Belfast--Need your opinion!

For those of you who have been to Belfast, this question is for you!  For a first-timer to the city on a cruise what would you recommend?   Do an excursion to Giant's Causeway or spend the day around the city itself?   We will be there July 4th, the excursion is about 5.5 hours and our ship will be in port from 10am-10pm.  If your recommendation is to stay in the city, what is it that you recommend making a priority to do/see?  Thanks so much!

You'll have time to do the excursion and see parts of the city. The Giants Causeway and surrounding area is beautiful and interesting. I'd also suggest doing a Black Taxi tour in the city. It takes around two hours and gives you a good historical perspective of "the troubles". If that doesn't interest you then I'd suggest the Titanic museum. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vanman said:

You'll have time to do the excursion and see parts of the city. The Giants Causeway and surrounding area is beautiful and interesting. I'd also suggest doing a Black Taxi tour in the city. It takes around two hours and gives you a good historical perspective of "the troubles". If that doesn't interest you then I'd suggest the Titanic museum. 

Sort of loath to give up The Giants Causeway especially because of what I keep hearing but our excursion doesn't get back until 5pm.  Titanic museum closes at 7pm and they won't allow people in almost 2 hrs prior to closing...just wouldn't make it.  Maybe I'll keep the excursion and try to do a taxi tour afterwards.  Hopefully they run the tours well into the evening.     Thanks!

If your tour to Giants Causeway leaves at 10:00 and has you back at 3:30 you could possibly also see the Titanic Experience (buy tickets in advance--they only sell a set number of tickets each day) until they close at 6:00 pm and then have a cab tour pick you up at the Titanic and take your round the Peace Wall.  When choosing a tour, keep in mind that there are two perspectives.  The Loyalists and the Republicans.  The information and slant will be quite different between them.

Personally I doubt if the Giants causeway tour will leave before 11:00. and you won't be able to see the Titanic.

The other option (and it would be mine) is to stay in Belfast, Get tickets for Titanic for around 11:00 am and spend four hours there.  Have a tour set for the Peace Walls around 3:00 pm.  

Other things to see and do are the Ulster Museum (free, but it's nice to put a donation into the collection bin), Crumlin Road Gaol, the area around City Hall where there are sometimes various vendors set up selling food, crafts, or whatever.  There is a nice exhibit in Belfast City Hall, and they also do tours a few times a day, I can't recall if there's a charge, if there is it's minimal.  Giant's Ring is a henge monument south of the city, you can get within about a half mile by UlsterBus.  There are daily tours of Stormont, although not much is going on there because...  I'm going to be quiet as what I would say is quite political.

All that aside, a few words to make you aware but not alarmed.  It's Marching Season.  July 12th (the Battle of the Boyne) is a major day in the ongoing and generally somewhat usually fairly peaceful struggle between the Loyalists and the Republicans.    During this time tensions run high.  With Brexit looming, they are running extremely high. 

Northern Ireland is screwed regardless in Brexit.  It would take a small book to even begin to try and explain all of the socio-economic and political issues affecting Northern Ireland, as it starts over 800 years ago.  The point is that you want to be keenly aware of your surroundings.  Don't enter neighborhoods flying a large number of British flags (obviously public buildings flying one British flag are to be expected, you are in the UK after all).  Steer clear of large stacks of wooden palettes, and don't enter areas displaying banners supporting "Soldier F."  These are all areas where any stranger will not be particularly welcomed.  If you stay in the downtown area around City Hall, Castle Court Mall, Primark--roughly bordered by High/Castle Street, the A1, Ormeau Road, and the A24.  If you are in a cab or on a bus you'll be perfectly safe.  Of course stay clear of crowds of people congregating for any reason.

Overall it's a very safe city.  Just use common sense and avoid areas that appear overly political--unless you are on a cab tour of the Peace Walls.  You'll be perfectly safe on those.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ducklite said:

If your tour to Giants Causeway leaves at 10:00 and has you back at 3:30 you could possibly also see the Titanic Experience (buy tickets in advance--they only sell a set number of tickets each day) until they close at 6:00 pm and then have a cab tour pick you up at the Titanic and take your round the Peace Wall.  When choosing a tour, keep in mind that there are two perspectives.  The Loyalists and the Republicans.  The information and slant will be quite different between them.

Personally I doubt if the Giants causeway tour will leave before 11:00. and you won't be able to see the Titanic.

The other option (and it would be mine) is to stay in Belfast, Get tickets for Titanic for around 11:00 am and spend four hours there.  Have a tour set for the Peace Walls around 3:00 pm.  

Other things to see and do are the Ulster Museum (free, but it's nice to put a donation into the collection bin), Crumlin Road Gaol, the area around City Hall where there are sometimes various vendors set up selling food, crafts, or whatever.  There is a nice exhibit in Belfast City Hall, and they also do tours a few times a day, I can't recall if there's a charge, if there is it's minimal.  Giant's Ring is a henge monument south of the city, you can get within about a half mile by UlsterBus.  There are daily tours of Stormont, although not much is going on there because...  I'm going to be quiet as what I would say is quite political.

All that aside, a few words to make you aware but not alarmed.  It's Marching Season.  July 12th (the Battle of the Boyne) is a major day in the ongoing and generally somewhat usually fairly peaceful struggle between the Loyalists and the Republicans.    During this time tensions run high.  With Brexit looming, they are running extremely high. 

Northern Ireland is screwed regardless in Brexit.  It would take a small book to even begin to try and explain all of the socio-economic and political issues affecting Northern Ireland, as it starts over 800 years ago.  The point is that you want to be keenly aware of your surroundings.  Don't enter neighborhoods flying a large number of British flags (obviously public buildings flying one British flag are to be expected, you are in the UK after all).  Steer clear of large stacks of wooden palettes, and don't enter areas displaying banners supporting "Soldier F."  These are all areas where any stranger will not be particularly welcomed.  If you stay in the downtown area around City Hall, Castle Court Mall, Primark--roughly bordered by High/Castle Street, the A1, Ormeau Road, and the A24.  If you are in a cab or on a bus you'll be perfectly safe.  Of course stay clear of crowds of people congregating for any reason.

Overall it's a very safe city.  Just use common sense and avoid areas that appear overly political--unless you are on a cab tour of the Peace Walls.  You'll be perfectly safe on those.  

ducklite --  Thank you for taking the time to reply.  Appreciate your insight, quite frankly had forgotten about the whole Brexit thing and wouldn't have minded you elaborating on it but also understand this isn't a political sight...I digress.     Will definitely take your input into consideration.   Thanks!

3 hours ago, Triptkr said:

ducklite --  Thank you for taking the time to reply.  Appreciate your insight, quite frankly had forgotten about the whole Brexit thing and wouldn't have minded you elaborating on it but also understand this isn't a political sight...I digress.     Will definitely take your input into consideration.   Thanks!

I think everyone from both sides would agree that all of the MP's who were elected to do a job need need to get back to Stormont and work out their differences in a diplomatic and responsible manner--or stop taking a paycheck, resign, and let someone else who is willing to work have the job.

I'm going to add two things to my list of things to do. 

St. Georges Market is so much fun--and I dare you to emerge without having made a purchase of some sort.  Hopefully they won't burn the Baps while you're there.  😞  Some of the stalls are permanent and don't change day to day while about half of them do.  Some of my favorite finds are the used book trader who has a number of out of print books on the history of NI, Ireland, and Britain as well as a lot of WWI and WWII books.  The Langan Ribs Sauces are a huge hit in our home.  I have a beautiful original water color by Glenn Thompson on my "travels wall" that I purchased there.  It's only open It's only open Friday through Sunday. from around 7:00 am through mid afternoon.

The other is a visit to the New Republican graves and monument at Milltown Cemetery.  Take a cab or an Uber and ask them to wait.  I would not advise trying to get there by bus.  If you are taking a Peace Wall Tour, most drivers with a Republican slant (and some with a Loyalist position) will add it to the tour for a few Euro.

If you have been to Belfast in the past and are looking for something unusual to pass a day, you can walk the route of the underground River--the Farset--from where it empties into the Langan at Donnegal Quay and more or less ends at the A-12.

May I piggy back on this question and ask the same thing, however we don't get into Belfast until 1:00 PM and leave at 11:00 PM? (I so which we had 10-10 as the original poster!!)

What would you do regarding Giant's Causeway and a bit of a tour with Belfast?  (We have a private excursion booked and we are thinking that we can ask for a bit of a tour around Belfast before being dropped back off at the port...)

It's a 90 minute drive to Giants Causeway.  Even if you dock at 1:00, you might not be off until 1:30 or so.  

Unfortunately there's not a lot open when you get back into Belfast after Giants Causeway--It would be around 6:00 earliest.

Perhaps your driver could show you some of the Peace Wall murals.  Or the Fish of Knowledge. 

Otherwise maybe have a pint or two at one of the pubs.  Five Points is my favorite, it's on the Dublin Road and they have live music nightly.  Any Belfast based driver will know the place.

Edited by ducklite

We used McComb's in Belfast.  First stop was the Titanic Museum (I think about 2 hours there) then off to Giant's Causeway.  The drive through the countryside was wonderful, commentary from the driver/guide was great.  Included a drive through the city on the way back.

• Like 1

Just got back from Belfast stop.  We did private tour and hit everything. Rope Bridge, Giant Causeway, lunch, Dunluce Castle, Dark Hedges and a quick tour around Belfast . We got off the ship around 9:20am and were back by 5:15pm .. 15 minutes prior to 5:30 all on board.  It was great!

On 6/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, ducklite said:

I'm going to add two things to my list of things to do. 

St. Georges Market is so much fun--and I dare you to emerge without having made a purchase of some sort.  Hopefully they won't burn the Baps while you're there.  😞  Some of the stalls are permanent and don't change day to day while about half of them do.  Some of my favorite finds are the used book trader who has a number of out of print books on the history of NI, Ireland, and Britain as well as a lot of WWI and WWII books.  The Langan Ribs Sauces are a huge hit in our home.  I have a beautiful original water color by Glenn Thompson on my "travels wall" that I purchased there.  It's only open It's only open Friday through Sunday. from around 7:00 am through mid afternoon.

The other is a visit to the New Republican graves and monument at Milltown Cemetery.  Take a cab or an Uber and ask them to wait.  I would not advise trying to get there by bus.  If you are taking a Peace Wall Tour, most drivers with a Republican slant (and some with a Loyalist position) will add it to the tour for a few Euro.

If you have been to Belfast in the past and are looking for something unusual to pass a day, you can walk the route of the underground River--the Farset--from where it empties into the Langan at Donnegal Quay and more or less ends at the A-12.

Dang it.  Turns out ignorance is bliss.  Now all I want to do is the St. Georges Market but of course we will be in town on a Thursday and it appears the market isn't open that day.   That would have been totally up our alley!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Just got back from Belfast stop.  We did private tour and hit everything. Rope Bridge, Giant Causeway, lunch, Dunluce Castle, Dark Hedges and a quick tour around Belfast . We got off the ship around 9:20am and were back by 5:15pm .. 15 minutes prior to 5:30 all on board.  It was great!

What company did you use?

On 6/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, ducklite said:

Interesting choice for tourists, visiting the graves of 77 Republican terrorists. But I’d say definitely go with a guide. The history of Irish nationalism is writ large across the cemetery, not just the new Republican plot, and it’s huge. I understand there are some overtly nationalist tours, some conducted by convicted terrorists, but no doubt some of the Black Cab tours would be more even-handed!

There’s also a Commonwealth War Graves memorial to British and Irish soldiers killed in the World Wars, unfortunately often under repair from vandalism, and a memorial to those killed in the Belfast Blitz. 

But it wouldn’t be my recommendation for someone with just a day in Belfast 🙂

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Interesting choice for tourists, visiting the graves of 77 Republican terrorists. But I’d say definitely go with a guide. The history of Irish nationalism is writ large across the cemetery, not just the new Republican plot, and it’s huge. I understand there are some overtly nationalist tours, some conducted by convicted terrorists, but no doubt some of the Black Cab tours would be more even-handed!

There’s also a Commonwealth War Graves memorial to British and Irish soldiers killed in the World Wars, unfortunately often under repair from vandalism, and a memorial to those killed in the Belfast Blitz. 

But it wouldn’t be my recommendation for someone with just a day in Belfast 🙂

No different than visiting the Titanic Exhibit and H&W where an entire segment of population was denied employment due to their religion.  Yet tens of thousands visit annually.  

9 hours ago, ducklite said:

No different than visiting the Titanic Exhibit and H&W where an entire segment of population was denied employment due to their religion.  Yet tens of thousands visit annually.  

I don't want to get overly political about this. But for all of the (real) difficulties that you refer to, I don't recall reading about Harland and Wolff denying them employment by murdering them. That would seem to be a bit of a difference!

11 hours ago, ducklite said:

No different 

😮🤣🤣🤣

My point stands though. If people in their one day in Belfast want an overview of Irish nationalism and the Republican terrorist organisations, a tour of Milltown, rather than just seeing the graves of the terrorists in the new plot, is probably the way to go. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I don't want to get overly political about this. But for all of the (real) difficulties that you refer to, I don't recall reading about Harland and Wolff denying them employment by murdering them. That would seem to be a bit of a difference!

Yet many neighborhoods in Belfast and County Antrim (where so many travel to see the Giants Causeway) are flying banners showing their support for Soldier F, even after Tony Blair stated the actions were "unjustified and unjustifiable."   Or are you saying that wasn't murder?  Your government sees it differently.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

Yet many neighborhoods in Belfast and County Antrim (where so many travel to see the Giants Causeway) are flying banners showing their support for Soldier F, even after Tony Blair stated the actions were "unjustified and unjustifiable."   Or are you saying that wasn't murder?  Your government sees it differently.

I just realized too late to edit that it was David Cameron, not Tony Blair who made the statement.  Apologies.

7 hours ago, ducklite said:

Yet many neighborhoods in Belfast and County Antrim (where so many travel to see the Giants Causeway) are flying banners showing their support for Soldier F, even after [David Cameron] stated the actions were "unjustified and unjustifiable."   Or are you saying that wasn't murder?  Your government sees it differently.

Look, there's lots of very difficult issues involved here, and a lot of murky past that continues to affect the present, as you say.

But it's well over the top to lump a visit to the Titanic exhibition into the same category as tours that are overtly and directly historical / political in their content. And even though Harland and Wolff has had its own sectarian issues, as you point out, it wasn't a perpetrator of sectarian violence of the kind associated with the terrorists. There's plenty of difference between visiting those places (or the Giant's Causeway for that matter) and visiting terrorist graves.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, Globaliser said:

Look, there's lots of very difficult issues involved here, and a lot of murky past that continues to affect the present, as you say.

But it's well over the top to lump a visit to the Titanic exhibition into the same category as tours that are overtly and directly historical / political in their content. And even though Harland and Wolff has had its own sectarian issues, as you point out, it wasn't a perpetrator of sectarian violence of the kind associated with the terrorists. There's plenty of difference between visiting those places (or the Giant's Causeway for that matter) and visiting terrorist graves.

We will have to agree to disagree.