MSC - False advertising regarding Fantastica drink packages!

pzsdd6

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Your outlook is commendable!

I can understand why people are annoyed at this (the OP's rant notwithstanding) - it's very wrong of MSC to entice bookings with an offer, and then rescind that very offer.  I think if enough people contacted MSC and complained loudly enough, they'd either reconsider, or offer something to replace the vouchers.  It worked in the UK very recently when MSC tried to make the Daily Service Charge mandatory (I don't know if you saw the thread on here on the subject).  There was such push-back that they rescinded the policy very quickly.

The situation re the waitlist for dining is normal;  MSC don't assign your dining times 'til you embark.  With Fantastica, you have a better chance of changing your assigned time if it doesn't suit than someone with a Bella booking would.

Thank you!

With this being our first MSC cruise I didn’t realize all bookings say waitlist for dining. 

There is hope! 

I didnt see the thread you're speaking of but thats interesting.

I have called MSC about the vouchers and written a “nice” letter/email but I’ve only received an automated type reply saying something to the effect of “sorry for the inconvenience” etc. 

At this point we’re not going to let something worth a couple of hundred dollars impact our vacation in a negative way.  

We’ll see what happens when we board. 

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

Do you have in writing from MSC that the drinks vouchers are not available for your cruise? and that you will not be getting a substitute offer? 

Our VP only received a verbal from the MSC people, when she requested written documentation on both their policy and the recent changes, MSC stated that they did not have time to accommodate her request.

While I was never able to speak with anyone from MSC myself (unable to reach anyone by phone, emails unanswered), our VP did say that she has never in her long career in vacation planning, ever experienced such a toxic attitude as what she received from MSC.

I suppose I’m fortunate, I booked directly with MSC on the phone and I’ve never had a problem reaching customer service.

I’ve called a few times since booking, the first being to change the location of our room and the rep I spoke to was very accommodating and friendly.

The second time I phoned was when I noticed that the 12 drink vouchers weren’t showing up on our reservation after we made our final payment.  Again, nice rep who even agreed with me that she would be disappointed too etc.

Last week phoned about the 6 bottles of wine we paid for to be in the room (they weren’t showing up on our reservation) the gentleman I spoke to was awesome and within 30 min the wine was showing up on our booking info.

I’ve been in the service industry for 34 yr (hairstylist/salon owner) and if I’ve learned anything from trying to satisfy my clients over the years it’s to be kind, respectful and listen to what the other person is saying. It’s not the representative’s fault that MSC decided to take away/do away with the vouchers so why would I give them any grief when I call?  

On the other hand if I have a demanding, arrogant client who is shouting at me...I will go out of my way to NOT  accommodate them.  I’m not saying the OP did this, I’m just trying to give some perspective from the other side.

We’ve sailed on every major line since the early 90’s and all of them have their problems.  

Having said that, the price for a cruise has not risen very much since our first cruise...I save my paperwork so I have something to compare it to. Therefore something has to give whether it be the food quality, customer service, entertainment etc.  

I refuse to let something small malign my opinion of any cruise line.  In the grand scheme of things that would be silly.  If however we arrive and our stateroom has been given away...now that would be a huge problem! 😉

Bon Voyage everyone! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pzsdd6 said:

Our VP only received a verbal from the MSC people, when she requested written documentation on both their policy and the recent changes, MSC stated that they did not have time to accommodate her request.

While I was never able to speak with anyone from MSC myself (unable to reach anyone by phone, emails unanswered), our VP did say that she has never in her long career in vacation planning, ever experienced such a toxic attitude as what she received from MSC.

Who did you email? what address? . Ive always had any issues dealt with promptly and to my satisfaction , seems odd you couldnt even get to speak to anyone on the telephone.  were you calling the general MSC number displayed on the website ? if not what number were you calling/ department . 

15 minutes ago, glittergal1 said:

Who did you email? what address? . Ive always had any issues dealt with promptly and to my satisfaction , seems odd you couldnt even get to speak to anyone on the telephone.  were you calling the general MSC number displayed on the website ? if not what number were you calling/ department . 

Ok, I need to add my 2 cents. I have 2 cruises booked one will be in 15 days with Bellissima and one in August with Seaside. 

My question is about I booked the Cirque show for 4/17 but show on my booking for 4/16 and the drinking water in the MDR.

I sent an email to contact us on the website on Sunday. Not get any reply.

I went on MSC Facebook page and message then 2 days ago. Never get any reply back.

I called, The person answered the phone cannot answer the question because she did not know the answer. She said just get on the ship and find down about it. 

Disappointed because MSC ignored to answer the email and Facebook and then the phone call cannot even solve anything. I guess you got what you paid for. I am sure I will enjoy the port I visit but now I not sure about the cruise itself. 

This is my Fantastica experience. 

I found the cruise I wanted after looking at various lines - Going to the Baltic in April and the itinerary fit my needs.  I called MSC directly to book.  I had no idea of different packages, just knew about where I wanted to be on the ship.  When I booked I was told by MSC the cabin was a Fastictica experience TO INCLUDE:  12 drink vouchers, free room service breakfast, requested dining time, and some discounts on spa services.  I didn't ask;  they told me what I would get.  It was an additional $200-$300  PP - I forget exactly.  The vouchers added a value PP of appx $100-$120.  That made Fantasica have a higher value than Bella.  I could have stayed in the same area of the ship on the 8 deck for no additional.  We decided the higher location, drinks and dinner time were worth it .  

Dinning time is wait-listed and the drinks disappeared. 

I have emailed them.  One rep asked what phone number I booked from presumably to check recording.  That was the last I heard from them on that email.  I tried again.  I've been waiting 3 weeks for a reply. I re-mail it weekly and receive the standard "that you for choosing us, we'll get back to you soon"

When a representative of MSC tells me what is included I should not have to go back and read the fine print to discover the MSC booking agent was wrong!    

Bait and Switch?  Cheated?  Deceived?  Use whatever words you like.  Bottom line is it's not right.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CruiseLand said:

. I guess you got what you paid for. I am sure I will enjoy the port I visit but now I not sure about the cruise itself. 

I think you will enjoy the cruise. The MSC product is actually quite nice and IMO is an exceptional value. It's their customer service and inconsistent policies that so many find frustrating. 

• Like 2

I know it is NOT the rigth way to procede from MSC, but...

I am sure when checking in (they are not capable of doing it through CS before embk)  most of these issues will come to a better end. The onboard CS might have  be given the power to honour or substitute what previously offered. 

Anyone who embarks these days (as the breakpoint was March 21st I believe) please reply this post to let everyone how are they handling it.

To OP: It is common to rant after consecutive offenses, in this case from MSC, and yes capital letters is screaming in writing rules.. I can clearly see you have taken your time to breathe and replying in a different manner.

My advice: Don´t cancel the trip, ask nicely and they would solve this out onboard (saddly not before I know) and you will have a great voyage (with all pros and cons MSC has).

JP

Edited by JP Medina

It really depends on what kind of issues you have. If you wanna switch/cancel/book cruise/room/excursion, they would be able to help you. 

Anything account related, promotion related, price related, website glitch checkin issues, you will have an uphill battle to fight with the US customer service. Seems like anything that requires the Main office from Genoa is lost in translation.

Edited by thetaro

We sail on the 26th of April.  Just received our docs yesterday and they clearly state that we have 12 drink vouchers as part of the Fantastica package.  We've done close to 50 cruises but this is our first one on MSC.  From all we've read we expect it to be "different" from what we're used to.  We have four other couple that we know that have also booked this cruise and we are all looking forward to the adventure.  Definitely not a deal breaker if we don't get the vouchers as we booked Fantastica more for the cabin location.  The only negative thing about this trip is the 38 hour flight (flights and layovers) to get Zimbabwe for our safaris prior to the cruise.  Eighteen more wake ups and we fly 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Edited by geospyder

On 3/27/2019 at 3:54 AM, citizenfrank said:

Cancel. Rip up any literature, delete MSC from your browser, avoid ever sailing within 1000 mile radius of their ships and erase your memory ....same to all haters. Let open minded cruisers fill the berths & the show go on. 

There is always the "FUN"ships.👍👍

50 minutes ago, CruiseLand said:

My question is about I booked the Cirque show for 4/17 but show on my booking for 4/16. 

If it’s like it was on our Meraviglia Cruise, you will get a card in your room upon embarkation telling you to proceed to the Cirque du Soleil desk at guest services or to the Carousel lounge to select and confirm your show date. It doesn’t matter what you picked online, the show date will be confirmed onboard. On our itinerary we had new guests embarking at every port of call, so the line at the Cirque du Soleil desk was always long in the afternoon. We didn’t pre book. We waited until we got onboard and booked the shows using the MSC app right from my phone. Very easy to do and we didn’t have to stand in line to select our show time. 

Going back to the topic at hand, the problem that I see with MSC is lack of consistency. Some people have an absolutely wonderful experience, while others have a dreadful one.

Personally, our first MSC cruise was marred with glitches and snafus from the moment we booked it. The cruise itself was pretty crummy although we still had a fun time. My wife said that she would NEVER sail on MSC again. 

But we did sail on MSC again two years later on the Meraviglia and the cruise was amazing. We were thoroughly impressed. Customer service, even before the cruise, was spot on. It was a flawless and wonderful experience. That cruise operated like a well oiled machine.  

It seems to me like MSC has their act together in Europe, but they are still figuring things out in the USA, which seems to be the source of most frustration and negative experiences. 

3 minutes ago, Tapi said:

If it’s like it was on our Meraviglia Cruise, you will get a card in your room upon embarkation telling you to proceed to the Cirque du Soleil desk at guest services or to the Carousel lounge to select and confirm your show date. It doesn’t matter what you picked online, the show date will be confirmed onboard. On our itinerary we had new guests embarking at every port of call, so the line at the Cirque du Soleil desk was always long in the afternoon. We didn’t pre book. We waited until we got onboard and booked the shows using the MSC app right from my phone. Very easy to do and we didn’t have to stand in line to select our show time. 

Thank you to let me know. The reason I booked ahead because the person gave the review about Bellissima mentions booking the show as early as possible. I filled up so quickly. I just hope I can change the time on the Apps (MSC for me) after I board the ship so I don't need to wait in the long line.

1 hour ago, glittergal1 said:

So you used the main number on the website people call to book a cruise but no one answered your call? 

Correct....used the main number and when prompted, chose the option for already booked and have a question. I did however try and choose the option to book a new cruise, which not surprisingly was answered fairly quickly. I explained to the person that I couldn’t get thrown the other line, they said no problem and said the would transfer me.......click! Hung up on.

1 minute ago, pzsdd6 said:

Correct....used the main number and when prompted, chose the option for already booked and have a question. I did however try and choose the option to book a new cruise, which not surprisingly was answered fairly quickly. I explained to the person that I couldn’t get thrown the other line, they said no problem and said the would transfer me.......click! Hung up on.

HONESTLY ...I hate reading of peoples poor experiences & seemingly defending MSC like I have any financial gains, but I have NEVER EVER failed to get connected, transferred or answered first time on the MSC telephone line.

On hold no more than five minutes and always polite staff on the call.

5 minutes ago, pzsdd6 said:

I just tried calling...pressed that I knew my Voyager account number (which I think you said you were gold), after 3 minutes of being on hold (with very loud music which was annoying), someone picked up.  Try calling NOW! 

While we are all whining about MSC’s customer service, after I booked I noticed that my cruise was a “voyagers select sailing” and I am a gold card member.  Tried calling a few different times but they refuse to give me the extra 5% discount and onboard credit. 😔 This will be my 3rd cruise with them and first major issue. You’d think they’d do a better job of accommodating repeat cruisers. 

7 minutes ago, Kateann61414 said:

You’d think they’d do a better job of accommodating repeat cruisers. 

We've done 21 cruises with them in little more than 7 years - it counts for nothing onshore when attempting to get some flexibility around issues (though we've been treated really well once onboard).

FYI - Interesting update......

As I have posted earlier, our cruise was booked and paid for in complete long before MSC decided to play shady with the Fantastica drink package. This morning I completed my online web check-in. Once completed the message informed me that I would receive my e tickets 48 hours prior to sailing. Okay fine. Within 5 minutes I received an email with my attached e tickets............and right there in black and white my latest cruise documents state “12 drink coupons”!!!

Now, as just suggested to me, try the phone again, which I did, 23 minutes later I got thru. The MSC rep listened to my question about the drink coupons and my concerns. She put me on hold to check the latest with her manager. When she returned she stated that the drink coupons had been canceled with no other compensation, end of story. Despite my objections and request to speak with the manager........nothing! According to the manager, MSC has the prerogative to make any changes they deem fit at any time without compensation or explanation. I asked to see about canceling and the manager had the gall to tell me that yes I could cancel, however due to the date would forfeit my fare as per the guidelines of the contract which I entered with MSC!

• Like 1

I hate to be the bearer of even worse news but even if you do receive the vouchers, you may have a hard time using them. 😞

We just got off the Meraviglia a few days ago (March 17th-24th) and it seemed they were definitely phasing out the vouchers. They gave them to us at check in ( my husband my two teenage children) but the bartenders did not want to take them. Also, things we could get in the beginning of the week (Jameson mojito for 8.95, Red Bull, speciality coffee drinks, etc) they were saying no to later in the week. It changed  daily what the vouchers included. My son called the vouchers “monopoly money” and gave up on day 3 because he couldn’t get a drink with it. My husband and I a few times went to the bars with the kids so the bartender would acknowledge them. We almost always tipped at least a euro at that seemed to always help with service and what was included.

My guess is that they are treating the vouchers the same as the "easy package"now, meaning instead of being able to order drinks under $10 they are now only allowing you to order the drinks off the easy menu, which are very limiting and under $6. 

• Like 1

I will be that at embarkation check-in, if not on the ship, you will be able to use your printed statement of the drink tickets to get them to either give you tickets or some compensatory discount.  They tend to have a better sense of customer service at the port or on the ship.