing the actual document its difficult to say who is at fault , it may have on the documents stating yacht club benefits with reference to the second week only and not the first week. Either way they were upgraded to a yacht club room , that does NOT come with yacht club benefits they would still have Fantastica as I said. 

All I know is when we have had any issues with MSC they have been dealt with to our satisfaction , and in one case when they cancelled our cruise it went even beyond that over and above our expectations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

without seeing the actual document its difficult to say who is at fault , it may have on the documents stating yacht club benefits with reference to the second week only and not the first week. Either way they were upgraded to a yacht club room , that does NOT come with yacht club benefits they would still have Fantastica as I said. 

All I know is when we have had any issues with MSC they have been dealt with to our satisfaction , and in one case when they cancelled our cruise it went even beyond that over and above our expectations. 

They were 2 separate sets of documents as the 2 weeks were booked separately as 2 different cruises.

Turns out NCL shore side agreed with me, when I got home, I sent a copy of the docs and my receipt for paying extra to get the YC benefits tp post cruise customer service and they reimbursed me for the cost of the YC benefits.

Edited by electro