Old San Juan self guided walking tour

Timid Traveller

Our cruise ship will be in San Juan next April. I had planned a walking route to a few of the attraction that we missed last time we were there. My questions are to do with SAFETY as I will be walking with my two sisters. After viewing some maps online it looks like there is

1) a shortcut connecting Calle Recinto Sur to Calle Tetuan

2) a long walkway area connecting Calle Tetuan to Calle Cristo

I cannot seem to find photos or information on these areas. Can anyone describe these two areas for me? Are these areas usually busy with tourists?

Another area that I would like to see is the quaint looking areas of CALETA de las MONJAS and CALETA de San Juan. Should we have any safety concerns in these areas? Any information would be appreciated. 

If you can find it (we did, by accident)

there's a small Maritime? Museum hidden away somewhere in OSJ

- it boasts the world's largest collection of ships' life-rings

like the one shown in the photo below.

Fairly sure it was on one of the cross-streets,

not on one of the streets that goes uphill/downhill from the docking area

It's worth a stop -if you can find it!

Maybe someone can come up with a street name

but I couldn't tell you exactly Where!

Victory-261.jpg

11 hours ago, Timid Traveller said:

Our cruise ship will be in San Juan next April. I had planned a walking route to a few of the attraction that we missed last time we were there. My questions are to do with SAFETY as I will be walking with my two sisters. After viewing some maps online it looks like there is

1) a shortcut connecting Calle Recinto Sur to Calle Tetuan

2) a long walkway area connecting Calle Tetuan to Calle Cristo

I cannot seem to find photos or information on these areas. Can anyone describe these two areas for me? Are these areas usually busy with tourists?

Another area that I would like to see is the quaint looking areas of CALETA de las MONJAS and CALETA de San Juan. Should we have any safety concerns in these areas? Any information would be appreciated. 

Each time we have been in Old San Juan we walk around the entire city. There are a lot of tourists out doing the same thing. There is also a free trolley that drives around that you can hop on if you get too tired. 

We usually walk from on fort to the next and stop at a few stores and restaurants. On Sundays one of the forts is always filled with locals flying kites and having picnics. 

Old San Juan is an amazing city to walk.  We've never felt unsafe in any of the areas we've ventured.  Lots of info online on where to go and what to see depending upon your tastes.  If you are so inclined, there is a free shuttle / tram that runs a loop through the city.  Very easy to get on and off at your leisure and can be very welcome in the tropical heat.  We've found its easiest to take the tram to the top of the hill, get off and walk our way downhill to the port area. 

Thank you everyone for all of your good information and help. I have used google maps but they don't really show you the pedestrian paths very clearly. However, I have put my investigative skills to work and think I have a better idea of what to expect thanks to all the travellers that have posted wonderful photos online. Thanks for your reassurances as to the safe feeling environment. Here are the areas that I was concerned about with some new found photos. I don't think that I needed to worry (I know I will still need to be aware of my surroundings as is the norm). If I've identified the spots correctly, I hope they can help someone else. 

IMG_9100.PNG

IMG_8685.PNG

IMG_9083.PNG

IMG_9102.PNG

IMG_9101.PNG

IMG_9099.PNG

IMG_8947.PNG

IMG_8946.PNG

IMG_8965.PNG

IMG_8963.PNG

The pedestrian paths are the sidewalks.  Other than the path that goes around to San Juan gate.  But for all of the map you found, it's just sidewalks.  

And traffic is really slow, so there's no danger walking on the sidewalks.