Cans of soda

FLsealegs

You can bring unlimited soda on board bu must carry it on.  On our last cruise we were waiting in the terminal for our 'number' to be called to board and a couple near us dropped a case of warm soda onto the floor.   Some of the cans exploded and created quite a mess.   The terminal personnel were not to pleased about it. 

I believe you can also do so in ports. (?)

When giving your luggage to the stevedores in Ft. Lauderdale, (and many other ports) the luggage is thrown into these large steel cages that, when full, are carried by fork lifts to the ship.   There are a lot of bags in those cages,  and if your bag is near the bottom, there is a huge amount of weight pressing on your bag that may have a case of soda or water hidden inside.   If your bag gets squashed, and a few cans of soda (or bottles of water) explode, your luggage will be destroyed, and every bag under yours will suffer the same fate.   That's why you must carry it on.    

Edited by TAD2005

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

When giving your luggage to the stevedores in Ft. Lauderdale, (and many other ports) the luggage is thrown into these large steel cages that, when full, are carried by fork lifts to the ship.   There are a lot of bags in those cages,  and if your bag is near the bottom, there is a huge amount of weight pressing on your bag that may have a case of soda or water hidden inside.   If your bag gets squashed, and a few cans of soda (or bottles of water) explode, your luggage will be destroyed, and every bag under yours will suffer the same fate.   That's why you must carry it on.    

Vey true experienec

carry on he cans!

On our last cruise - to Norway on the Princedam- cans of soda were 2.25 and glasses of soda were 2.00 (+ 15%). If you bought a soda card for $25, you got $50 credit and the cans were essentially $1.125 and the glasses were $1.00 each. Best bargain on the ship!  We didn’t bother bringing any soda on board.

DD

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DoggyDaddy said:

On our last cruise - to Norway on the Princedam- cans of soda were 2.25 and glasses of soda were 2.00 (+ 15%). If you bought a soda card for $25, you got $50 credit and the cans were essentially $1.125 and the glasses were $1.00 each. Best bargain on the ship!  We didn’t bother bringing any soda on board.

DD

Have you tried to use the soda fountain card in the Main Dining Room? if yes, how it goes? they let you use it?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, dada.mv said:

Have you tried to use the soda fountain card in the Main Dining Room? if yes, how it goes? they let you use it?

Thanks

Didn't try the soda (pay $25 for $50) card in MDR, but it worked just fine in Lido, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto on Koningsdam in February.

My son paid for the Quench package, which is considerably more expensive than the soda card; however, he liked it so much that he says he'll continue to buy this package as long as it's offered.  I calculated that HA started losing money by the fourth day of our cruise.  He had more than four or five sodas a day and ordered hot chocolate, cappuccino, and the non-alcohol cocktails by the dozen.  One lady in one of the lounges one evening even asked me how he could drink so much and remain upright.  She laughed when I explained he wasn't consuming any alcohol. 

With the Quench, he had no problem ordering any designer water brand, coffee, cappuccino, espresso,  soda, or nonalcoholic beverage in the MDR and specialty bars/restaurants like Dutch Cafe or PG.  He also enjoyed several smoothies every day.  I know this doesn't answer the question about the soda card, but perhaps it can help you make up your mind as to whether this type of card is worth the purchase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Didn't try the soda (pay $25 for $50) card in MDR, but it worked just fine in Lido, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto on Koningsdam in February. 

Can you only purchase the Soda card in the MDR?

I also pre-purchased it. I also pre-purchased a Gin and Tonic package which was fairly reasonable. At the end of the 14 day cruise, I finished the Gin and Mrs. DD had $1.10 left on. her soda card. She had a mix of glasses and cans. They also gave you unopened cans if you wanted to bring them back to your room.

DD

• Like 1

This is very good information, thank you. Can you tell me specifically how to pre-order?  I just went into our account for our upcoming cruise and looked at "gifts and indulgences" but could not find it.  Am I I looking in the wrong place?

22 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

This is very good information, thank you. Can you tell me specifically how to pre-order?  I just went into our account for our upcoming cruise and looked at "gifts and indulgences" but could not find it.  Am I I looking in the wrong place?

Did you purchase your cruise from HAL directly or from a TA?  If you purchased directly, sign into your account, go to My Bookings, click on the booking #.  If the site is working correctly, it will connect you to the page where you can book shore excursions, restaurants etc. for that cruise.  Scroll down that page.  On the left hand side, you'll notice a blue box with the heading X number of days until departure.  Just beneath that, you'll see a list of things to do/purchase.  Click on Purchase Beverages.  It will take you directly to all the beverage packages available.

If you purchased from a TA, ask the TA to call and buy the package or see if Ship Services (800-541-1576) will take your order.  Once you have purchased the package, ask for/copy a confirmation.  Take the confirmation with you because sometimes orders are "lost in translation" and you'll have no proof you purchased without the confirmation.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

16 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Did you purchase your cruise from HAL directly or from a TA?  If you purchased directly, sign into your account, go to My Bookings, click on the booking #.  If the site is working correctly, it will connect you to the page where you can book shore excursions, restaurants etc. for that cruise.  Scroll down that page.  On the left hand side, you'll notice a blue box with the heading X number of days until departure.  Just beneath that, you'll see a list of things to do/purchase.  Click on Purchase Beverages.  It will take you directly to all the beverage packages available. 

This works even if the cruise was purchased from a TA. That's how I purchased beverage cards after booking the cruise through my TA.

10 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

This works even if the cruise was purchased from a TA. That's how I purchased beverage cards after booking the cruise through my TA.

Okay, good to know.  Thanks.  Since our local TA, who was also a good friend, died, we've booked directly with HA.  Our PCC is efficient and attentive.  We've had no complaints with her service.

Thank you for the information.  The problem right now with online ordering is that the Culinary Indulgences screen is frozen and will not respond to any prompts.  In fact to get out of it you have to log out of your computer completely then log back in.  I called Ship Services, they are going to report the problem.  I was able to purchase the soda card through SS and am pleased about that.  Very grateful to my CC buddies...thank you!