Large group boarding suggestions?

Banks822

We have a group of 21 going on the Breeze out of Port Canaveral. Because we have 6 rooms booked we've decided against trying to get FTTF for each room. What time would you suggest checking in with that size of group? Over half are 1st time cruisers so I'm doing my best to keep everything as simple and smooth as possible. We have never cruised without FTTF and so I'm not sure about how long the wait is without it. Thanks for any helpful suggestions you have! 

I suggest that you all meet for lunch at a restaurant in town and then board between 12;30 and 1:30. Everyone's cabins will be ready for them to drop off their luggage and then you can all head up to Lido for some sun and a beverage. You should be able to board quickly ans easily at this hour.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Banks822 said:

We have a group of 21 going on the Breeze out of Port Canaveral. Because we have 6 rooms booked we've decided against trying to get FTTF for each room. What time would you suggest checking in with that size of group? Over half are 1st time cruisers so I'm doing my best to keep everything as simple and smooth as possible. We have never cruised without FTTF and so I'm not sure about how long the wait is without it. Thanks for any helpful suggestions you have! 

Have everyone arrive about 1/2 hour prior to the last boarding time assigned. Stay in cabin groups and check in.  All meet in the lounge area and then board together. The procedure should go smoothly, you will be on board eating lunch before you know it. If you all board around 1230pm there should be minimum delay.  Give the 1st timers a short briefing on the boarding procedures so they will know what to expect. Have a great cruise.

Edited by skrufy
  • Like 1

I would suggest each cabin board within their 1/2 hour appointment time.  If they arrive earlier or later, they may have to wait in a much longer early/late line.  I would plan a time around 2:00 pm for everyone to meet up.  Since the ship is still in port, people can still communicate with their cell phones.

• Like 1

We had a large group as part of a surprise birthday cruise. We had around 20 people or so also. We all boarded when ever our scheduled time was. This way we were able to enjoy the fun of roaming the ship and getting some drinks before we sailed off.

Then we had a scheduled time to meet at a specific bar (we picked one of the dance clubs that we knew would be closed at that time) This worked as the surprise for the birthday girl, but would work as just a meeting place for everyone in your group once everyone is on.

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above with emphasis on WHERE you're going to meet and at WHAT TIME once everybody goes to their cabins and gets separated from the group. Cell phone is a terrific idea.

I take groups of new cruisers this size and larger. I do all the prep work ahead of time so that they feel well equipped to board by each cabin group. A group page at the website where you can create private groups for chatting, sharing info etc - works very well. 

We usually plan lunch at the pasta bar since it is the least busy on embarkation day and we usually sail the ships that have them. If we plan to meet at 1:30, that gives everyone time to check in, drop off bags and even the stragglers have time to order pasta or grab other things from downstairs. Since you are sailing on the Breeze, that would be my suggestion. If some people want to arrive and check in earlier or even buy FTTF for themselves, the group meet up would still work smoothly regardless. Keeping a large group of cabins together through check in isn't simple and usually isn't necessary.

If you can't imagine doing it any other way, then I would definitely have the whole group choose the latest available check in window. It would be a good idea, in this case, to be sure to feed children and those who might suffer from lunch running very late. I really like prepping people and then having them check in on thier own. Being self sufficient is a great way to start a week long cruise. As much as I LOVE preparing people for thier cruise, once we set sail, it is nice to just relax. Except for having dinner together and hosting one excursion, I appreciate having some time to just enjoy my week . This is important whether you do this for your family, just for fun, or for a living. 

Have fun !!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:54 PM, Lottacruises said:

Don't any of those new cruisers want to do their own exploring and figuring things out?

No, I have planned the whole cruise for everyone including excursions. We intend to do most things together and some separate. That’s the way the group wanted it, and I don’t mind, but I also don’t want to be over stressed either.