"Stinger Suits" for snokeling or swimming near Cairns

I understand that a "stringer Suit" is  for protection from Jellyfish Stingers,  Would a lycra type sun/swim leggings with long sleeve sun/swim top offer the protections needed for snokeling in the Great Barrier Reef area?  We will be there later part of March 2020.

Thanks for information on "Stinger Suits" and Port Douglas trips.

Yes it would. In the past, some people used to wear two pairs of pantyhose - one in the way they were intended and the other with a hole cut in the crotch and worn over the head to cover the arms.

The more dangerous jelly fish, the Box Jellyfish (Chironex Fleckeri), breed in the creeks so are more likely to be found close to shore. An extensive sting from this jellyfish's tentacles has been known to cause death.

The Irikandji jellyfish can be found further off-shore. It is only thumb-sized but a sting from its tentacles is extremely painful and requires hospital treatment. There are claims it has caused one or two deaths.

First-aid treatment for these stings is pouring vinegar over the area to neutralize the stings.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

As long as the articles of clothing are tight to the body so that the stingers cannot get into /underneath them, they should be fine.

I don't think the concern is that box jellyfish would get into or under clothes. The jelly fish are around one foot in diameter with several tentacles up to ten feet long.

10 hours ago, MSEm said:

I understand that a "stringer Suit" is  for protection from Jellyfish Stingers,  Would a lycra type sun/swim leggings with long sleeve sun/swim top offer the protections needed for snokeling in the Great Barrier Reef area?  We will be there later part of March 2020.

Thanks for information on "Stinger Suits" and Port Douglas trips.

That would work just fine if you have them.  Otherwise 2 pairs of stockings as Aus Traveller says, make a cost effective alternative.

I have also swam in 1 or 3mm wetsuits, but this is a not very refreshing.

50 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think the concern is that box jellyfish would get into or under clothes. The jelly fish are around one foot in diameter with several tentacles up to ten feet long.

wouldn't want a tentacle getting under the clothes either.

Thank you for the information on Stinger Suits.  Being very fair, (I always burn;  never tan), I have the leggings and long sleeved top to protect from the sun.  Much easier to avoid the sun with the leggings & top than trying to smear on sunscreen.

8 hours ago, MSEm said:

Thank you for the information on Stinger Suits.  Being very fair, (I always burn;  never tan), I have the leggings and long sleeved top to protect from the sun.  Much easier to avoid the sun with the leggings & top than trying to smear on sunscreen.

Definitely a good plan.

23 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

....some people used to wear two pairs of pantyhose - one in the way they were intended and the other with a hole cut in the crotch and worn over the head to cover the arms.

Doesn't everyone wear their pantyhose this way?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I haven't worn Pantyhose but if I were to wear them for swimming, I would want the ones with the black seem down the backs of my legs. Wouldn't want the sharks to think I am unfashionable.

Oh: the old stockings with seams. They had to be put on carefully so the seam was straight and it was an 'art' for the wearer to check that her seams were straight.

1 hour ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:
On 7/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, MicCanberra said:

Wouldn't want the sharks to think I am unfashionable.

Yup, that was my reason for stopping wearing them too

😎

I still haven't stopped them but did have give up the fishnets as I didn't want to feature on deadliest catch!

Plus whales kept getting tangled

😁

Edited by banzaii

25 minutes ago, banzaii said:

I still haven't stopped them but did have give up the fishnets as I didn't want to feature on deadliest catch!

Plus whales kept getting tangled

😁

That would have been a downer,😋

They say these jelly fish are only around in summer - but they HAVE been found all year. There have been numerous deaths from the stings of both. They are to be taken seriously when you are in Queensland waters:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-05/irukandji-jellyfish-found-in-greater-numbers-in-queensland-south/10686956

Edited by Porky55