Advice Needed - Cruise From NY

bowen9475

We are looking at the NY - Bermuda cruise leaving on Sunday June 23. Very likely taking a bus down from Worcester/Springfield. Considering coming down on Friday and spending Saturday in the city. Looking for advice on where to stay and how to get from the bus station to the hotel, to the port on Sunday for the cruise and then back to the bus station at the end of the cruise. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, bowen9475 said:

We are looking at the NY - Bermuda cruise leaving on Sunday June 23. Very likely taking a bus down from Worcester/Springfield. Considering coming down on Friday and spending Saturday in the city. Looking for advice on where to stay and how to get from the bus station to the hotel, to the port on Sunday for the cruise and then back to the bus station at the end of the cruise. Thank you!

What is your hotel budget?  2 people?  Bed size requirements?   Where does your bus arrive in NYC? Since your cruise is so close, your best bet is to use lastminutetravel.com or Hotwire and prepay the hotel.  It’s looking like about $250/night tax included in midtown. Uber or taxi to the hotel, hotel to port, and port to bus station. 

The last time I cruised out of NYC, we stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York, which is connected to Grand Central Terminal. We're cruising out of NYC again in August and plan on staying there again. We take the commuter train into the city, so it's convenient since the train goes to Grand Central. Then we just take an Uber to the port the following morning. 

49 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Do uber or lyft get hassled by the taxi drivers;  can they pick you up at your hotel?  Thanks

I never seen any interaction between them.  Last year about this time there was a sad story in the news, taxi owner/driver committed suscide, to own a nyc taxi you need a medallion which used to cost a million or so , he took out huge loan to buy it, now with Uber and lyft value has really went down. Was talking to taxi driver about that going back to airport. My dad had taxi and medallion fifty years ago bought it then for 25k ten or so years later he sold it for 50k. 

George C,  thank you for the story.  I did read about that taxi driver;  seems uber and lyft are taking the world by storm

Edited by AF-1
added txt