Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jgrahamiii

Wine Package

Recommended Posts

Hi guys.  I have read about the wine package - buy 7 bottles for $31 and enjoy 7 bottles up to $45, or something like that.  We have a 7 night cruise coming up on the Island, and I  I understand it may be available first night even on this length cruise, though not available on-line in advance.  I just had a question on how wine works.  This is my first time on Princess and not a lot of cruising before, mostly of the river variety.   I suppose the question applies to wine in general, not just to the package.

 

We likely will drink 7 bottles on the cruise, but sometimes we want different wines for a particular meal, or want some white and some red and won't finish both bottles.  If we purchase this package, can we order two bottles (a red and a white) on the same night, not drink all of either, and have these bottles stored and available the next night to finish?  Even if we go to a specialty restaurant one night, and a traditional seating the next?  Or do we have to take them to go, and then bring them back the next night?  Thanks for any help. -John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the wine package is only offered on cruises of at least 10 days.

 

You can have one or more bottles open at the end of dinner and the waitstaff will hold them to the next night. If you have traditional, they will usually have the bottle(s) waiting when you arrive. My wife likes white and I like red, so we often have 1 or 2 open bottles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great. Thanks!  I had read a post by at least one person that the gold package (all that's left) was offered on a 7 day cruise recently.  So I have hopes! -John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our last two cruises (October, '18, April, '19) they were not actively selling the packages.  I asked the MDR wait staff and they hooked me up with the front MDR personnel who did the transaction after the embarkation lunch. So, I would advise you to ask right away if you do not see anyone selling the package.  It worked quite well with us on a 28 day and 15 day cruise, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since wine availability varies you "may" find that some of the wines you want are not available. I've read posts from folks who purchased the package only to find out their desired wines weren't in stock. This "may" have been during the period when Princess was changing their offerings. Just something to be aware of when contemplating the wine package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I did see the comments about certain wines being unavailable, and finding out only after they bought the package. I have several wines on the current list I would order, so hopefully not an issue.  I figure I'll ask when we check in to the MDR first night and fine out if it is available. -John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgrahamiii said:

Great. Thanks!  I had read a post by at least one person that the gold package (all that's left) was offered on a 7 day cruise recently.  So I have hopes! -John

 

That was my experience on the Royal Princess in late April but it's no guarantee that it's a fleetwide policy change or if it was a test on that ship.  The maître d' said he never understood why it wasn't previously available on 7 day cruises.  On RCI they offered a 7 day wine package & I agree with the maître d' about not understanding the Princess policy to encourage wine sales.

 

Every time our dining room waitstaff happily sold us wine packages so I'd recommend asking them first.  I've had other staff say wine packages were unavailable (but they were eager to sell me an expensive all-inclusive drink package) but MDR waitstaff sold it to me.

 

Hopefully it works for your 7 day cruise but if not have a Plan B.  Besides our 1 fee free 750ml bottle per adult, we've brought on a couple of bottles from ports without paying the $15 fee but paid it when bringing it to enjoy with dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Every time our dining room waitstaff happily sold us wine packages so I'd recommend asking them first.  I've had other staff say wine packages were unavailable (but they were eager to sell me an expensive all-inclusive drink package) but MDR waitstaff sold it to me.

 

They get a bonus or incentive (such as extra time off or extra shore leave) for selling this stuff so are pretty motivated to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thrak said:

 

They get a bonus or incentive (such as extra time off or extra shore leave) for selling this stuff so are pretty motivated to do so.

 

Yes they do & I prefer to purchase my wine package from my waitstaff who will provide my wine at dinner so they'll get any benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be doing a 14 day, back to back on the Sky.  I will be traveling solo and cannot drink 7 bottles in one week, but definitely could over a course of two weeks.  If I bought the package the first night does anyone know if it could carry over throughout the cruise?  I did book it as a 14 day, rather than two seven day cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I will be doing a 14 day, back to back on the Sky.  I will be traveling solo and cannot drink 7 bottles in one week, but definitely could over a course of two weeks.  If I bought the package the first night does anyone know if it could carry over throughout the cruise?  I did book it as a 14 day, rather than two seven day cruises.

 

Our wine package on the Royal's B2B 7 day cruises carried over so you should be able to use your 7 bottles over your 14 day cruise. 🍷  You could also have a bottle sent to your cabin if you'd want to drink any there.

 

I confirmed that we could use our wine on the second cruise but even if not we could have had our remaining wine delivered to our cabin & bring bottles to dinner during the next cruise. 

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

 

Our wine package on the Royal's B2B 7 day cruises carried over so you should be able to use your 7 bottles over your 14 day cruise. 🍷  You could also have a bottle sent to your cabin if you'd want to drink any there.

 

I confirmed that we could use our wine on the second cruise but even if not we could have had our remaining wine delivered to our cabin & bring bottles to dinner during the next cruise. 

Great! I’ll be sure and check, and I will keep a bottle or two in my cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I will be doing a 14 day, back to back on the Sky.  I will be traveling solo and cannot drink 7 bottles in one week, but definitely could over a course of two weeks.  If I bought the package the first night does anyone know if it could carry over throughout the cruise?  I did book it as a 14 day, rather than two seven day cruises.

We have carried over bottles from the wine package to the second leg of a B2B. No Problem. I always make sure the staff knows we are sticking around so the bottle is not discarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paul929207 said:

We have carried over bottles from the wine package to the second leg of a B2B. No Problem. I always make sure the staff knows we are sticking around so the bottle is not discarded.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Geoherb's great posts, it appears that traditional dining is not available first night on our cruise from Whittier. Plus, we don't get to ship until after 5:30. Not sure if will be easily able to get MDR table and also thinking Horizon may be a great place to eat to watch sail away. If we go that route, do they have wine menu there? If they are selling gold package, would they sell it there?  With just 7 nights losing even one night may make package iffy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgrahamiii said:

Thanks to Geoherb's great posts, it appears that traditional dining is not available first night on our cruise from Whittier. Plus, we don't get to ship until after 5:30. Not sure if will be easily able to get MDR table and also thinking Horizon may be a great place to eat to watch sail away. If we go that route, do they have wine menu there? If they are selling gold package, would they sell it there?  With just 7 nights losing even one night may make package iffy. 

I would ask a waiter or manager in the Horizon on the first night or go to a MDR. Even if the MDR isn't open, personnel will be there to hopefully assist you. I have ordered a wine package previously on a 7 night cruise, although not advertised/promoted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  The MDR will be open when we arrive since we will arrive at 5:30 or later. I had been hoping to meet our waitstaff on the first night anyway, to get to know them a bit and then maybe do specialty place on the second night, which is normally a formal night.  But with the non-traditional only the first night, not sure if that will happen.  Maybe we'll try to eat in the "traditional" MDR that night and just ask who our regular waitstaff is and ask him/her, even if they are not "ours" that night. -John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...