Queen Mary 2

Sue2403

3 hours ago, Sue2403 said:

Has anyone experience of staterooms 10018 and 10023 on the QM2 as I notice they are classified as connecting cabins.  I am wondering whether there is any impact either positive or negative.

In the distant past, friends had one as a GAR, the door was annoying, and how can one put this?  

You may hear them talking, therefore they may hear you.  

They asked to move and paid, luckily the ship was not sailing full.

If you encounter any problems contact your housekeeping 'deck supervisor' immediately  ( don't waste time talking to your cabin steward) The housekeeping maintenance will fix up a 'sort of  heavy duty' sound proof covering over the connecting door. It is very effective in keeping out any sound and blends in with the neutral  colour of the cabin.  

I've had a couple of  staterooms with a connecting door and encountered no problems  , only on one occasion when the elderly occupants next door  who had their TV on almost throughout the night. Housekeeping rectified the situation immediately with the sound proof covering /curtain. 

4 hours ago, Sue2403 said:

Has anyone experience of staterooms 10018 and 10023 on the QM2 as I notice they are classified as connecting cabins.  I am wondering whether there is any impact either positive or negative.

We have had staterooms with connecting doors on Deck 10 and also Deck 9. I had concerns when I booked these, but there was no problem. We heard hardly anything from the adjacent rooms.

One time there was an afternoon reception in the adjacent room and we heard laughter. We hosted a reception  a few days later and I assume our neighbours heard laughter from us.

I have met some people who had a lot of noise issues from their neighbours and, as Bell Boy said, housekeeping fixed the problem.

We always avoid connecting cabins as we have had issues in the dim and distant past with noise from next door. If unavoidable, it’s good to know there is a solution.

Having said that, we have been disturbed by loud voices and TV in non connecting cabins too, when there is nothing to be done if the occupants are very deaf.

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

If you encounter any problems contact your housekeeping 'deck supervisor' immediately  ( don't waste time talking to your cabin steward) The housekeeping maintenance will fix up a 'sort of  heavy duty' sound proof covering over the connecting door. It is very effective in keeping out any sound and blends in with the neutral  colour of the cabin.  

I've had a couple of  staterooms with a connecting door and encountered no problems  , only on one occasion when the elderly occupants next door  who had their TV on almost throughout the night. Housekeeping rectified the situation immediately with the sound proof covering /curtain. 

I didn't know there was anything they could do about the sound through the door. Good to know!

We were on deck 8 with a connecting cabin and it was possible to clearly hear what was being said and even after getting the soundproof curtain you were definitely aware if people were talking, watching tv or moving around. Husband gets quite stroppy at noise and after lots of banging around himself building an impractical suitcase "wall" discovered that forcing his socks all the way round the gap in the door & then replacing the soundproof curtain had the desired result!

4 hours ago, wenlyn said:

We were on deck 8 with a connecting cabin and it was possible to clearly hear what was being said and even after getting the soundproof curtain you were definitely aware if people were talking, watching tv or moving around. Husband gets quite stroppy at noise and after lots of banging around himself building an impractical suitcase "wall" discovered that forcing his socks all the way round the gap in the door & then replacing the soundproof curtain had the desired result!

Well you must have exceptional hearing . I don't know how you could stuff socks around around any gaps ( that are not even there ?)  and then replace the heavy duty curtain that had been fixed up by maintenance.. 

I am fairly sure we once had 10023, as that was all that was available. It was not a problem on that cruise, just the odd sound was noticed, but would hate to think what it would be like if there were TV addicts in the adjoining cabin who were hard of hearing!

That is the only time we have had a connecting room, and would not book one if others were available. For a family, in any part of the ship, they are perfect.

4 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Well you must have exceptional hearing . I don't know how you could stuff socks around around any gaps ( that are not even there ?)  and then replace the heavy duty curtain that had been fixed up by maintenance.. 

The curtain was a magnetic one and he honestly managed to squeeze stretched out socks in all the way round! He can be very focussed if a noise bothers him 😁He's also fixed rattley balcony gates  in the past - I think its the builder in him. I'm far less sensitive to noise - possibly cos I had children so got used to blanking out noise that I didn't need to react to  😂

We had 11031 on a crossing, and until we were most of the way across I suspected that the adjacent stateroom was empty. Sometimes you get lucky in who your neighbors. Usually I opt not to have an adjoining room, though.