FYI: Allow 2 hrs at Orlando (MCO) for ticketing/TSA

nelblu

TSA is introducing "enhanced passenger security screening procedures" and  are advising passenngers to allow at a minimum 2 hours for the process.  Does not affect TSA Pre.

Here's the link:

https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2019/04/24/orlando-intl-airport-effective-immediately-allow-at-least-2-hours-for-ticketing-tsa-screening/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=BA_Email_May0119

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

TSA is introducing "enhanced passenger security screening procedures" and  are advising passenngers to allow at a minimum 2 hours for the process.  Does not affect TSA Pre.

Here's the link:

https://yourmileagemayvary.net/2019/04/24/orlando-intl-airport-effective-immediately-allow-at-least-2-hours-for-ticketing-tsa-screening/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=BA_Email_May0119

Hmm...  I would say then that, on days that people flying home from cruises, they should allow no less than 3 hours early, since 2 hours would be the time for "normal" days...  And the naive tourists unaware of this or unfamiliar with airport TSA procedures are going to bottle it up even more.  And with the lack of necessary staffing by TSA, it will take even longer.   Good thing I've got GE and KNOW how to pack for the "blue Smurfs."  

On 5/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, slidergirl said:

Hmm...  I would say then that, on days that people flying home from cruises, they should allow no less than 3 hours early, since 2 hours would be the time for "normal" days...  And the naive tourists unaware of this or unfamiliar with airport TSA procedures are going to bottle it up even more.  And with the lack of necessary staffing by TSA, it will take even longer.   Good thing I've got GE and KNOW how to pack for the "blue Smurfs."  

We just returned from a cruise on the Breeze Saturday.  The shuttle dropped us off at MCO at 8:50 a.m. and we were sitting at our gate at 9:35 a.m.  Also, we both took turns using the restroom before going through security.  There were several other cruises returning that day as well.  Granted, we arrived at the airport early and it may have been busier later, but it wasn't bad.  We have had to do many of the things listed in the article for our last few flights.  It was something that actually started at least a year ago.

Edited by Lee Cruiser

5 hours ago, jdechter said:

do these procedures apply to Pre TSA? I just got an enhanced drivers license in my state.

I thought the enhanced driver's license has nothing to do with the TSA Pre-Check security process; it is merely a proof of identity/citizenship.  If you want to get through security faster with TSA Pre-Check it will still cost you a fee.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, capriccio said:

I thought the enhanced driver's license has nothing to do with the TSA Pre-Check security process; it is merely a proof of identity/citizenship.  If you want to get through security faster with TSA Pre-Check it will still cost you a fee.

You are Correct, as a resident of a border state, I can confirm Enhanced Drivers Licenses have nothing to do with TSA PreCheck.  

PreCheck is Department of Homeland Security program that costs $85 for a 5 year period.  You have to go through screening, background check and submit your fingerprints to apply and it probably takes about 2-4 weeks for approval, assuming there is nothing in your background to exclude you.  By the Way - the best $170 I've ever spent (I'm in my 2nd 5 year period)!