Live from the Sunrise 7/22 sailing review

jimbo5544

37 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

How was disembarkation in NYC? On Horizon last year, it was horrible, and slow, even when we carried off our luggage!

It was a mess, we did regular debark and the people directing is made it worse.  People from 4 directions trying to get ro 2 customs agents.  Being told to go left and then yelled at to get back to the right.  Probably the worst debark we have ever had.  Usually do self debark but hd some in our group who needed regular ao went with the flow.    Bad choice.  This was the first time we did regular debark in Nee York and usually the first off.  Getting cleared from customs was late also.  

Edited by jimbo5544

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

It was a mess, we did regular debark and the people directing is made it worse.  People from 4 directions trying to get ro 2 customs agents.  Being told to go left and then yelled at to get back to the right.  Probably the worst debark we have ever had.  Usually do self debark but hd some in our group who needed regular ao went with the flow.    Bad choice.  This was the first time we did regular debark in Nee York and usually the first off.  Getting cleared feom customs was late also.  

Yep, this is exactly why I dread disembarking in New York! Embarkation is fun, but not the other way around!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

So the Best way is, self early?

I wish I knew the answer to your question.  What I can say is our experience.  We are Diamond and usually get off with the first bunch of people and I can say that when we do this, we have not had problems (Jeff, can you impart some of your experience and  wisdom?).  I will give some of my thoughts about what I think can be done to make it better, in my final thoughts.

So lets talk about debarkation.  As usual, we were up early and I have posted a couple of the pics here that I took as we approached the city.  Breakfast was fast and easy for all and we had made plans for our group to get off regular debarkation group 5.  We had group 1.  We went down to the Radiance dining room (mid) lower level as we were instructed.  This is where Diamond and Plat self debark go as well, so that when available, they exit the ship first and are closest to the exit on 3.  The ship had a delayed custom  turnover (do not know the reason for that) and that might have been toe problem.  They did not start self debarkation till almost 8:45 (Plat and Diamond).  Half way thru this they started regular debarkation and then stopped as the baggage area was full and the crowds started backing up on the ramps from the ships.  My wife was a few ahead and went thru and I was trying to catch up and got stopped.  

When we finally got down they directed us down the building further before entering and then looping back up to where zone 1 bags were.  IF all had gone as plan, it probably would not have been an issue, but then once we had our bags they wanted us to go back to where Zone 6 bags were and then come back up to the customs agents.  To further complicate the issue there was a large party (maybe a family of about 10) who were blocking the way to the 1 busy custom agent.  A worker was getting a little harried to me to get out if the way.....I asked where to.....she said end of the line....I asked, show me a line and I would be happy to....my wife told me to shut up.   Ahhhhh that feels better. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 1stTimeRoyal said:

Yes, absolutely.  We were in the car by 8:55 AM.

Easiest embarkation/disembarkation I’ve ever had, not even close.

If it were the wife and I I would probably agree.  

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If it were the wife and I I would probably agree.  

Our kids are 10 and 8 and finally old enough to help wheel around their own suitcase.

We left the room around 8:00, went to deck 4.  First time we ever did self-carry and i don’t think we can go back.

we were on the Anthem of the Seas last year and it was so bad.  This was so much nicer.   But, much like our not so great steakhouse meal, everyone’s experiences are different.

All in all we had a really good time.  Absolutely fantastic staff on the ship, and no problems bad enough to really interrupt our enjoyment of the vacation.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1stTimeRoyal said:

Our kids are 10 and 8 and finally old enough to help wheel around their own suitcase.

We left the room around 8:00, went to deck 4.  First time we ever did self-carry and i don’t think we can go back.

we were on the Anthem of the Seas last year and it was so bad.  This was so much nicer.   But, much like our not so great steakhouse meal, everyone’s experiences are different.

All in all we had a really good time.  Absolutely fantastic staff on the ship, and no problems bad enough to really interrupt our enjoyment of the vacation.  

I agree with all you have said, and def agree on the crew.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I wish I knew the answer to your question.  What I can say is our experience.  We are Diamond and usually get off with the first bunch of people and I can say that when we do this, we have not had problems (Jeff, can you impart some of your experience and  wisdom?).  I will give some of my thoughts about what I think can be done to make it better, in my final thoughts.

First off, if you can do self assist, do it. it will be the quickest way to debark the ship and get out of dodge at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. We have cruised from New York twenty times, all but one from the MCT. Regular debarkation will ALWAYS take longer here. After several discussions with hotel managers aboard ship this is the reason why. As most of you know, and if you didn't know, now you do, the MCT is out on the pier over the water, so the space for the luggage claim area is pretty tight and restricted. This means that ALL the luggage has to be off the ship and the forklifts out of the area BEFORE regular debarkation can begin. At most other cruise terminals regular debarkation can begin once a certain amount of luggage has been delivered. Being Platinum, and then Diamond, we've claimed our luggage even as the higher numbered luggage was still being delivered from the ship. This speeds up the process. That doesn't happen here.

Now when it's just Ryan and I cruising, we do self assist. When I cruise with Patti, which is almost always, we do the regular debarkation. She just has to bring the body bag with the kitchen sink in it!  :classic_biggrin: Having the #1 tags is a big advantage here, and I can say we really haven't had any problems here, except for the fact that it takes a bit longer before regular debarkation begins. I can certainly see why regular debarkation can back up pretty quickly. On Journeys cruises where there will be more luggage, and an older crowd which may not want to carry their own bags off, it's plain to see why those debarkations were horrendous. So to sum it up..... Do self assist if able! :classic_cool:

3 hours ago, thesmiths said:

So the Best way is, self early?

For us, the best way is to wait for everyone to get off!We leave the cabin around 8, head to Lido for a leisurely breakfast and then hang out until they are making last call. We walk right off, grab our bags, breeze thru customs and out the door. 

Pat

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So lets talk about debarkation.  As usual, we were up early and I have posted a couple of the pics here that I took as we approached the city.  Breakfast was fast and easy for all and we had made plans for our group to get off regular debarkation group 5.  We had group 1.  We went down to the Radiance dining room (mid) lower level as we were instructed.  This is where Diamond and Plat self debark go as well, so that when available, they exit the ship first and are closest to the exit on 3.  The ship had a delayed custom  turnover (do not know the reason for that) and that might have been toe problem.  They did not start self debarkation till almost 8:45 (Plat and Diamond).  Half way thru this they started regular debarkation and then stopped as the baggage area was full and the crowds started backing up on the ramps from the ships.  My wife was a few ahead and went thru and I was trying to catch up and got stopped.  

When we finally got down they directed us down the building further before entering and then looping back up to where zone 1 bags were.  IF all had gone as plan, it probably would not have been an issue, but then once we had our bags they wanted us to go back to where Zone 6 bags were and then come back up to the customs agents.  To further complicate the issue there was a large party (maybe a family of about 10) who were blocking the way to the 1 busy custom agent.  A worker was getting a little harried to me to get out if the way.....I asked where to.....she said end of the line....I asked, show me a line and I would be happy to....my wife told me to shut up.   Ahhhhh that feels better. 

We also left the Sunrise today and I have to say the disembark was awful.  We had group 1 and went down to Radiance at 8:45 and were told we could get our luggage.  They let us off the ship but customs said they did not clear it yet.  We could not get back to the ship and we could not stay in the customs building.  We had to sit outside on concrete between the ship and building.  Luckily it was not very hot like when we left.

After about 20 minutes, they said the luggage is ready so we got in line and went to get the luggage only to be told it was not ready.  We said we were told it was, lady talked to supervisor and said group 1 is ready, we just don't announce it.  The good thing was there were 4 people at the customs checkout so we did not have the fiasco jimbo had but I could imagine how bad it would have gotten.

Got to LGA on time and back in Chicago.  Overall great cruise.

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

First off, if you can do self assist, do it. it will be the quickest way to debark the ship and get out of dodge at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. We have cruised from New York twenty times, all but one from the MCT. Regular debarkation will ALWAYS take longer here. After several discussions with hotel managers aboard ship this is the reason why. As most of you know, and if you didn't know, now you do, the MCT is out on the pier over the water, so the space for the luggage claim area is pretty tight and restricted. This means that ALL the luggage has to be off the ship and the forklifts out of the area BEFORE regular debarkation can begin. At most other cruise terminals regular debarkation can begin once a certain amount of luggage has been delivered. Being Platinum, and then Diamond, we've claimed our luggage even as the higher numbered luggage was still being delivered from the ship. This speeds up the process. That doesn't happen here.

Now when it's just Ryan and I cruising, we do self assist. When I cruise with Patti, which is almost always, we do the regular debarkation. She just has to bring the body bag with the kitchen sink in it!  :classic_biggrin: Having the #1 tags is a big advantage here, and I can say we really haven't had any problems here, except for the fact that it takes a bit longer before regular debarkation begins. I can certainly see why regular debarkation can back up pretty quickly. On Journeys cruises where there will be more luggage, and an older crowd which may not want to carry their own bags off, it's plain to see why those debarkations were horrendous. So to sum it up..... Do self assist if able! :classic_cool:

Thanks Jeff!

52 minutes ago, Howlonguntilmynextcruise? said:

I was on this sailing too! These guys were having a blast at the Red Frog last night, dancing with everyone! 

They had a great time.  This is the 4th group that we have done high school graduation family cruises with.  Never had a problem and this group was no exception.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cccer said:

We also left the Sunrise today and I have to say the disembark was awful.  We had group 1 and went down to Radiance at 8:45 and were told we could get our luggage.  They let us off the ship but customs said they did not clear it yet.  We could not get back to the ship and we could not stay in the customs building.  We had to sit outside on concrete between the ship and building.  Luckily it was not very hot like when we left.

After about 20 minutes, they said the luggage is ready so we got in line and went to get the luggage only to be told it was not ready.  We said we were told it was, lady talked to supervisor and said group 1 is ready, we just don't announce it.  The good thing was there were 4 people at the customs checkout so we did not have the fiasco jimbo had but I could imagine how bad it would have gotten.

I saw you guys standing there and wondered what was going on.  

44 minutes ago, cccer said:

43 minutes ago, cccer said:

1 minute ago, Howlonguntilmynextcruise? said:

I think I saw them on Sunday night too getting some pictures taken with an avocado?

LOL, I did not hang around with them all that much other then some things we all did together.  Really cannot comment on the Avocado....but it does sound interesting....

Welcome home Jimbo, I liked the live update format. I know it's a pain but the debarkation at NYC is a must, I'd never want someone to get away with some terrible act because they weren't being thorough. To be honest, I wish other ports did a more thorough job.

They spend so much time forcing us to do the stupid muster drill, at least customs serves a practical purpose.

• Like 1