Cabin prices

cruzincraven

Never cruised with Princess before but hope to book Alaska Cruise Tour for next summer.  I was wondering once you book a cruise with Princess, if the price goes down can you call and get the new price?  Also, is it better to book directly with the cruise line or through a travel agent?

7 minutes ago, cruzincraven said:

Never cruised with Princess before but hope to book Alaska Cruise Tour for next summer.  I was wondering once you book a cruise with Princess, if the price goes down can you call and get the new price?  Also, is it better to book directly with the cruise line or through a travel agent?

new price - yes - which may or may not be a good thing

8-12%

Some like to book with a TA while others like to book directly with Princess.  You can book initially through Princess and then transfer the booking to a TA.  The TA should take care of the transfer however Princess has instituted a new policy that you only have two weeks after booking to transfer it to a TA if I remember correctly.  We now always book through Princess as we have had bad luck with TA's.  

Watch your booking and if the price for your cabin goes down, call Princess or if booked through a TA, and request the lesser price.  The caveat here is that if the original booking included certain benefits (pre-paid gratuities, free drink package, OBC, etc) they will be lost on the new booking but you may be able to qualify for new benefits being offered at the time of rebooking.  

It is usually better to book through a T.A. T.A.'s can normally discount the fares and/or provide additional benefits beyond what a direct booking offers. Suggest you do not allow the T.A. to book the air. It is easy to do that yourself after the cruise tour has been booked. It is done in the cruise personlizer under Travel Arrangements - EZ Air. You can select your own flights and airports. Flexible air rates are generally lower than non-flexible and for flexible payment is made when you pay for the cruise. EZ Air also has offered some pretty good 1st class rates.

If the price for the cruisetour goes down it is possible to re-book. You will get whatever promo is in effect at the time. If your initial deposit was not refundable then you risk losing it. Most deposits are refundable.

Many times Alaska cruisetours sell out early. You have to watch if there may be lower fares or better promos.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruzincraven said:

Thanks for the advice.  I guess the general rule is you can request the new price up until the last payment is due. 

Yes.  And I have been using a discount agency in US and deal with a great agent I find compatibility with.  We get 15% off the commissionable fare portion.  I am one who looks into and manages/controls my own travel arrangements, but am quite willing to give up a little of that in order to get great cruise pricing.  Princess price can always be beat by shopping around a little.  If you are not used to dealing with a TA for cruising try hooking up with one through a bid/quote process.

7 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

We get 15% off the commissionable fare portion.

that's certainly better than 8% - 12% !!!

do I hear 16% ??

9 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

commissionable fare portion

does that amount change with price reductions or is it in stone at launch date. group rates, etc

just how much does your TA actually get to keep?

volume

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

that's certainly better than 8% - 12% !!!

do I hear 16% ??

does that amount change with price reductions or is it in stone at launch date. group rates, etc

just how much does your TA actually get to keep?

volume

It is better than any other pricing I have seen.  Actually, any agencies I have shopped calculate their discounts off the commissionable fare portion.  I think most people quote their discount as a percent of the total fare.  In that way you see a range quoted - as you did.  The total fare discount is going to be more when it is for a Balcony or Mini versus an Inside.  Also longer cruises will have a higher rate quoted due to more commissionable fare portion of the total fare.  The math is always consistent if you do it on commissionable portion only.  Outside of my TA the highest I have seen was 12% and someone who would do 13% over their normal 12%.  Others can be lower to 10%.  Not that I have surveyed enough agencies to have a comprehensive survey.

Never seen anything greater than 15%.

IDK how much TA gets .. never asked.  Also, I have heard the max Princess pays is 15%.  My agency must be making money someway.

Edited by steelers36
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Some like to book with a TA while others like to book directly with Princess.  You can book initially through Princess and then transfer the booking to a TA.  The TA should take care of the transfer however Princess has instituted a new policy that you only have two weeks after booking to transfer it to a TA if I remember correctly.  We now always book through Princess as we have had bad luck with TA's.  

I believe the time limit for transferring a booking to a TA is 2 months (actually 60 days) not 2 weeks.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, cruzincraven said:

You will need to cancel your current booking to get the new price change.  That may be good or bad depending on your current perks.

Before you change make sure the price drop benefits your situation, such as, how much OBC will you lose to gain the price drop.  If the price drop is more than you will lose in OBC, then it may be beneficial. Good luck