San Juan on the seaside

dwyrick68w

We have been to san Juan on carnival, but I was curious the nest things to do since the ship doesn't get in to port until 5pm. I know the forts will probably be closed. we want to skip the MSC shore excursions. BTW we are a fairly active mid 20's couple, but also like good food and drinks.  thanks for any suggestions in advance!

3 hours ago, dwyrick68w said:

We have been to san Juan on carnival, but I was curious the nest things to do since the ship doesn't get in to port until 5pm. I know the forts will probably be closed. we want to skip the MSC shore excursions. BTW we are a fairly active mid 20's couple, but also like good food and drinks.  thanks for any suggestions in advance!

You could check into the Bioluminescent Bay. Would have to be an independent tour.  There are beaches, try Condado, etc., if you want to swim and enjoy the sunset.  

Otherwise, walk around town, have a great meal, hit a club or music stop, etc. 

Lots of info and suggestions at the PR  Port Of Call forum here on CC

Our plan (my wife and I) is to just wander around the area checking out shops, restaurants, bars, scenery, etc. With the timing being what it is, we just felt like this worked best for us. We have researched some places, but will likely just go with the flow.

10 hours ago, reedprincess said:

You could check into the Bioluminescent Bay. Would have to be an independent tour.  There are beaches, try Condado, etc., if you want to swim and enjoy the sunset.  

Otherwise, walk around town, have a great meal, hit a club or music stop, etc. 

Lots of info and suggestions at the PR  Port Of Call forum here on CC

Hi...just wondering if the shops are open after 5 pm when we dock.

15 hours ago, dwyrick68w said:

Forts close at 6pm. We are going to try and get there quickly to see them for a bit. MSC isn't doing us any favors with the 5pm dock time. 

3 hours ago, Ladygmfd1 said:

Hi...just wondering if the shops are open after 5 pm when we dock.

There's some shops open after 5 and lots that are closed. They're well aware a major ship is in port, so some places remain open.  And restaurants, bars, etc open for business. Plenty to walk around and enjoy. 

Marmalade is fantastic.  You might see if the Bacardi distillery has any evening tours or events.  Sometimes they do.  There is a really cool bar called La Factoria which has different rooms for "ambience".  There's a jazz room, a piano room, a speakeasy type room, etc.  There are evening food tours available from a couple different vendors which are always fun and interesting.  If you're looking for pizza, Pirilo pizza is awesome.  Edited to add:  I would advise against the bio bay tours unless you're doing them on a ship excursion.  Most are on the other side of the island, don't start until dark, and I would very concerned about getting back in time.  But if they're offered through the ship and it's something you are interested in, look at a moon chart first.  You ideally want to go with as little moonlight as possible.  And it's not really as bright as all the photos make it out to be.  Still very neat to see, but not quite like pictured.  

Edited by Rou-Dyliq

Hey Everyone.   

We've been to Puerto Rico 13 times and it is MY favorite so here's my two cents on to do things at this port.

Since we don't dock until 5, we're limited.  So it is assumed we won't be eating on the ship that evening, and having

said that, there are plenty of dining options.  #1, in my opinion, is Raices.  Authentic PR cuisine.  The 7 pound pork chop is amazing, not dry at all, along with Mufongo (which is their answer to mashed potatoes - plantains fried in garlic and salt/pepper).  A must have while visiting PR.  Prillo Pizza Rustica for wood fire pizza which in my opinion, is #2.  

On Fort Aliza (I'll get the correct spelling), there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.  There is a cigar shop on that street  that the owner's daughter has a restaurant - again, authentic cuisine which was reasonably priced and VERY good.

Bacardi is a must, but their tours stop at 5p I believe, so we're out of luck.  It's always nice to get there and sample all of the up and coming flavors.    Disappointed we're not there longer........ an 8am to 11pm would have been nice.  Reason to revisit!

I like it so much that my golf foursome have chosen that as the November destination.  Over in Rio Grande are some amazing courses.  I'd go to PR for a week, without the cruise!

3 hours ago, jcathers1 said:

Can anyone advise whether there are "open container" laws in Old San Juan? Are you free to walk around with an adult beverage, or or laws more akin to those in the US?

Puerto Rico is the USA. And just as every State in the USA has they're own open container laws, if not every city for that matter, PR has their own too.. and yes, San Juan prohibits open container.. No drinking liquor as you're walking down the streets - which is somewhat off as places like Baranchini's serve their Pina coladas in to go cups. Lol..

• 2 weeks later...

We took pics at the forts.  There was a Walgreens and a Starbucks when we got off so we got some stuff we needed and a coffee.  We walked into town and had dinner at a local restaurant but then it got dark and had to navigate our way back to the ship.  Next year when we go I think we will stay closer to the ship.  

8 hours ago, puglady12 said:

We took pics at the forts.  There was a Walgreens and a Starbucks when we got off so we got some stuff we needed and a coffee.  We walked into town and had dinner at a local restaurant but then it got dark and had to navigate our way back to the ship.  Next year when we go I think we will stay closer to the ship.  

Why do you say you'll stay closer to the ship? 

When we came out of the restaurant at 9pm it was very dark and the streets were quiet and eery.  It was maybe a ten minute walk back.  There was a couple of strange people around asking for money.  Once we got back near the ship, there were tons of people and it was definitely the place to be!!  I'm sure its fine but I am a nervous nellie lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I had a 6 of Medala (beer) in a plastic bag from CVS.  I had one in my hand and walked right by a cop.  He smiled, I smiled... didn't seem to be an issue.  Now, a little ways up the street, I tripped on one of the cobble stones and a cop saw me.  It ensued a LONG conversation of him acussing me of being drunk and I'm to throw out the beer (the can I had).  

So........ really not clear on the laws......but in my opinion, if you're not causing trouble, I suppose it's all good.

We were there last week. The Seaside arrived early. I want to say we were off the ship at 430. We hopped in a taxi and got to the fort at 5pm and it closed at 6pm. Enough time for a general overview of the fort but not enough to be able to read all of the informational signs. It was only $6 and we enjoyed it. Than we walked back near the port and had dinner. 

The ship passes the fort on the way to the port. It's very beautiful and the ship gets close. This happened around 410pm i believe ..so be ready early for a possibility of an early arrival and taking in the sites as the ship approaches.

Edited by floridian1
  • Like 1