Sunscreen in St. Thomas/St. John

cpl100

I see in my RC excursions that this port only allows biodegradeable sunscreen which is non-harming to local aqua life.  What does everyone use there?  How do they police it?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, cpl100 said:

I see in my RC excursions that this port only allows biodegradeable sunscreen which is non-harming to local aqua life.  What does everyone use there?  How do they police it?  Thanks!

I've never heard of such a thing.

I use Australian Gold SPF 50 Sport Broad Spectrum Active Sunscreen Lotion(with 80 minutes of water resistance) on everything, and always wear a hat. Half a dozen or so different types of chap stick for my lips.

SPF 1000 Sun Sleeves on my arms in the late afternoon sun and white cotton gloves for the backs of my hands in an emergency.

The sun on Trunk Bay at 3pm eats SPF 50 Sunscreen like it's ice cream. 

Good luck Todd

• Like 1

The law was passed but is not yet in effect. The stores will at some point stop selling sunscreen that is not reef safe but people can bring their own or buy online. The cruise line probably considers they are helping the environment by making that announcement now instead of waiting for the implementation.

• Like 1

Reef-safe sunscreens are becoming more prevalent on many islands of the Caribbean.  Last October, our snorkeling excursion in Bonaire strongly recommended reef-safe sunscreen.  Coral reefs are increasing becoming endangered, and some ingredients in sunscreens are actually toxic to the organisms.  Reef-safe sunscreen is just as effective but doesn’t contains the toxic ingredients.  I don’t know about any laws requiring it, but it’s not difficult to find.  I recently bought some at Costco for this summer’s travels, and you can easily find it on Amazon, too.   I consider it a truly minimum effort to help conserve these beautiful natural environments that do so much to enhance our ocean-going experience – JMHO  

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, OT-Miami said:

Reef-safe sunscreens are becoming more prevalent on many islands of the Caribbean.  Last October, our snorkeling excursion in Bonaire strongly recommended reef-safe sunscreen.  Coral reefs are increasing becoming endangered, and some ingredients in sunscreens are actually toxic to the organisms.  Reef-safe sunscreen is just as effective but doesn’t contains the toxic ingredients.  I don’t know about any laws requiring it, but it’s not difficult to find.  I recently bought some at Costco for this summer’s travels, and you can easily find it on Amazon, too.   I consider it a truly minimum effort to help conserve these beautiful natural environments that do so much to enhance our ocean-going experience – JMHO  

I completely agree.  We need to remember it is their home, not ours.  Reef safe sunscreen is an easy way to help save our oceans. 

• Like 1

Doctor says stay out of the sun, so what do I do, go to the beach.  I hate putting on sunscreen - solution:

Rash Guards - love 'em

I only have to put a little sunscreen on my hands, feet, neck, and face.  If I'm just sitting in the water, I wear the hat (pictured).  If I'm swimming/snorkeling, I have a beanie cap -- all UPF 50 or above.

IMG_20190624_074647547rashguard.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:51 AM, SpaceCowboy9 said:

Doctor says stay out of the sun, so what do I do, go to the beach.  I hate putting on sunscreen - solution:

Rash Guards - love 'em

I only have to put a little sunscreen on my hands, feet, neck, and face.  If I'm just sitting in the water, I wear the hat (pictured).  If I'm swimming/snorkeling, I have a beanie cap -- all UPF 50 or above.

Have never heard of rash guards!

4 minutes ago, cpl100 said:

Have never heard of rash guards!

They were originally designed for surfers and divers to avoid, well, a rash,  from coral, etc.  They also provide pretty good sun  protection. 

Lately they are just referred to as SPF protection shirts.  Widely available everywhere in Florida, and on sporting goods websites like LL Bean,  maybe in beachy / fishing , or sporting goods type stores in your area in the summer. 

• Like 1

I use Alba sunscreen.  It doesn't cake on and is easy to rub in.  Some are very hard to rub in so you don't have white left over.  I've gotten it and Kroger and Walmart.  I have also heard good things about Badger sunscreen.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, SpaceCowboy9 said:

Rash Guards - love 'em

I don't think I could dress like that when it's in the 80's..... :)

I do wear a short sleeve rash guard when snorkeling - they're great.