11 Years Old and Kid's Club sign in and out

Marauder40

First cruise ever coming up with my family.  We have an 11 year old boy and a 15 year old girl.  Not sure about other cruise lines, but on Carnival parents have the option of letting their 11 year kids sign them self in and out of the Kid's club or not allow them to.  It is my understanding that occasionally the Kid's Club will have scavenger hunts around the ship and if the kid isn't allowed to sign them self in and out of the club they have to stay in the club and do something other then the scavenger hunt.

My wife is concerned about letting him go wherever he wants, more for safety reasons then anything.  What is other's experience with this?  We are considering giving him permission to sign himself in and out but telling him that he is only allowed to do it for something like the scavenger hunts.

My son is already nervous enough about being in the group he is in because he would be the oldest of his age group within Carnival and if he can't sign himself in and out he will think he is being treated like a baby.

1 minute ago, Marauder40 said:

First cruise ever coming up with my family.  We have an 11 year old boy and a 15 year old girl.  Not sure about other cruise lines, but on Carnival parents have the option of letting their 11 year kids sign them self in and out of the Kid's club or not allow them to.  It is my understanding that occasionally the Kid's Club will have scavenger hunts around the ship and if the kid isn't allowed to sign them self in and out of the club they have to stay in the club and do something other then the scavenger hunt.

My wife is concerned about letting him go wherever he wants, more for safety reasons then anything.  What is other's experience with this?  We are considering giving him permission to sign himself in and out but telling him that he is only allowed to do it for something like the scavenger hunts.

My son is already nervous enough about being in the group he is in because he would be the oldest of his age group within Carnival and if he can't sign himself in and out he will think he is being treated like a baby.

Good question. That is entirely up to you all. You can allow your child to sign himself in and out to return to the cabin or go to scavenger hunts. If your son has a phone or an iPod request of him to chat (text) you (with the Hub app which is free, but costs a nominal $5 to chat (text)) when he is leaving and where he will be going. This will ease your concerns as you can always meet up with him before he leaves. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

Also, if I recall correctly when I was 11 years old in Camp Carnival (I am a teen now), they made you write down EXACTLY where you were going and when you were going to be back. 

P.S. It would make your son look "cool" if he had a phone and texted you, lol!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Also, if I recall correctly when I was 11 years old in Camp Carnival (I am a teen now), they made you write down EXACTLY where you were going and when you were going to be back. 

P.S. It would make your son look "cool" if he had a phone and texted you, lol!

I realize that the type of kids varies cruise to cruise, but what was your experience as an 11 year old.  Were there several kids your age or were you the only one or what?  

How about your experience as a teen?  My 15 year old thinks she will be bored in the teen areas.  She tends to be shy and not real good at making friends.

P.S. My son is trying to get use of my daughter's old Ipod now that she has an iPhone.  Maybe this will be the excuse he needs to really get it.

Edited by Marauder40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder40 said:

but what was your experience as an 11 year old

Well when I was 11 I did not have a problem with the kids per se. However, I did have a problem with the counselor who made me feel bad, and I checked myself out of the camp for that day. Fortunately, my friend decided to check himself out too and hang out with me to make me feel better. So as far as friends, I have had positive experiences. In the teens club, I had no problem making friends. I like to hang with younger kids (1 to 2 years younger) so being the oldest in my group was cool. Your daughter will find friends no matter what type she is, though it will be easier for her to find friends if she is an extrovert.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder40 said:

shy and not real good at making friends

I like that you mention this. There is this common stereotype that all teens are rambunctius and noisy troublemakers who annoy adults. Okay, while some of that's true, lol, I do think it is unfair to categorize all of us like that. Frankly, I may be the only teen on here, and even I am getting hate! I have trouble making friends, but once I do, I click well with them. I still have this kid's number who I still play online video games with to this day. 

• Like 1

Thank you staying around even though you get hate.  Even though I am a new member, I apologize for all those that might do that just because of your age.  I really appreciate your help.  

The last time we took my daughter on a big trip (beyond Disney and beach trips) was when she was 12 and we went to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic.  They just had two clubs, a teen club and a kid club.  She was to young for the teen club, they wouldn't even let her use it and based on the type of stuff they had and the people attending she was way to old for the kid club, there were only two other kids near her age in the resort and there was a language barrier with them, so she had to be with us the entire trip.  I am hoping things will be a lot better for her on this trip.

1 minute ago, Marauder40 said:

Thank you staying around even though you get hate.  Even though I am a new member, I apologize for all those that might do that just because of your age.  I really appreciate your help. 

No problem. This forum is excellent for me as it teaches me essential life lessons-like people complain way too much, and some people don't want others around, lol! 

2 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

I am hoping things will be a lot better for her on this trip.

Definitely! Your 15-year-old will be in ClubO2 and will be the youngest. You won't have to worry about a language barrier on this cruise! Don't worry I will be going on my 8th cruise in August, and not once have I ever experienced a language barrier.

• Like 2

Thanks again for your help.  I may be asking you a few more questions after this weekend, and those questions would be based on their questions.  This weekend is when we will officially be telling both kids what we picked for the vacation.  We have had the trip booked for a few weeks, but haven't told them yet.

13 minutes ago, Marauder40 said:

Thanks again for your help.  I may be asking you a few more questions after this weekend, and those questions would be based on their questions.  This weekend is when we will officially be telling both kids what we picked for the vacation.  We have had the trip booked for a few weeks, but haven't told them yet.

May I suggest that you surprise them the day of the cruise? That would really make it a  moment they'll never forget!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

May I suggest that you surprise them the day of the cruise? That would really make it a  moment they'll never forget!

We thought about that but my parents almost let it slip twice with them and they will be watching them this weekend while my wife and I go to a wedding.  We figure it will better coming from us then if my parents let it slip.  One set of grandparents just got back from a cruise and the other set is getting ready to go on one and they have both slipped and said "You will be going on one soon" but we were able to distract them by adding in the word "maybe" to what they said.

Depending on what version ipod he has, you can do anything on it a phone does, except make calls.  And he wouldn't be doing that anyway.  I have a relatively new ipod touch and it always amuses me when it dings when texts come in.  I just downloaded the Carnival Hub App to it.  And you can use it as a camera, just like the iphone, although the picture quality may not be as good.  But an 11 y/o probably won't care.  EM

• Like 1

Give the "almost teen" some freedom.  Discuss his RULES with him.  He can leave the club and come find you (you will tell him where you'll be) and then you can discuss his next activity and where you'll be so he can find you again.  Lordy...you're trying to raise a responsible adult....not to keep him swaddled forever!  If he should go against the rules, you can always take away some freedom.  I'm betting he'll be great and responsible!  I don't think kids should be allowed to roam aimlessly...but allowing them to come and go on YOUR terms is fine.

At some point, you have to let kids figure out stuff for themselves....that's how adults are made.  No bubble-wrapped kids!!!

• Like 2

We let my 10 year old sign herself in and out on our last cruise.  It was great.  She didn't spend much time in the kids club during the day, but if she went at night she was allowed to sign herself out at 10 when it closed and come down and meet us.  We'd tell her where we would be, and she would be there at the right time, generally with her evening snack in her hand.  It was a great place to give her a little bit of freedom.

• Thanks 1