Just Off Armonia - Ask Away!

OceansOfTravels

Hello all,

I just returned home from a great week onboard the MSC Armonia, and yes, I was on a rerouted cruise originally intended for Havana. But, I started this thread to answer questions anyone has about the ship, MSC in general, the ports (I went to Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Key West), and whatever else may be on your minds. Ask away, and Happy cruising! 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicksmom333 said:

I hope you had a great cruise! Where was your cabin? Was lunch in the pub on embarkation day or only the buffet? Was there an opera as a show? What was the best show?

Hello! My cabin was 8142, an interior on deck 8, midship. Amazing cabin, very quiet, and it was actually a handicap room so I was not used to having that much space in a room on a ship!

On embarkation day, I had lunch in the buffet. However, I cannot tell you much else, as I boarded at 4PM due to a very late flight (never chancing that again lol). So, if the actual restaurant was open, I wouldn't be able to confirm. Maybe a previous cruiser will chime in.

During the Italian show, you will get to hear a lot of opera. It's a great show! I personally liked that show or the Addams Family show the most. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Hello all,

I just returned home from a great week onboard the MSC Armonia, and yes, I was on a rerouted cruise originally intended for Havana. But, I started this thread to answer questions anyone has about the ship, MSC in general, the ports (I went to Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Key West), and whatever else may be on your minds. Ask away, and Happy cruising! 😄

Any good liquor sales on the ship? Any activities that are not to miss? How many Beatles themed shows or music did they have? We leave Sun to drive down... 

Just now, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Any good liquor sales on the ship? Any activities that are not to miss? How many Beatles themed shows or music did they have? We leave Sun to drive down... 

Couldn't tell ya about liquor sales, I'm not a big drinker. I did take advantage of a 2 for 1 cocktail deal in Cozumel though :)

I actually really enjoyed Karaoke on this ship, I would definitely suggest going to at least one night of that. The Love/Marriage Gameshow (already forgot the exact name of it) was also very funny and I wouldn't miss that. Oh, and don't forget the White Party! I loved how the one on the Armonia was international themed, as each song went to a new country. A unique spin in comparison to the ones I went to on the Divina and Seaview.

Couldn't answer you on the Beatles in particular, I think just one? Maybe more, I know some of the performers played their songs at night, but there were multiple songs played, the show wasn't Beatles-themed. Most likely just one all-Beatles, I think. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Couldn't tell ya about liquor sales, I'm not a big drinker. I did take advantage of a 2 for 1 cocktail deal in Cozumel though 

While I do plan to have a few drinks. I was referring to bottles you buy to take home... sometimes they do a sale on all or just vodka or such... just curious since we have obc to use.

To OceansOfTravels:

Thank you for generously offering to answer questions.  Although we are experienced cruisers, this MSC Armonia cruise (Sep.9, 2019) will be our first time with MSC.  I'll be checking back with you when I have questions but any recommendations as to "Don't Miss This!" or "Might Want to PASS" would be appreciated. 🙂  TXgalSAM

We too are looking forward to the Sept 9 Armonia. We have cruised on various lines, last several years Carnival and then tried MSC Divina and loved it. Have also been on Seaside and booked Meraviglia for November. Saw a great price for Armonia two weeks ago and booked it. So now we go between Carnival and MSC. It is a very different experience and we enjoy that. So TXgalSAM I cannot give you any Armonia details but wanted you to know we have loved every time we have been on a MSC ship. Oh yes sign up for Meet&Mingle - if that event on the Armonia is anything like the ones on the Divina and Seaside it will be superb. 

• Like 1

This is my second attempt at this question...

We like a nightlight in the bathroom.  On our previous MSC cruises (Divina & Seaside) the outlet in the bathroom was not 'live' unless the lights were turned on. (This is true of Carnival ships also).  Is this also true for Armonia?  We are booked for August 26.   EM

cellfree - Good to hear from you.  I am so glad to hear good things about MSC.  (As with any cruise, there is a a lot of chatter on both sides.)  I could not find a cruise Roll Call so I created one.  Did you find a "Meet & Mingle" sign-up?  If so, please send me the link.

We (my husband and I) are flying out of Texas.  What about you? Will they let us bring an extension cord and, if so, can it be the regular US kind or does it need to be an adapter?  What have been the pros and cons of MSC, in general?

Hope to see you onboard!

Essiesmom - We take a plug in night light for the bathroom, but sometimes we just leave the bathroom light on and leave the door ajar (maybe putting a wash cloth at the base).  

Hopefully others will chime in for us both about MSC. 🙂  

We just booked MSC Armonia for August.  We sailed on MSC once, but it was 9 years ago.  So, I'd love to get some information that was unclear to me when looking online:

- Is gelato free?

- We got the free drinks package with our booking.  It says drinks up to $6 when looking online.  We don't drink coffee or alcohol.  So, what drinks besides bottled water and soda are included?  I'm specifically wondering about Fancy hot chocolates, zero proof cocktails (like pina coladas), smoothies, milkshakes?

- Don't need reservations for the theater on the Armonia, right?  Online description says the theater is small.  How early do we need to show up to get a decent seat?

- We status matched to the Gold Level.  With this came 1 hr in the thermal spa.  Any recommendations about how/when to take advantage of this time?

- Does the ship change time during the voyage?  That's one thing I remembered from our previous sailing from them. 

- Suggestions about Roatan & Grand Cayman with such short port times (Noon-6).  I'm concerned about timing with trying to book a non-ship sponsored tour (which is of course my preference).

Thanks for any help you (or anyone else) can provide!

Yes Gelato is free

You can get virgin Pina coladas on your drink package and if you want  just order a shot of rum and it is no longer a virgin

No you do not need to reserve seats for the shows, we arrived 15 minutes early and never has a problem finding seats. However we don't sit upfront.

Yes the ship changes time 

Never went to the spa so can't answer that question

• Thanks 1

TEXgalSAM

1) Re Meet & Mingle - this is how I found it - go to the “MSC Cruises Meet and Mingle MSC Seaside and Divina” and in the drop down box the Armonia shows up even though it is not on the subject line and go from there. I asked about adding the Armonia to the title of the that thread but perhaps it cannot be done. I did receive an email couple weeks ago saying that there would be a Party on our sailing.

2) Not sure about extension cord/adapter.

3) Pros and Cons - have been on an MSC sailing five times out of Miami. We have never had a bad experience. The staff has always been excellent. We have enjoyed the food. The entertainment is enjoyable. But everyone has their own expectations and every now and then there is someone having the worse cruise of their life. On our cruise in January we had the “drinks on us” and it worked out great for us. This time it is being called “all in” and we have not upgraded. (At embarkation on our first day we found a waiter in the Lobby, no one was there as everyone rushes to the buffet, he explained the package, he tweaked this and that for us, needless to say we frequented the Lobby before every dinner and often mid afternoon, he always saw us and always took care of us.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jdkbrim said:

We just booked MSC Armonia for August. 

jdkbrim - Hi!  Since you will be on board a couple of weeks before us, I'd really like to see what you think about the cruise, once you've completed it.  Hope I can touch bases again in the future.  (You are already ahead of us since this is our first MSC.)  🙂  TXgalSAM

Edited by TXgalSAM
computer defaults to giant text so I resized it smaller....

TXgalSAM...I'm going in with an open mind.  Honestly, MSC was our least favorite cruise of the ones we've taken because of how the kids' camp was for our kids 9 years ago.  But, an opportunity came up for a getaway and this cruise was priced the same as a 4 day on the cruiselines we've frequented more often.  So, we are willing to give MSC a try again.

Edited by jdkbrim

TXgalSAM - this is easier way to register for M&M - on cruisecritic.com search Meet&Mingle and go from there - hope to meet you on Armonia Sept. 9 cruise. 

Edited by cellfree
correct name
  • Like 1

We just booked this same itinerary in September: 

super excited, and we got a great deal!

anyway, question about FOOD:  hubby is a picky eater, I’m wondering if you have any foodie photos or pictures of the menu in the MDR? 

We did a 2 week back to back from 17 June-1st July. We had done this purely to get more time in Cuba so to be fair we were already disappointed when we started. We loved Cayman Islands and Roatan but overall we were disappointed with the cruise. More sea days on an already tiny ship made it feel extremely overcrowded compared to other lines we have cruised. Never a spot to be had by the pool on sea day. We also struck a most obnoxious man who kept telling us we were irresponsible for taking our baby on a cruise and it was abusive to have him in the heat. Everytime we encountered him in an elevator or at dinner he made a point of coming up to us and telling us we were bad parents. Now that is certainly not MSCs fault but still another notch in the disappointment we felt overall. I work as a TA and from my experience it's just not up to par with the other lines out there. An elderly lady next to us at the pool one night got her finger stuck in the pool lounger and required 8 stitches. When I told a pool attendant and pointed out all the blood on the deck he nodded, walked away and never came back. When we were walking after dinner a good 6 hrs later the blood was still there all over the deck. 

I realise  everyone likes different things on a cruise so mine is only one opinion, those that are yet to cruise may love it. 

Also happy to help with any questions