Quiet family with tweens--recommendations?

waterfalls1111

Hi all,

We're a quiet family of four with two tweens aged 11 and 12. We're looking into our first cruise for 2020.

Ideally, we'd like something that's quiet and laid back--our kids tend to be low-key and very well-behaved and don't do well with big, screaming crowds (and neither do we!). We're looking for suggestions for a 4-6 day cruise to the Caribbean or the Bahamas (or really, anywhere we can use an East Coast port to depart and arrive). Our budget is fairly flexible, so if you think luxury lines might be better, please do let us know. 

Thanks very much!

Your kids sound a lot like my kids at that age - they are adults now, but have been cruising with us for years since my daughter was 5 and son 10. We started with Disney and that was a nice way to get introduced to cruising, but it is definitely a kid riot and super expensive. We discovered we loved cruising and looked around and tried a few different lines but ultimately found the one that suited our family best was Princess - a bit more refined and less overwhelming than Carnival, RCI or NCL but definitely much better for kids and more lively than Holland America. It may be a great fit for your family as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterfalls1111 said:

Hi all,

We're a quiet family of four with two tweens aged 11 and 12. We're looking into our first cruise for 2020.

Ideally, we'd like something that's quiet and laid back--our kids tend to be low-key and very well-behaved and don't do well with big, screaming crowds (and neither do we!). We're looking for suggestions for a 4-6 day cruise to the Caribbean or the Bahamas (or really, anywhere we can use an East Coast port to depart and arrive). Our budget is fairly flexible, so if you think luxury lines might be better, please do let us know. 

Thanks very much!

Hi, I am an older teen myself, and I completely understand. I am not a rambunctious teen, and I don't enjoy typical teen activities. I would recommend Celebrity, Princess or even NCL. RCI and CCL are too "fun" and your teens won't enjoy it as much. Cheers!

• Like 1

A 4-nighter, on any cruise line will have their share of "partiers" onboard.  Shorter cruises seem to make folks want to cram in as much fun as possible.  

Smaller, older ships have less "bells and whistles", and therefore less frantic activity.  Even on larger ships with many options, you are under no obligation to make use of those things you wish to avoid.

I agree that Princess or Celebrity....even HAL might be a good choice.  All still have "kids clubs", if your kiddos do feel the need to "mingle" with others of their kind!

Time of year will make a difference on what is available.  If you can wait until Winter, a 5 night cruise on Celebrity Infinity from Miami might work.  but if summer is when you want to go she would be in Alaska.  I think Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty NJ to Bermuda would be a wonderful option.  EM

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, waterfalls1111 said:

We're looking into our first cruise for 2020.

Ideally, we'd like something that's quiet and laid back

How much flexibility do you have with your dates?  Also do your kids have interest in kids clubs and meeting others their age?

We have four children, our youngest is 11, and none of them ever really liked the kids club scene.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, Essiesmom said:

Time of year will make a difference on what is available.  If you can wait until Winter, a 5 night cruise on Celebrity Infinity from Miami might work.  but if summer is when you want to go she would be in Alaska.  I think Celebrity Summit from Cape Liberty NJ to Bermuda would be a wonderful option.  EM

I agree with the advice on Summit to Bermuda.  We took our first cruise a day day to Bermuda in late September.  Very laid back, and great cruise.  We sailed on Grandeur, but Celebrity would be great too.  And if you live closer to Boston, NCL usually has a ship that sails to Bermuda.  

• 2 weeks later...

Kids, especially tweens and teens , will want to be part of choosing where your family should cruise and which activities are best. Incorporating some of their wishes will make the cruise a better experience for all family members. To build pre-vacation excitement, try to find age-appropriate books for your kids to read about your cruise destinations.

• Like 1