Dressing for Chic Evenings on Scandinavia/Baltic cruise

GDS Belgium

Can anyone tell me if guests on a Celebrity ship to Northern Europe/Baltics dress up on "Chic Evenings" more or less than if they were on a Caribbean cruise for example?   My husband and I think that people wanting a more "modern" style cruise go to the Caribbean so not sure what to expect on this one.  We know what the travel documents say but, would like to hear from people who have travelled on Celebrity to that part of Europe. 

From my perspective, really no different than the Caribbean cruises.  Sure on many European cruises you will find more people dressed in traditional formal wear but the numbers go from maybe 5% to 10%.  Sure there maybe twice as many people dressed formally but the number still isn't very large.  Plan on dressing for chic nights the same as you would in the Caribbean.  Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GDS Belgium said:

Can anyone tell me if guests on a Celebrity ship to Northern Europe/Baltics dress up on "Chic Evenings" more or less than if they were on a Caribbean cruise for example?   My husband and I think that people wanting a more "modern" style cruise go to the Caribbean so not sure what to expect on this one.  We know what the travel documents say but, would like to hear from people who have travelled on Celebrity to that part of Europe. 

•  

There is no difference in the dress code policy whether it be Europe/Baltic or Caribbean.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I just returned from a Baltic cruise on Celebrity and people dressed up more than on other nights, but definitely not as formal as when Celebrity used to have formal nights.  Many men didn’t wear jackets and not many women in long dresses.  Makes packing much easier.

Realize that you will be doing a lot of touring on this cruise and will be tired in the evening.  Keep it simple and you will be fine.  Did not notice any more 'formal" dress than in the Caribbean.  I wore shells w/a light sweater most nights and black pants.  DH wore a long sleeved dress shirt, no tie or jacket for Smart Chic nights and was most appropriate.

We did this itinerary last year and we do dress formally on formal (sorry.. Chic..) nights.  Where you go in the ship probably dictates the type of dress you see and I don;t go up to the cafe in the evenings.  But in Michael's, Luminae, specialty dining and the theater I would say closer to 50% were dressed relatively formally - not 5 - 10% as suggested. (As in suit and tie, not always black / white tie) .  I didn't go into MDR so I don;t know about there and certainly I would not expect any formal dress in the cafe.    There is no doubt that standards have relaxed and if you prefer a more day wear type suit - or no suit at all - I'm sure you'll feel fine.  But if you want to dress up you will also have sufficient company.

3 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

We did this itinerary last year and we do dress formally on formal (sorry.. Chic..) nights.  Where you go in the ship probably dictates the type of dress you see and I don;t go up to the cafe in the evenings.  But in Michael's, Luminae, specialty dining and the theater I would say closer to 50% were dressed relatively formally - not 5 - 10% as suggested. (As in suit and tie, not always black / white tie) . 

I can't speak to the suite dining but I'll suggest that you experience with the specialty restaurants may not be the norm.  If anything it's been my experience that fewer people in the specialty dining dress formally than in the MDR.  I have not seen anything remotely approaching 50% of the people dressed formally on chic nights (not formal nights) in recent years in any venue.

We have only done one Caribbean cruise and that was in 2012.  We did a great Royal C. cruise in Norway to the Arctic Circle and found more people dressing up.  We had a lot of Danish people on the ship as well as North Americans.

Our cruise was 11 nights and we had 6 ports, so it was a bit on the busy side.  I have stopped taking suits for the Formal/Chic nights.   I wear my leather jacket.  It is not a problem, but I was a bit surprised at how many tuxes and business suits that were on that cruise.

Since we were going to Norway in June, and needed to dress for cold weather (especially in the north), I didn't have room in my suitcase for a blazer.