O Life Air questions

HokiePoq

I could not find answers from searching but apologize if this has been asked recently.

What happens if your flight is late and you miss the sailing?  

I have had conflicting info on this.   The thread I did find had a quote from O's website saying O would assist you getting to your destination  Does that mean the first port?

Our TA said  it was your own responsibility to get to the first port and then use your trip insurance to compensate.

Which is correct?   Or does that mean O sees that you get to the original city but it's your problem to catch up with the ship?

Has anyone ever had that problem?   

Thanks in advance.

I have not had the problem but someone posted last year  about missing their flight to NYC  & I think Oceania helped them but they could not board until Halifax  which was part way through the cruise 

Not sure  if they went ahead & got on in Canada or not

So I guess it depends on what the next port of call is

Several years ago  my flights were EWR to Frankfort to Barcelona.

My flight to Frankfort was cancelled.

I arranged EWR to Madrid to Barcelona.

Made the cruise, Oceania reimbursed Madrid to Barcelona flight.

• Like 1

That is one of the reasons why we always pay the deviation fee and go in a day early.  We nearly missed our first cruise when our plane was delayed.  We were the last passengers to board.  I don't want to go through that stress again.

• Like 1

We pay the deviation fee and arrive one or two days before sailing, too many things can delay flights.  This past Saturday we were flying home from Las Vegas to Charlotte and our flight was delayed 7 hours, there were no alternative flights or connections available.  Fortunately we weren’t missing a ship, but we were thankful for that.  Things happen.

• Like 1

Hi HokiePoq

We are booked on the same sailing as you and have the same questions. I think those answering and suggesting arriving a day early are not aware that our cruise is leaving Miami on the Super Bowl weekend and it's pretty impossible to find a hotel room for a semi reasonable price for the night before the cruise.

We decided to take the included air assuming that if we book through Oceania we'll get some help. However our TA, just like yours, indicated that that is not the case.

Still unsure as to what to do.

• Like 1

Just now, RTLS said:

Hi HokiePoq

We are booked on the same sailing as you and have the same questions. I think those answering and suggesting arriving a day early are not aware that our cruise is leaving Miami on the Super Bowl weekend and it's pretty impossible to find a hotel room for a semi reasonable price for the night before the cruise.

We decided to take the included air assuming that if we book through Oceania we'll get some help. However our TA, just like yours, indicated that that is not the case.

book  a hotel near the airport or one with an unreasonable price 

but fly in  a day early

JMO

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I have not had the problem but someone posted last year  about missing their flight to NYC  & I think Oceania helped them but they could not board until Halifax 

IIRC, there is some law that if you do not embark in the US embarkation port you cannot embark in the next US port. For example, if the cruise starts in Miami and you miss it and the next port is Key West,you cannot embark there and you must wait to embark in next foreign port.

Is this correct?

PS I know that if there is such a US law, it Is not the case in Australia where one time we could not embark in Sydney due to a schedule conflict but were able to embark in the next port  of Brisbane.

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, Paulchili said:

IIRC, there is some law that if you do not embark in the US embarkation port you cannot embark in the next US port. For example, if the cruise starts in Miami and you miss it and the next port is Key West,you cannot embark there and you must wait to embark in next foreign port.

Is this correct?

That  was the case with the lady  it was  a NE/Canada cruise  & the next few ports were in the USA  so against the PVSA  to embark there

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

That  was the case with the lady  it was  a NE/Canada cruise  & the next few ports were in the USA  so against the PVSA  to embark there

Thank you Lyn  - that is what I thought (and why I quoted your post 🙂)

Edited by Paulchili

16 hours ago, RTLS said:

Hi HokiePoq

I am stressing about this.   Having made three failed park and cruise reservations, it is pretty clear that some third party has taken all the hotel rooms in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.  We had this happen one year our college team played in the Sugar Bowl  in New Orleans and had to book at a  inflated rate.  The third party holds the rooms until the teams are named and then soaks the fans for triple or more the regular rates.  Now I am trying to get a park and cruise reservation for the week before hoping that our car can stay at the hotel even if we don't that weekend.   Will book a seven day cruise the week before at about the cost of flying in early and paying the inflated room rate....or less.   We have never gambled on same day flights before but that is the fall back position for this cruise.  Would not have booked it had we known all the problems we would encounter.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...just wish we could take them.

Just now, HokiePoq said:

I am stressing about this.   Having made three failed park and cruise reservations, it is pretty clear that some third party has taken all the hotel rooms in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. 

If you are driving down what about  staying an hour or so from Miami then park at the port  ??

We have driven to the Hollywood area  then continued to POM in the morning

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you are driving down what about  staying an hour or so from Miami then park at the port  ??

We have driven to the Hollywood area  then continued to POM in the morning

That is one option I am working on.  Apparently all the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood hotels are taken by the third party as well.  At least that's what I found yesterday trying to make a reservation there.   Perhaps up as far north as West Palm or even St. Lucie would work with that option.  I would gladly pay to park at the port but my fear is that there would be no place to park.   Can you reserve at the port parking?   The private lots have nightmare reviews but do take reservations.   Right now I am trying to make a reservation for the previous week and if the hotel will let my car be there for Super Bowl weekend without me, may take a cruise the week before...a win win for me.....if it works.   

I am not sure if it would work during Superbowl   but  we have parked at Embassy Suites without staying there

call the hotel & ask if you can just park there

We were on a cruise during Superbowl  but we parked the  car prior  

we left it there for the month we were away

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure if it would work during Superbowl   but  we have parked at Embassy Suites without staying there

call the hotel & ask if you can just park there

We were on a cruise during Superbowl  but we parked the  car prior  

we left it there for the month we were away

Glad to hear that!  That is exactly what my first choice is now.   Have to wait until my reservation passes 24 hours to confirm it and then I can book a cruise.

Regarding Oceania help with air travel delays.  It is extremely clear in the Oceania Terms and Conditions that O is NOT responsible for third party delays and issues with air travel being done by a third party, the airline.  That said there have been reports of O in fact helping people with travel issues pre and post cruise but, they are not responsible based on their published Terms and Conditions.

For questions like this it is best to read for yourself the Terms and Conditions rather than rely on your TA or anybody else.  The problem is that that many people believe the cruise line is responsible because they have helped at times but, the disclaimer is clear in the Terms and Conditions and you may be responsible to get to the next available port to board your ship and pay the costs for that plus miss days on board and possibly ports due to different country laws.  Also keep in mind for some ports it can be difficult to get there by the time the ship arrives or possibly no available flights forcing you to miss more ports and/or sea days.

Good luck and read the T's and C's as they have your answer and not 3rd parties who may or may not have the correct answer.