On board Wind Spirit now...I am SOLD on Windstar

Cruiseaddict1971

We are about half way through our cruise and I am completely happy with everything about Windstar. I think this is my 39th cruise (have cruised Carnival, Celebrity, Holland, NCL, Disney, RC, Princess) and this may be my new favorite line.

Normally I wouldn't cruise without a balcony but I love this little cabin so much that I don't miss it all that much. We have cruised previously in the smallest inside cabin and the largest cabin (Garden Villa@6000 SF) but I am just smitten with this porthole cabin. The ship is small enough that it is so easy to go out for air. 

The service is top notch. I have had butlers before and this service is so personal and immediate its very similar to butler service. 

The food is the best of any line I have sailed. It is like specialty restaurant dining but at every meal. Everything, I mean everything, is delicious and of best quality. It seems they spare no expense on their food budget. And it is cooked perfectly. Last nights grilled lobster under the stars was amazing and I am not the biggest lobster fan. 

Maybe Im just under a Tahitian spell as this is a magical experience, but I mentioned yesterday that perhaps we should cancel one of our upcoming cruises and rebook on Windstar. 

Cabin 238 is quiet and a decent location. Perhaps a bit more toward the back would be better. And I think next time I would like to be on the lower deck to have a perspective of the water line being even closer. 

The drift snorkel on Raiatea was ridiculously fun. I did it three times and could have done it all day if time permitted. Just breathtaking. Not as many fish as we saw in Fiji but the experience was more fun here as you literally feel like a glider plane in the water with the current pushing you effortlessly past fish and corals. 

Our precruise hotel at Manava Resort  (took ferry to Moorea) was ok. It served as a good prenight hotel but it was definitely worth taking the ferry to Moorea as we rented a car and spent the day exploring this magnificent island. Lunch at Snack Mahana is great! Delicious fish burger. 

Sorry this is all over the place chronologically but it's 5am and I'm doing this on my phone (t mobile has free texting and data in French Polynesia by the way). Just waiting to get up for a Latte and eggs Benedict followed by a lazy day and what I am sure is going to be a brilliant day at the motu bbq. What a nice Easter treat! 

We initially were booked on Paul Guagin but switched to Windstar. While I am sure the other line is also good, I am so happy with our decision as I now may have found the line that just feels like a perfect fit. Our next cruise is MSC Mediterranean in Yacht Club and that should also be a good experience. I guess that is what would define this cruise...an experience. Not just another cruise (don't take that the wrong way as I am grateful for my travel opportunities).  

For reference I am 48 and my wife is 59 and from Orange County CA. We seem to be the average age demographic with some older and some younger. There are no children under teenage years on board that I've seen. 

First review I've ever done while still in a cruise I think. My previous logon isn't working but I've been on cruise critic for about 20 years (when it was first created). 

5 out of 5 Stars and a net promoter from someone who appreciates quality over quantity with a bit of luxury thrown in. While I want to tell everyone, selfishly I feel like I found a secret vacation option that I want to keep to myself. 

• Like 3

Thank you for the perfect post for me this morning! I am researching excursions today for our July 7th trip on the Wind Spirit. I love the idea of a drift snorkel. I have some questions for you.  Who did you book with? What other excursions are you doing? Thanks for your help and so glad you are having a fantastic trip! Janet

4 hours ago, Cruiseaddict1971 said:

5 out of 5 Stars and a net promoter from someone who appreciates quality over quantity with a bit of luxury thrown in. While I want to tell everyone, selfishly I feel like I found a secret vacation option that I want to keep to myself. 

Oh boy you sound just like me from the same cruise in December. And like most everyone who posts here about Wind Spirit! It boggles the mind that anything could be so perfect. You expect FP to be heaven on earth. But what you don't expect is to be completely gaga over a ship and cruise line along with it. You get on board and it's a big OMG from start to finish.

Loved the drift snorkel in Raiatea/Tahaa too! And if you like to drift snorkel you might like that in Rangiroa- different- more open ocean. Not the vast numbers of fish but quite an experience.

Can live vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing your experience- can't wait for more!

3 hours ago, SeaThe World said:

Thank you for the perfect post for me this morning! I am researching excursions today for our July 7th trip on the Wind Spirit. I love the idea of a drift snorkel. I have some questions for you.  Who did you book with? What other excursions are you doing? Thanks for your help and so glad you are having a fantastic trip! Janet

Sorry to interject but I still feel like I'm bubbling over with excitement from our Wind Spirit17 day December cruise. We did the Coral gardens drift snorkel twice, once with the ship and once with Le Excursion Bleau. They were both terrific. If you'd like to look I'm attaching a link to my Wind Spirit review. Have a wonderful time and be sure to post LOTS when you return.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=641857

Today we were on the private island that Windstar rents for the BBQ. Absolutely beautiful with some surprisingly good snorkeling. They brought the kayaks and paddle boards from the ship to shore for guests to use.  We spent several hours on the island and came back for a shower, some reading and perhaps an hour nap. Lovely day! 

BBQ consisted of burgers and dogs, various salads, paella, grilled fish and other things. Deserts as good as always. Nice pineapple upside down cake. 

The drift snorkel company was Arii Moana. I would recommend them. Think it was $150/person. Includes vanilla farm and pearl farm visits (interesting but I would have been fine without visiting them). 

The weather forecast before we left was daunting with thunderstorms predicted for each day, however, the first two full days were beautifully sunny days. Today was overcast but no rain yet (430 pm) and it was actually pretty nice to sit up on deck reading and not get too hot from the sun. 

Grabbed a couple of still warm scones and some iced tea from the coffee shop on the way to the room to lie down. Delish. 

Tonights menu lists some some lamb chops that I will likely order but the mussels in wine sauce sound pretty tasty also. Oh, the eggs benedict from breakfast were perfect! There is a menu in the table that you can order from if you don't see items on the buffet that appeal (they will appeal. Lol). The almond croissant. Oh my how I will miss you!! I must have an extra each day just in case.

I lost 27 pounds this year to reach my target weight and will have to return to my Whole 30 diet when I get home. I've probably gained 5 pounds in 3 days. Ha! Just may have to adjust the diet to 60 days rather than 30. Worth it. 

Captain in just announced that Bora Bora weather tomorrow is A-OK. Yippee. 

• Like 1

I could not agree more.   French Polynesia is magical, and Windstar and Windspirit are my two favorite ships.  They are just fantastic.  

Windstar Cruises is not for everyone, but if it is your cup of tea is fantastic.  Enjoy Bora Bora and the rest of your trip.

All the best.  

• Like 1

So glad you're having a great time. Tahiti is absolutely the destination that the Spirit was build for. My favorite destination.

Tell us know about T-Mobile service - French Polynesia is not (or was not) on the Simple Choice plan, the only destination we've been where it wasn't. Are you on some other plan?

1 hour ago, milepig said:

Tell us know about T-Mobile service - French Polynesia is not (or was not) on the Simple Choice plan, the only destination we've been where it wasn't. Are you on some other plan?

I have used T-mobile in Tahiti as far back as 2005 (including data, but back then it was very limited).  I am wondering if it is your plan or phone that has the issue.  I am going there in exactly one month.

I travel internationally a lot (out of the country up to 3 months per year)- I am mostly withT-mobile.  I have also tried Sprint.   They both have great international coverage for "free" .

46 minutes ago, msears101 said:

I have used T-mobile in Tahiti as far back as 2005 (including data, but back then it was very limited).  I am wondering if it is your plan or phone that has the issue.  I am going there in exactly one month.

I travel internationally a lot (out of the country up to 3 months per year)- I am mostly withT-mobile.  I have also tried Sprint.   They both have great international coverage for "free" .

Well, FP is now included:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming?country=French Polynesia

I swear it wasn't when I checked back in the fall and even chatted with T-Mob to confirm. But other reports have it going much further back.  In any case T-Mobile customers are currently covered with the ONE and Simple Choice plans.  I paid for the stupid WS wifi back in the back that I could have avoid had I know, so I'm triple sure I  checked at that point and I wasn't. Water over the dam, we're currently covered.

46 minutes ago, msears101 said:

I said hello to Danielle for you. She was a bit surprised!

Today in Bora Bora we did Moana Tours jet ski tour, lunch, rays/sharks. I think it was $450/couple. Ridiculously amazing. The jet ski portion was super fun, lunch was a bit touristy feeling, first snorkel stop was just OK as the moth yesterday seemed to have better snorkeling...but then! The first shark stop was cool but the second...we'll let me just say it was out of this world. Best excursion I've ever done. Memories that will last a lifetime. 

The excursion was from 0930-400. A long day and just amazing. 

The strong water pressure and instant hot water makes for a great shower. The verbena Loccitane that are replenished when low fill the room with lemon goodness that is so relaxing. The shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bath gel are each 2.5 ounce bottles and accompany matching bar soap. The included mini bar sodas have been replenished upon consumption and extras of the club soda and Diet Coke were left when Ady noticed that this is what we have been drinking. I don't drink but my wife's wine that she brought was also placed in the fridge by Ady to cool. Very thoughtful. 

This cruise just just gets better and better. Had a scone with clotted cream and now for a bit of a nap or a movie. There are a few channels with different current movies being looped on them. We also picked up a couple movies this week from the front desk. We aren't missing the normal shows in the evening on larger ships. We've been in bed by 10 due long days. Bed is super comfy. 

Still an an absolutely flawless experience. I am feeling that there is great value for the money spent with Windstar. Fellow guests are lovely and have also been complimentary of the yacht size and service received on-board. 

• Like 2

Thank you for all the info you are posting, Cruiseaddict1971! I have a question for you. Bora Bora is an overnight stay so I am wondering which day is best to schedule excursions? I'd like some time to use the kayaks off the back of the boat and planned on going to their Motu event also but I don't know which day in Bora Bora that will be. 

@Cruiseaddict - I just wanted to thank you for writing this very interesting view of Windstar from fresh and unjaded eyes. So many of us have been with WS so long that we've forgotten that first impression of "oh, this really is different, and we like it." For example, they've been using L'Occitane for decades, the brand has really gone out of fashion, and I'd forgotten how impressed the first time we saw they used it. I'd actually like them to change to something a bit more upscale, but it is certainly a good solid product and I'm glad you're appreciative. 

I must say that I've never seen scones with clotted creme on WS - tell us more!

We've also had Ady, and he's great - we were in the same part of the ship, so I guess they work the same areas each itin. The staff has always seemed to have ESP - they seem to know when we've left the cabin, even when we see no one when leaving, and it's magically made up when we return.

• Like 1

Cruiseaddict-

Thanks for saying hi to Danielle- I was hoping that she was having a good time with her banged up ankle.

Also thanks so much for your great reviews and updates on the cruise! It's like we are all there with you.

Cheers!

Tim

Great reading thank you. Relived memories. We LOVED this cruise. We were on the very first back. It was glorious. I adored the lagoon sailing and visuals. We also crossed the Pacific  with the Spirit and continued with the first back cruise. WS did it right. I have recommended this cruise many, many times happy friends. Can’t imagine visiting Tahiti any other way. Happy Sailing one and all. 

Last night I asked if there were any cancellations for Candles (al fresco dining) so we could eat there again (Maitre D suggested previously to check) but there were none. Matte D took our three cabin numbers and said he would see if anything opens on the last night. We went to the main dining room and  I ordered the tuna and it was again cooked, like everything, cooked perfectly. Seared but pink inside. I also ordered the mussels but asked for them as an appetizer portion instead. For desert the fudge chocolate cake with a glass of milk (wife and friend had cappuccino) and that was delish! 

The scones are under glass at the little coffee shop and you have to ask for the clotted cream as it is in the refrigerator. Clotted cream was fresh and buttery smooth. Is your mouth watering? 🙂

another great nights sleep. Went to bed at 10 and slept until 530 (now). Feel so relaxed and refreshed. I was afraid the itinerary would be too busy but it isn't. It IS however too short. Petunia got it right with her (yes, I am jealous) 17 days. I'm at the point in the cruise where I wish I could Genie 3 more days added on. Oh how I don't want to leave. Lol. 

Yesterday, Bora Bora day 1, the water platform was down and all of the toys were in the water. Today is the island bbq. We received notice that our catamaran will depart at 445pm to the island for the evening festivities. Not sure what the rest of the day holds yet. The ladies plan to go shopping. 

I don't mean to sound so gushing about this trip but usually (after having done so many cruises) I am good with a cruise while I am on it and then when I look back I appreciate it more. For this one, I am appreciative as it is happening and said countless times 'oh my gosh I love this ship and I love Windstar'. 

I am am glad we are in yacht club on our MSC cruise this fall as it only has a couple hundred folks in that section. Perhaps that is the reason so many also love MSC yacht club is the smaller (and more personal and intimate) feeling. We are then cruising in Celebrity from Sydney in early January for 10 days. The Celebrtiy cruise may be the decision maker. Back to a traditional one size fits all cruise experience. I am already wondering if I will be missing this smaller experience. Or perhaps it will be nice to go back and forth (God willing that to be the case if course).

But for now, I am grateful for the opportunity to work very hard to have experiences like this. The memories being made now are forever and it is worth the saving and little cutbacks we make in our daily lives to be able to do this. I won't be on my deathbed saying "I wish I bought a Tesla instead of a Prius" but I may be saying "remember when we swam with the sharks in Bora Bora?".  

• Like 3

We also love Windstar, started causing with them in 2016 Athens to Istanbul, 2017 French Polynesia and 2018 a Baltic cruise. This summer Venice to Rome on the Windstar! I love their food and service. In the Fall and Winter we sometimes cruise on Uniworld in Europe.

Second seating

13 hours ago, Second seating said:

We also love Windstar, started causing with them in 2016 Athens to Istanbul, 2017 French Polynesia and 2018 a Baltic cruise. This summer Venice to Rome on the Windstar! I love their food and service. In the Fall and Winter we sometimes cruise on Uniworld in Europe.

Second seating

They did a few Istanbul cruises on windstar in 2016. I was supposed to do on in August, but we did Athens to Athens.  Although I would have preferred to the original Itinerary from Istanbul to Athens.  Windstar did an excellent job communicating and whipping a great replacement itinerary and offering options and incentives to compensate us.  I know not everyone was happy, but under the circumstances, it is another way that Windstar shines.

1 hour ago, Second seating said:

I checked back and it was 2015 we were in Istanbul we missed the bombings there by a year and a day!

Second seating

2015 sounds about right for us as well, although we also did a non-cruise trip as well both around the same time.  Istanbul is one of my favorite places anywhere and I would go back in a heartbeat. We have a hotel we like on the new side that has panoramic views of the new city and the Bosporus, and we actually got the see one of the WS ships cruising into port - amazing. We'd sit out on our terrace each morning and evening and hear all the calls to prayer echoing from the Old City. I miss Istanbul and must go back, soon. So, yet, it's a shame WS isn't going there at the moment.

We had a similar great experience on our first Windstar cruise aboard Star Pride last summer ... but Norway and Iceland rather than South Sea climes. We adored the ship and the cruiseline, so much superior to previous experiences aboard Regent and Silversea.

Cruising this summer to Alaska on Windstar's Star Legend. Bringing along two friends from NYC. We are all jazzed.

Yet, sad to learn Windstar is renovating the Star ships by inserting a buildout for more cabins. We greatly prefer the current size and ambiance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

milepig, we will be on the Legend Oct 2020, Athens to Athens,  with Ephesus and overnight in Istanbul.  This is our first time in Turkey, and we are truly excited about this cruise.

You may not be able to fit this in, but just in case this is hands down the best tour I've even done:

https://culinarybackstreets.com/tours-food-tours/tours-istanbul/2016/two-markets-two-continents/#more-13048

If you dock where we did at the close in terminal, you'll be east walking distance from where this begins and ends.

But there is so much else to see.

6 minutes ago, milepig said:

You may not be able to fit this in, but just in case this is hands down the best tour I've even done:

https://culinarybackstreets.com/tours-food-tours/tours-istanbul/2016/two-markets-two-continents/#more-13048

If you dock where we did at the close in terminal, you'll be east walking distance from where this begins and ends.

But there is so much else to see.

Oh my.... that is SO up our alley!  Bookmarked, and notation on the spreadsheet already done.  Many thanks! 

One good turn deserves another... so in case you will be stopping in Barcelona sometime in the future, I will share the best wine & tapas tour in the area: https://www.wineventuresbarcelona.com/ 

11 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Oh my.... that is SO up our alley!  Bookmarked, and notation on the spreadsheet already done.  Many thanks! 

One good turn deserves another... so in case you will be stopping in Barcelona sometime in the future, I will share the best wine & tapas tour in the area: https://www.wineventuresbarcelona.com/ 

I'll top you. This was the second best things we've ever done:

https://www.barcelonaslowtravel.com/experiences/private-cooking-class-barcelona/

You buy stuff in the market and then go to their home to cook it.  It's billed as 4.5 hours but they must have liked out group as we were there much long and they opened many bottles of wine. We left full and essentially drunk.

And then there were Xavi and Niko:

https://www.eatwith.com/events/47417?date=2019-04-26

This is a dinner, in an industrial loft (we weren't sure we were in the right place. Out dinner was a different theme "A walk in the forest" but it was unforgettable. A very fun group that trended younger, a lot of walking off to sit by yourself for awhile, having a smoke, come back to eat some more - very Barcelona approach to dinner.

• Like 1