Texting on the Ship

AnnieBabes

There is a bunch of us cruising together soon. Some of us bought the Wi-Fi package, some did not.

How do we communicate with each other on board? This is specifically for the ones who did not purchase wi-fi.

Anyone use the NCL app to communicate, If so, how does it work?

How do you communicate onboard?  I guess you could do what all of us did before there was even an Internet or texting and talk to each other.   Am serious.  DW and I do a lot of cruising and have never used texting onboard (even on lines that have it).  If we go our own ways we simply let each other know where we will be or agree to meet a specific time of place.  On the rare occasion when plans completely change we will leave a note in the cabin.  And then there is just knowing each others habits.  If I know that DW is somewhere on deck in a lounger and reading, I can simply walk around the deck and find her in a few minutes.

Hank

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Following . . .

Hope someone comes back with info on the NCL app.  

This is the info I received right now if you wish to use the NCL app onboard.

You can use the app for free to keep track of your onboard spending, view daily activities, book dining reservations, etc. However, if you wish to text/chat with others onboard there is a $10.00 activation charge per phone for the entire cruise.

Hope this helps :)

11 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

How about agreeing to meet at a defined place and time.  That is what my wife and I do,

DON

That would work for the adults. We have five teens who we want to be able to communicate with more efficiently.

13 hours ago, AnnieBabes said:

This is the info I received right now if you wish to use the NCL app onboard.

You can use the app for free to keep track of your onboard spending, view daily activities, book dining reservations, etc. However, if you wish to text/chat with others onboard there is a $10.00 activation charge per phone for the entire cruise.

Hope this helps 🙂

Yes, thanks!!  

Two of my SIL's are taking NCL for the first time later this year.  I'll pass this info on to them.  👍

9 hours ago, AnnieBabes said:

That would work for the adults. We have five teens who we want to be able to communicate with more efficiently.

The most efficient way yo communicate is to speak directly to the person or persons you wish to speak with.  With head and EYES in the phone you never really see what is going on around you, you only see the phone and text.

19 minutes ago, littlecruise said:

The most efficient way yo communicate is to speak directly to the person or persons you wish to speak with.  With head and EYES in the phone you never really see what is going on around you, you only see the phone and text.

More effective certainly, but not really more efficient.  Most efficient for communicating with others not standing next to you in this case would be texting.  But yeah, best communication happens face-to-face.  

Edited by ldubs

The only moderately successful texting is on Celebrity using their App. Yes, it's free! No need to signup for internet packages, etc., However, there's one big drawback, it's slow to send and receive and no "ding" to announce you have a message. 

Best way to communicate, is face to face, otherwise leave post-it's. 

How did we ever survive without all this technology.....and added stress!

Darcy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

More effective certainly, but not really more efficient.  Most efficient for communicating with others not standing next to you in this case would be texting.  But yeah, best communication happens face-to-face.  

We're not looking to have conversations on board, just a quick text to say meet here or there. With our teens who don't show up at our designated meeting time/place, we want to be able to text them to show up!

1 hour ago, AnnieBabes said:

We're not looking to have conversations on board, just a quick text to say meet here or there. With our teens who don't show up at our designated meeting time/place, we want to be able to text them to show up!

Oh, I understand completely.  I was responding to the other poster's comment.  

Anyway, I wish cell phones and the ability to text was a thing back when the our kids, nieces, and nephews were younger.  It would have made things so much easier.  In my opinion a one time $10 fee to enable texting is worth it if a large group or family.  

2 hours ago, WatchHill said:

How did we ever survive without all this technology.....and added stress!

Haha. We survived a lot of things but I sure don't want to give up changes that make our lives so much easier (and safer).  

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Oh, I understand completely.  I was responding to the other poster's comment.  

Anyway, I wish cell phones and the ability to text was a thing back when the our kids, nieces, and nephews were younger.  It would have made things so much easier.  In my opinion a one time $10 fee to enable texting is worth it if a large group or family.  

I think I responded to the wrong post :)  Others misunderstood and thought I wanted to have full on conversations through texting while I'm on vacation. That's just crazy talk! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:10 PM, Essiesmom said:

I think you will get some experienced answers of you ask on the board here for NCL, under Cruise Lines A-O.  EM

What’s App is a free messaging app that uses WiFi. I used it with a group traveling in Croatia last year. We were able to create a group. You can also call with it. I found it more efficient that Facebook Messenger which you can also use.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:07 AM, AnnieBabes said:

With our teens who don't show up at our designated meeting time/place,

Perhaps have a consequence the first time.  Like no pool time for a day.  Bet they'll behave after that.