how big is the veranda cabin on holland america?

F22mom

my sister, her friend and I want to share a veranda cabin. Not sure if this is a good idea because someone will have to sleep on rollaway couch. I think we may bumping into each other. any suggestions? how big is this cabin?

First, the best place for your research would the Holland America board. Can't give you the link right now, but hopefully someone will soon.

Secondly,  there are many ships at Holland America, many levels of balcony cabin, and thus a variety of sizes. So when you ask on the Holland America board, be as specific as possible.  Give the ship's name, the level of balcony cabin, and perhaps even the cabin number, if you can.

Lastly,  3 people stay in balcony cabins pretty frequently. It is definitely doable. Yes, it is not as big as a hotel room, so it will be a bit crowded. 

thanks I have looked on the cabin plans helpful but wanted more of a personal generic nature. Also, taking my 3rd cruise I have felt that most cabins are generic nature. never slept on a sofa bed and wanted an opinion on this.

39 minutes ago, F22mom said:

thanks I have looked on the cabin plans helpful but wanted more of a personal generic nature. Also, taking my 3rd cruise I have felt that most cabins are generic nature. never slept on a sofa bed and wanted an opinion on this.

The folks on the dedicated HAL board are HAL cruisers, which is why you would do best to ask there. 

• Like 1

Need to know the "class" of ship (what general age when she was built). In 2014, on the Zaandam (which is an R-class), my mom shared a Verandah or Vista Suite (no suite privileges, just a name) with my DH and me and there was LOTS of room -- each of us had a 'bank' of drawers to selves and lots of room in closets. The sofa bed flipped lengthwise to a twin-size, so no bars across the middle of the sleeper's back. Mom said it was very comfy.

The stewards made it back into a sofa each morning while we were at breakfast, so we could socialize around the table, and back to a bed while we were at dinner and show. It was a GREAT cabin for three.

Some of the newer ships may be smaller in dimensions, but we are still going to share again in a std balcony on the Nieuw Statendam in 2021. It looks like the space will be tighter, without all the drawers, but in the meantime DH and I have gotten very good at packing small, AND I have acquired fold-flat boxes to use as "drawers" on open shelves (within the closets).

• Like 1

I am in the planning stages here and I had a thought about the beds before pursuing this idea. Looked at one itinerary that is on the oosterdam. the veranda does not have a sofa bed but the suite has. This looks more comfy. I was wondering if the sofa bed was good. So if mom was ok with it then it should be ok. Just checking the size and the comfort level. thanks for that information it was helpful.

I've yet to sleep on a sofa bed that I consider "comfortable".  The size will be the same as any bed...at least a twin, if not a double...depends on the sofa!  If the cabin says it sleeps 3, then expect a twin sofa bed.

4 hours ago, F22mom said:

I am in the planning stages here and I had a thought about the beds before pursuing this idea. Looked at one itinerary that is on the oosterdam. the veranda does not have a sofa bed but the suite has. This looks more comfy. I was wondering if the sofa bed was good. So if mom was ok with it then it should be ok. Just checking the size and the comfort level. thanks for that information it was helpful.

We were three in a standard balcony cabin on the Oosterdam last November (bear in mind we were cruising with two adults and a child... but, the sofa bed was still down at night!), and you have to look carefully at the deck plans, as not all cabins will sleep three. Be aware that the sofa bed opens up parallel to the veranda door, so that when it’s all down and set up, you literally can’t get to your balcony without squeezing by with inches to spare between the bed and the vanity, or else jumping and walking across the sofa bed to access the veranda. It’s very tight. Now when the sofa is folded into just a seating area, it’s fine— small, but fine.