Last minute Cabo advice: HAL SCUBA or The Office?

My husband and I bought HAL's "Beginner SCUBA" excursion for Cabo.  We've only snorkeled.  We thought about a snorkeling trip, but the water is cold in April, and wet suits are recommended.  I figured if I need to squeeze myself into a wet suit, I should at least give SCUBA a try.

But now a few friends have sung the praises of hanging out at The Office all day.  

We dock at 10.  The SCUBA starts at 1, and takes 3.5 hours.  We leave port at 6.  So we can't do both.

Has anyone done this particular excursion?  Done "The Office?"  We are throwing this coin into the air.  You call it!

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

I got the most dreadful case of food poisoning I have ever had at The Office.   It took me several days to get back to normal.   Probably a fluke but because of that I will never go back.   DH had traditional Mexican food for lunch and he was fine but I had a seafood cocktail and it really did me in.   If you go, be aware that they will provide a free water taxi ride back to the dock where the tenders pick you up. 

I walk  to The Office and I'm no spring chicken.  You can take water taxi.  You will get off in one or two feet of water so wear flip flops.  Carry shoes if you want to walk back.

2 hours ago, Sandscout said:

My daughter did the Beginners SCUBA excursion in Cabo while on the Eurodam in November.  She said the water was murky and rough.  She felt it was unsafe and definitely not for beginners.

Yeah- I had read that the snorkeling isn't good, but we thought maybe the SCUBA people would have some "in" place that was clear.  So I guess we'll just spend the day walking around town and holding hands.  😍

Thanks for ALL the responses!  Very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Yeah- I had read that the snorkeling isn't good, but we thought maybe the SCUBA people would have some "in" place that was clear.  So I guess we'll just spend the day walking around town and holding hands.  😍

Thanks for ALL the responses!  Very much appreciated.

We are going to take a water taxi to the arch and then to Medano beach. Going to the office or the Sandbar and just relax. You are welcome to share the water taxi with us.

Having been to The Office in November (and it was fun), I think I would choose the Scuba excursion. That being said, The Office is a restaurant with most of the seating on the beach, so your table and seating is on sand.  There is also seating in the bar area on a stone floor, mostly tables for 2-4 people.  The tables on the beach were mainly taken up by larger groups.  Most of the tables were under umbrellas due to the strong sun.  It you do get a table along the perimeter of the restaurant be prepared for a continuous line of beach vendors hawking their wares.  On the plus side, once you have your fill of The Office, you can walk to the far end of the beach and get a $20 hour beach massage.  There are various tents, but if there is a massage tent location that appeals to you, just make a bee-line for it, rather than agree to follow a massage hawker, as you may end up at a tent closer to the public/employee parking area.  The massage will be just as good, but it might lack the ambiance.

Public access to the beach is right next to The Office.  There also will be boats and drivers offering to take you on boat rides/tours.  If you hire one to be dropped off somewhere, be prepared to jump into the water and wade towards shore (think camera, cell phone, etc).   It is an adventure!

Be careful not to fall for getting 'set up in a (very nice) beach cabana', only to realize that it is a timeshare spiel.

(If you do plan to eat local, make sure you bring prescription meds for any traveler's diarrhea - just call your MD's office and ask for a prescription for your vacation).

• Like 1

The Office is laid back and totally relaxing or whatever you want it to be.  Easy to walk to.  Go all around the harbor (a horseshoe) and up the hill.  Ask along the way.  Food is good.  It's a great place to hang out and I LOVE A GOOD BAR with bar food!

• Like 1

We took a Pedicab to The Office last week and it was $10 plus tip. After scouting out the Office, we decided to go next door to Mango Deck as they had beach lounge chairs and umbrellas. We found the food and drinks were good and the service excellent. They do bait and switch a bit on the drinks so be careful what you agree to as the menu prices are with the cheaper liquor. Beer is safe and they have 2 for 1 and 5 bottle deals. The tableside made Guacamole was really good as was the Ceviche. We were there all day and lunch and drink cost us about $100 but it was worthwhile.

You will have the numerous beach vendors hassling you all day selling their wares. They are pretty relentless.

Nothing against the Office but it seems more of a sit down restaurant where Mango is better suited for kicking back on the beach.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DisselRods said:

We are going to take a water taxi to the arch and then to Medano beach. Going to the office or the Sandbar and just relax. You are welcome to share the water taxi with us.

Yes!  We are winging it!  Did you decide not to fish Cabo, either?  The timing is just wrong (10 am arrival, 6 pm departure).   My husband is sad because everyone keeps asking him "why he isn't fishing in Cabo?!?"  I think "we'll" have to do a separate trip of golf/fishing with my dad and my boys.  "We'll" because I probably won't be invited.  🤣

I have been to the office so many times. First started going there in the nineties on our first trip ever to Cabo San Lucas. It was always a fun time and it's a great party place. If you just want to fun relaxing place with some decent food with some toes in the sand type of atmosphere you'll love it. Are there Beach vendors? Of course they're everywhere in Mexico. Just say no gracias and then we'll move on. It's part of the fun. You might even enjoy shopping for some trinkets for somebody's birthday or upcoming holidays. As first scuba or snuba I would save that for Hawaii or the Caribbean where the waters are much better for snorkeling. My husband did that in both Cabo and in Hawaii much enjoyed it better in Hawaii. Frank Lee Cabo is so Americanized now that it's not my favorite stop along the Mexican Riviera. Puerto Vallarta is the one that is the best in my opinion.

12 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Yes!  We are winging it!  Did you decide not to fish Cabo, either?  The timing is just wrong (10 am arrival, 6 pm departure).   My husband is sad because everyone keeps asking him "why he isn't fishing in Cabo?!?"  I think "we'll" have to do a separate trip of golf/fishing with my dad and my boys.  "We'll" because I probably won't be invited.  🤣

The fishing in Cabo is hit and miss in April. Not the prime time of the year to fish there. 

• Like 1